Swollen eyes on beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblade

Not so new Member
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone could help me out...
i looked into my beardie enclosure and i found one of the beardies with swollen eyes like one of those bubble eye fish... he has been living in there for about a year and i have never seen his eyes like that before... but as soon as i opened his enclosure to see if he was ok his eyes went back to normal, that was a week ago and it hasnt happened since either.... was wondering if anyone knew if that is normal or is there something wrong?
Thanx
Carlos

Hi, supposedly having a fine sand substrate can irritate the eyes of beardies, possibly you opening the enclosure lead him to blink and the sand was removed (that is just a biiggg guess).

yea i know what your talking about. When i used to have a beardy he did it and my gippsland water dragons do it on occasion. No idea why they do it, but I doubt there is anything wrong with your beardy. If you really want to find out, give the vet a call!
Simon

hey guys,
it happens to my guys aswell, i told the vet and he says its quite natural its when there really relaxed.nothing to be worried about

LAMU

They do that when they are nearing shedding time as it make the skin around their eyes loose.

Thanx guys for the replies... its not the fine substrate because i only have paper in there at the moment... and it hasnt happened again so im not that worried about it now...
but come to think of it when it did heppen he was really relaxed just had a big feed and was on a warm peice of rock.. so i think you are right Lamu
Thanx
Carlos

Mine do it as a 'stretch' - and they do it ALL the time ;)
Nothing to worry about at all.
Bex ;)

mine do it as well ,id go with the shedding idea because its mainly at that time, i kept large numbers of beardeds and they all do it some more than others and yes its at shedding time

Howdy, all of the US vitticeps web sites quote this as being associated with shedding and is perfectly normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back