tail docking?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure it is against the law now, same as ear clipping.

In NSW anyway

Donk

i always thought it was illegal, wihtout medical reason.

but seems a lot of roti pups must have tail infections....

from RSPCA

The RSPCA believes that cosmetic tail docking is a painful and totally unnecessary tradition and has long campaigned for ban on this cruel practice. In a landmark decision by Ministers from each State and Territory government, the RSPCA’s call has now been heeded. Tens of thousands of newborn puppies who would have had their tails cut off in the name of this pointless fashion will now be reprieved.

In October 2003 the Primary Industries Ministerial Council agreed to implement a nationally coordinated ban on routine tail docking for non-therapeutic (cosmetic) reasons. In some states and in the ACT the ban is already in force and it came into force nationally on 1 April 2004. After this date dogs’ tails will no longer be docked anywhere in Australia unless there is a medical reason behind the operation. Only a qualified veterinarian will be permitted to carry out the surgery, in accordance with state and territory legislation.

The First Cut

Puppies' tails are docked at around 2-5 days of age using a pair of scissors or a very tight rubber band. In those areas of Australia where the national ban has not yet come into force, tail docking does not have to be carried out by a veterinary surgeon - anyone classed as an 'experienced breeder' can cut off their puppies' tails themselves. No anaesthetic is usually used even though the cut goes through highly sensitive nerves. Many veterinarians oppose the procedure on the grounds that it is 'cruel, painful and unnecessary’.
Tail docking is painful

Advocates of tail docking claim that it does not cause pain or discomfort, as the nervous system of puppies is not fully developed. This is not the case. The basic nervous system of a dog is fully developed at birth and the available evidence indicates that puppies have similar, if not increased, sensitivity to pain as adult dogs. Docking a puppy's tail involves cutting through muscles, tendons, up to seven pairs of highly sensitive nerves and severing bone and cartilage connections. Tail docking is usually carried out without any anaesthesia. Puppies give repeated intense shrieking vocalisations the moment the tail is cut off and during stitching of the wound, indicating that they experience substantial pain. Inflammation and damage to the tissues also cause ongoing pain while the wound heals.
Is it legal?

tail_docking1.jpg
After 1 April 2004 it is no longer legally acceptable in Australia to dock dogs’ or pups’ tails except for medical purposes.

Cosmetic tail docking has also been banned in a number of countries including Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, Finland, Germany and Denmark. Several other European countries including Cyprus, Greece, Luxembourg, Switzerland, and Austria have also ratified a European Convention that prohibits the cosmetic docking of tails. In the United Kingdom tail docking can only be carried out by a registered veterinary surgeon. The practice is opposed by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons which describes it as an 'unacceptable mutilation'.

Pro-docking claims

The few but vocal advocates of tail docking give a range of unconvincing explanations to defend their views. For instance, they say that some heavy coated breeds need to have their tails docked for hygiene reasons (even though many undocked breeds have thick coats and regular care is all that is necessary to maintain good hygiene).

Another 'explanation' is that docking prevents tail damage in hunting dogs. But most docked puppies are kept as family pets and are never used for hunting. And research has shown that docking does not reduce tail injury in the general dog population. Furthermore, many breeds of hunting dogs do not have docked tails, and the length of the tail in docked breeds varies according to the breed standard.

The excuses put forward to support tail docking are plainly unfounded. There is simply no excuse for continuing this painful tradition.

But tail docking continues

Tail docking has continued because, despite the convincing arguments against it, breeders of traditionally docked breeds have kept the tradition going through adherence to the breed 'standards'. Although docking is not a written requirement for any breed in Australia, show judges, breeders, kennel councils and breed organisations continue to perpetuate this painful practice. Breeders and owners who prefer docked dogs need to change their attitude and put the welfare of their dogs before their outdated traditions.

The weight of opposition to tail docking outside this tiny community is now considerable. The Australian Veterinary Association is strongly opposed to tail docking on the grounds that it is an unnecessary surgical procedure and contrary to the welfare of dogs. The National Consultative Committee for Animal Welfare (which advises the federal government on animal welfare issues) is also opposed to tail docking because it serves no practical purpose and may compromise the welfare of animals. The RSPCA has long been opposed to tail docking for the same reasons. The change in national legislation to ban tail docking from 1 April 2004 is a huge step forward for the welfare of our closest companions.

why would someone remove a dogs tail?? the only reason i can think of is for fighting purposes!! dogs were born with tails for a reason!!!

i always thought it was illegal, wihtout medical reason.

but seems a lot of roti pups must have tail infections....

There is a lot of backyard tail docking still going on and since the laws are not generally enforced....there still is tail docking

All the rotties i know that have tails are so much more happy ;)

definatley illigeal to cut anything off in NSW, that's ears tails and cat wiskers (why someone would do that i don't know) the law was passed in 2005 i think because it was deemed of no valid medical value that and some breeders were doing it in their backyard instead of going to the vet

definatley illigeal to cut anything off in NSW, that's ears tails and cat wiskers (why someone would do that i don't know) the law was passed in 2005 i think because it was deemed of no valid medical value that and some breeders were doing it in their backyard instead of going to the vet

april 2004, in all states and territories

i was under the impression that it was illegal in all states except WA.....

ive heard some vets still do it in WA aswell.
If it was that cruel and painful im sure they would ban it for every animal, it's done to sheep, cattle and pigs?
its just like being circumcised, why have'nt they outlawed that?

I have no idea why they dont outlaw circumcision. They get a young baby and a totaly un medically qualified priest to cut part of the kids dick off. Religion makes ppl do crazy things.

ive heard some vets still do it in WA aswell.
If it was that cruel and painful im sure they would ban it for every animal, it's done to sheep, cattle and pigs?
its just like being circumcised, why have'nt they outlawed that?

One a weiner does not have bone in it (at that age anyway ;) )
Two, the tail is connected to the spinal cord!!
three, a tail aids in the balance of dogs, you can see this in our whippet when its running at 60kph

slighly different to a small piece of skin!!!!

I have no idea why they dont outlaw circumcision. They get a young baby and a totaly un medically qualified priest to cut part of the kids dick off. Religion makes ppl do crazy things.

Umm im pretty sure a doctor does it (unless maybe jewish people)

And plus the upside to circumcision, is that girls go crazy over anything thats 10% off :lol:

Donk

donk gets quote of the day for that one!!! Rolling on the floor in hysterics...... love it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back