T.O.D. use

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.K

Reaction score
when using T.O.D. do you leave your reptiles in the enclosure while spraying? I have a bottle here that was given to me but has no instructions. Can someone help me out who has used it before?

Done to Death? I have seen it mentioned in reference to tick and mite removal but where are some directions for use? I can't seen to find any?

I guess this is as good a time as any to say : Use the search function (top of the screen), There are around 35 or so threads on the subject. Search can be a VERY useful function, and is quite often a good place to start before posting a question.

.... not criticising, Mr K! I'm sure there are a lot of comparative newbies who haven't discovered this useful tool! ;-)

Sorry, I'm Just Plain old Lazy tonight. Its the beer!!!! he makes me not want to do anything properly :twisted:

MrK, yes you can leave the reptile in the cage while spraying. But as stated remove the water bowl till the TOD dissappears.

Spray in cage for 2 to 5 seconds depending on the cage size, then quickly shut the door. It should look like a fog in the cage for about 20 minutes. If it doesn't look foggy, spray a little more.

One tip though. Spray at night while the lights are out. Mites are nocturnal and will come out into the open while dark. This way you will get most of them the first spray. Dont forget to respray the cage every week for 3 weeks to get the hatching eggs.

Has anyone heard any "conjecture" about tod and bad hatch or fertility rates? Obviously there would be no proof but any thoughts out there?

Mr K, pm me your email address and I will send you the client handout sheet put out by the Exotic Pets chapter of the AVA. It explains all of the options and the pros and cons.

I had a mite problem on my Velvet Gecko enclosure and read thru the topics in this forum. I followed everything to the letter and now everytime I put Crickets into the enclosure they last about 30 mins and then cark it. The Gecko's do not seem to be effected but as soon as I realised there was a problem I relocated them to there holiday home. :lol:
When spraying I removed everything including all plants and water bowls and cave.
I have one of the new small Exo-Terra enclosures with the foam backing, I did some experimenting with the poor unsuspecting Crickets by placing them in a box with the Peat Moss I use as substrate (all natural) and they were happily jumping around all night. The next night I put the Crickets in the enclosure with only the dirt, they spent the first ten minutes crawling up the back wall (foam) and then fell to the ground and started rolling around.
So due to my experiments I think it would be safe to say that you should not spray the foam area with T.O.D as it soaks it up and will kill your food and make your Gecko's unhappy. :cry:

TOD is designed to have a residual effect so it is expected that all insects may succumb for months afterwards. The risk with any insect eating herp in this enclosure is twofold. TOD is not toxic via skin absorption BUT species that can lick themselves (geckoes, skinks , pygopods etc.) will therefore directly ingest any TOD. in addition, if they feed on an intoxicated insects it may not be a toxic dose to them immediately but it will accumulate after many insects have been eaten. As the TOD wears off in the environment, the insects live longer and we are more likely to consider the cage safe. BASIC RULE OF THUMB = NO TOD FOR SPECIES THAT CAN LICK, NO TOD IN ENCLOSURES WITH INSECTIVORES WITHOUT WASHING ENCLOSURE THOROUGHLY BEFORE RE USE

Geckodan, I beg to differ that it has a residual effect. TOD's buddy in a red can called 'one shot' is specifically designed to have the residual effect.
TOD is designed not to have any residual effect.
will look into it more later, if I am wrong will post a BIG sorry, lol.....

I too was under the impression that TOD was specifically non-residual aswell.

I agree with the criticism, TOD is not supposed to be residual under the normal circumstances BUT it biodegrades at different rates depending on the circumstances. The fact that roaches are still dying suggests that the active ingredient is still present even though the label says it shouldn't be. For this reason it is always reccomended to wash all enclosures with warm soapy water 24 hours after treatment to remove dead mites and their eggs and any residues of insecticide.

I phoned Carrington (makers of TOD) and asked the girl there if she could email the TOD MSDS and she was more than helpful.......but.....as you guessed, I am still waiting.
Until then I guess we will have to wait for the findings.

Ok...sorry it?s taken me a while to get back to everyone about this but wanted to make sure of the facts before replying.

I phoned Callington and spoke to a bloke by the name of Scott Muir; he is employed by Callington as their chief chemist. He explained to me that Top of Descent is NOT residual. It dissipates with air, BUT......remember you need to remove food and water so it isn?t ingested.

Callington is in the process of developing a product for the specific use with reptiles. So....MSDS and can directions will be specified for herp owners.

hope this helps

Remember that the standard testing procedure for how residual a product is is done in a lab. It is not tested on fake foam backgrounds and hollow logs so expect that there will always be a variation from the test ideal when used in the real world for an off label purpose. I will look forward to a registered reptile product on the market but don't hold your breath. These things take a looooong time to get registration approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back