Symptoms Of Shedding In Stimmie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhchelly

Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry if this is a silly question. I've searched for an answer on this and haven't found anything concrete.

I am new at snake keeping and have only had my 3 year old stimmie for 2 months.
His last shed was two months ago and he is currently showing strong symptoms of shedding again. Is this normal for an adult stimmie? I thought they shed a lot less often once they mature.

I've noticed the following:
1. He spends a lot of time in his hide now
2. He now moves very slowly
3. His belly has a slight pinkish hue
4. His eye caps were cloudy and now clear but you can clearly see a "crinkle" in one of them

The thing I'm concerned about is that just today I noticed his face looked the SLIGHTEST bit swollen. And the skin around his head is softer and looser. Is this also an indication of shedding?

I'm worried this might be the start of an RI. As I don't monitor the humidity too much in his enclosure - I simply mist every second day or so, and am afraid I may have over done it!

Sorry for the slab of text! I'm trying to learn as much as I can and any input would be much appreciated.

From your description, and without photos, it sounds like he is going to shed. I wouldn't be misting like that, unless he is a problem shedder. A shallow water bowl with a large surface area should both provide enough humidity and room for him to soak for a shed.
The other reason he could be hiding away is the time of year. He is starting to go into brumation.

From your description, and without photos, it sounds like he is going to shed. I wouldn't be misting like that, unless he is a problem shedder. A shallow water bowl with a large surface area should both provide enough humidity and room for him to soak for a shed.
The other reason he could be hiding away is the time of year. He is starting to go into brumation.

I was told by the breeder and reptile vet that I should give a mist every now and then when he goes into shed. He already has a large water dish to soak in if he needs. I think I'll consider setting up a humid hide so that the humidity can be controlled better and the snake can decide where suits him best.

Do you have any thoughts on the swelling though? My main question was if swelling was part of the shedding process.

Is it swelling, or just the old skin puffing out before it comes off? It is hard to give advice just on descriptions.
Is it swelling, or just the old skin puffing out before it comes off? It is hard to give advice just on descriptions.

The photo with him on my arm is now. And the other was when I first got him.

Very minor, but particularly his lower jaw looks "bigger". I don't know if its swelling or loose skin.
Checked his mouth and his trachea is clear and i see no gunk.

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2755.PNG

Your snake looks fine and if it is in the process of shedding it should not be handled and, from what you describe, it appears that this is the case here. If you want to handle it wait until it has completed its shed. Remember snakes tolerate handling and do get accustomed to it but much prefer to be left alone. Like fish they are more an animal to look at and admire rather than a play pet.

There is no need to try and attempt to make one side of the enclosure a humid zone and to tell the truth I really don't know how it would be achieved.

Humidity plays only a small part in the shedding process and despite what your breeder or vet have suggested, if the enclosure is set up correctly and the snake is well hydrated, there should be no need to mist pre shed, on a regular basis or, in fact, at all.

Snakes get the majority of their fluids through food items but it is a good idea to make sure that clean drinking water is available. Some people leave a small drinking bowl in the enclosure all the time and others only make it available once or twice a week. Either way it is always a good idea to maintain a water bowl large enough for the snake to soak in. As well as assisting hydration and maintaining humidity it provides a comfortable refuge and cool environment if or when the enclosure gets uncomfortably hot.

Hope this helps,

George.

Your snake looks fine and if it is in the process of shedding it should not be handled and, from what you describe, it appears that this is the case here. If you want to handle it wait until it has completed its shed. Remember snakes tolerate handling and do get accustomed to it but much prefer to be left alone. Like fish they are more an animal to look at and admire rather than a play pet.

There is no need to try and attempt to make one side of the enclosure a humid zone and to tell the truth I really don't know how it would be achieved.

Humidity plays only a small part in the shedding process and despite what your breeder or vet have suggested, if the enclosure is set up correctly and the snake is well hydrated, there should be no need to mist pre shed, on a regular basis or, in fact, at all.

Snakes get the majority of their fluids through food items but it is a good idea to make sure that clean drinking water is available. Some people leave a small drinking bowl in the enclosure all the time and others only make it available once or twice a week. Either way it is always a good idea to maintain a water bowl large enough for the snake to soak in. As well as assisting hydration and maintaining humidity it provides a comfortable refuge and cool environment if or when the enclosure gets uncomfortably hot.

Hope this helps,

George.

I'm aware he shouldn't be handled while in shed, however, needed to take a photo of his head and couldn't get a clear shot of it while he was in his enclosure. Normally, I leave him alone to do his own thing :)

When I mentioned making a humid zone in the enclosure I meant a hide that contains a bowl of water within it, so that the inside of the hide has a higher humidity than the rest of the enclosure. He would still have his normal water bowl available for him to use.

Thanks for taking a look over the photos. It gives me peace of mind that he looks okay.
I'll keep an eye on his shed and fingers crossed the "swelling" isnt a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back