Talk about Territorial

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

just4fun

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello....I have just joined this group and little did I know that I would posting as soon as this.
Yesterday,we built a large outside pit approx 10 mt away form the house for our juvenile Cunningham skink as he had lost his mate a couple of months back, through the older and larger Cunninghams snapping at its head when they were all in one very large pit. So we built this large comfy pit for him sealing it properly, as we thought .........I was on the computer here in our rumpus room when I thought I saw a mouse......I looked down and here was the juvenile Cunningham at my feet.........he had escaped and came back to where he was housed since he was a baby.........I couldn't believe it.....we have a step and slightly open screen door for him to get this far....... will have to go looking for escapee outlets now.

Cute story J4F. Where are you at. Can we have a piccie of your enclosure? Oh, and BTW. In this joint if you don't post a picture of yoru story then it actually never happened. Not that we don't believe you, we just love pictures!! :) :), and also, when you post a smile after you say something. It means you are being lighthearted. And if you want a glossary of all the terms and abbreviations that we use here then please PM me and I will email it to you.

..... Aaarrrrr but it did happen, truly, and I will go to great measures to get some piccies....now you had better be patient as I am still feeling my way in here...so to paste a piccie may be a bit of a hiccup :p ...how clever do you think granny me is? :wink: ...... still haven't found where he escaped...............the pit is made of corrugated iron and we have sealed all the gaps with bog and plastic cornering......so I am really quizzing.......LOL.... have to wait till builder hubby hits the homefront tonight.
(so how did I go with the smilies.....did I pass)

(so how did I go with the smilies.....did I pass)
Just :lol: maybe a bigger effort next time :wink:
How far does the iron go underground? He may have dug out, or he could have climbed something in the pit and jumped to the edge. also how tall are the edges of the pit?
(oh and welcome to APS :) )
cheers, Jordo

Oh, and i wrote all that presuming the story is true, although I'm begining to doubt it :D

Thanks for your welcome Jordo ....but.....Arrrrrrrrr come on now....you don't believe me ( I think you are putting me through the initiation test :lol: ).....Eh, I am new here, and you don't trust me...poor me :cry: :wink: ...just ask this little tyke who is beside me in a plastic jail box until daddy gets home......his pit is under the back stairs running along the fibro edge of the house...the width of the iron is the depth of the sides.....he hasn't dug... we have his rock palace away from the edge....all I can see is we may need to put more bog in areas where he may have really jammed himself through.... but all is true,( I can't show an icon of me on bended knees, begging) he came back in here, he was in a inside hutch after the initial attack, which now houses the shingles because of the humid weather up here at the moment, so this is where he was spoilt and what he called home, most of his life with us.
Jen

Hay Jen, we really do believe you. But at the moment you are an "egg". As you post more you will end up a wrinkley snake. Somewhere in between, when you say you did something, you need to prove it with pics. I couldn't use a digital; camera before I joined this site.

And yes, all reptiles are escape champions. They should change them from class Reptilia to class Houdinia. But pics will help with your enclosure.

reas where he may have really jammed himself through
cunninghams are experts at that so thats probably what happened.
I guess I'll just have to trust you :lol:

just4fun, i have the outdoor pit and believe me unless you put pavers as the underlying base you will find you lizards always finding someway to dig out. My animals did it once where they dug their way out through any area which i had not paved. The gap would only have been 8 cm at the most but big enough for Land Mullets, Cunninghams, King Skinks and Blueys to do the dash across the yard. The worst part was i was in the shower and heard my mother screaming. I ran out in the towel to start catching lizards when the towel fell off. Horrible site seeing me running naked around my yard trying to catch lizards that give attitude when they get a breath of freedom. Eventually got them all back even though it took a week for one to come out from underneath the house.

Simone.

johnbowemonie said:
I ran out in the towel to start catching lizards when the towel fell off. Horrible site seeing me running naked around my yard trying to catch lizards that give attitude when they get a breath of freedom. Eventually got them all back even though it took a week for one to come out from underneath the house.

Simone.

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All i know was that the strict catholic bloke next door told his two little girls to get inside the house very quick........ Besides i could be arrested for cruelty to animals with that one. My mother found the incident amusing though.

Simone.

johnbowemonie said:
...though it took a week for one to come out from underneath the house.

Simone.

That was the gay one and he is now seriously emotionally scarred... ;)

Pics or it didn't happen
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now come on simone, you know the rules, pics or it didn't happen, we can't let eggs think that mature snakes can get away without adding pics, :lol:
tell you what, just pm them to me and i'll let everybody know that it did happen, :wink: , and i don't mind if you have to recreate the scene, :D

:D :) :lol: :wink: :p :p :D :lol: :wink:

i'll await my pics,

cheers,
steve.............
ps, welcome just4fun, i had a blotched bluey walk across my back yard, he climbed over the tin across the doorway and dug under the door, they will find anyway they can to get out,

Territorial

Ahh Simone, you did let yourself in for the "pics or it didn't happen"!

Welcome Just4Fun, everyone is joshing you, we do love pics though :wink: and everyone has little stories of there own that you can relate to.

Enjoy the site, and the poor little thing wants to be where he understands! :)

Yeah, I've lost heaps of lizards (water dragon, bluetongue, cunningham) but because our yard is full of low shrubs and great hidey spots they always stick around and get found. Well the water dragon actually went next door because they have a dam but i still got her back :D
Simone your lying! :wink:

I had my first childreni get out twice and I found him around my bed both times, I like to think he was coming back to me after his little adventure. :lol:

Matty Snake, I don't want to become a wrinkley snake.....how sad....I would rather be an unfertile egg and explode when the need arises :lol: So much fun that would be!!!!!! BTW.... I am about to send some photos so hang in there until I get educated as to how :eek:
I have had a very hot frustrating bad morning as this little feral squeezed and escaped again through a very tight gap which we had bogged up last night,( we had left it for the 3 hours as specified, then last night it stormed and stuffed it up) knowing it was the only place he could get out as the iron is in the ground a little with fibro sheeting underneath that.... he ( it has to be a he) had climbed up a concrete part of the wall and found this spot of escape and ventured under the concrete around the water outlets....the proof was in his mask of wet whitebog all over his body. I have sat out there for 4 hours and finally caught him( boy! he can move), a few minutes ago...he is now back in jail and will stay there unitl he gets fatter.....maybe I should buy him a mate.....then I will probably have 2 to chase.....might have to bite the bullet and get some snakes. :?
Simone, I can understand you taking off in your coolest attire.....when we were in the bush I did that often is times of distress...but now in suburbia I have to think twice even when I come down to the back yard in my night attire.....shocking eh?
Steve thanks for your welcome, I am about to get some blotched bluetongues from my son, they will go in the pit with my Easterns and should have no problem there, hopefully.

Cheers to all
Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back