Taman Negara, Malaysia. June 2011

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
In June, I spent two weeks at Taman Negara (peninsular Malaysia) before I met the others and headed out to the Maliau Basin in Sabah (Borneo). Taman Negara is a fantastic national park and is one of my favourites with its lowland, dipterocarp rainforest. This was my fifth visit but I still saw several new birds and of course, many new butterflies that I had not previously encountered. Diversity of about everything in the park is high.

I travelled to the national park by bus from Hotel Istana in central KL to Kuala Tembeling Jetty and then by boat to Kuala Tahan. There is a new road to Kuala Tahan but this would not be nearly as interesting as the three hour trip up the river. Here is a map that shows the location of Taman Negara.
Malaysia.jpg

While in transit on the river, I sometimes saw Oriental Pied/Black/Wreathed/Rhinoceros Hornbills, Blue-throated Bee-eaters, Stork-billed Kingfishers, Long-tailed/Pig-tailed Macaques and other animals. Butterfly sightings usually included the large black and yellow birdwings, various crows and occasional groups of puddling swallowtails and pierids. The trip on the river is always productive.

Here are a few shots along the river while in transit to/from the park.
habitat1.jpg

habitat3.jpg

These colourful flowering vines were often seen on the journey.
habitat4.jpg

I always stay in the hostel of the Mutiara Resort. The resort has a range of options for accommodation but I find the hostel to be perfectly adequate since I am usually out on the trails for most of the day. I had the room to myself most of the time. It also was cheap and the price included a tasty buffet breakfast. The resort borders on the national park so I could go for walks anytime that I wanted either during the day or night. Birding and butterfly photography were good right on the grounds of the resort. Here are shots of the chalet type accommodation:
TamanNegaraMutiara-1.jpg

An absolute must-do activity is to take a boat from the headquarters up the Tahan River to Lata Berkoh. I did this twice and the journey was so beautiful. The boat passed beneath giant Neram trees (Dipterocarpus oblongifolius) that overhang the river and form a tunnel in places. On morning trips, I heard the lovely song of White-handed Gibbons. Birds were also good and included nesting Black-and-Red Broadbills, Tickell's Blue Flycatchers, Lesser Fish Eagles, hornbills and many other species.
habitat10.jpg

Lata Berkoh was a good place to search for butterflies. I found several interesting species on the sandbar where the boats stop as well as on rocks above the falls.
habitat13.jpg

habitat12lataberkoh.jpg

The walk to Bukit Indah along the Tembeling River was fairly hard going but it did produce a few interesting butterflies, especially where there were tree falls or disturbed areas.
habitat6.jpg

I had the best success with puddling butterflies at Lubok Simpon (swimming hole), an abandoned Orang Asli settlement and on the rocks below the Kelah Sanctuary (Lubuk Tenor).

Lubok Simpon:
habitatluboksimpon.jpg

habitatluboksimpon2.jpg

Papiliomemnongreatmormon2.jpg

Abandoned Orang Asli settlement along the Tahan River trail. This site was excellent in the mid-afternoon if the sun was out.
habitatorangasli.jpg

Santuari Kelah.
habitat8.jpg

fish7.jpg

graphium9.jpg

... and the Kelah. Kelah is the Malaysian name for cyprinids known elsewhere as Mahseer. These relatives of carp can become huge and are a popular game fish.
fish5kelahmahseer.jpg

Another area that produced a few different species was Bukit Teresik. This hill was only a few kms from the headquarters but it was a steep climb. On prior trips, I could see Gunung Tahan, the highest mountain in peninsular Malaysia, from the summit of Bukit Teresik. This year, there was always too much moisture in the air and I could not see far into the interior of the park.

Scorpions. The black ones were usually sighted on tree trunks after a night rain.
scorpion1.jpg

scorpion2.jpg

With a few exceptions, reptiles were hard to find. I saw Draco a few times when they sailed between trees. Skinks were fairly common on sunny days and a few species of geckos were abundant around the accommodation at night. Snakes, though, were nearly absent. In two weeks of walking by day and night, I only saw two snakes. These included a large, fast species that I think was a Ptyas, possibly P. mucous. The snake was spotted briefly on a trail near a creek but it raced out of site in an instant. The second snake was a small Dendralaphis that also disappeared from view before I could take a snap. Others reported a gorgeous Blue Malayan Coral Snake (Maticora bivirgata) near Kumbang Hide and a Krait along the trail back to the headquarters.

Spotted House Gecko (Gekko monarchus): one of the common geckos in the resort.
gecko1.jpg

Many-lined Sun Skink (Mabuya multifasciata): the most frequently seen species of skink along the trails.
skink1.jpg

skink2.jpg

Rough-scaled Skink (Mabuya rugifera): only seen a couple of times
skink3.jpg

Clouded Monitor (Varanus bengalensis) were a common sight.
Monitor1.jpg

monitor3.jpg

monitor2.jpg

id?
frog1.jpg

Bearded Pig
BeardedPig1.jpg

Long-tailed Macaque: enjoyed eating the fruiting figs along with flocks of various bulbuls, pigeons, barbets and others.
monkey1.jpg

Monkey2.jpg

Malay Tapir: These two were let out on the resort grounds at times by the parks office. They were both tame and they enjoyed the plants of the gardens.
tapir2.jpg

tapir1.jpg

I saw Sambar Deer, one of the Mouse Deer and this Muntjac while I walked the trails. The Muntjac was at a salt lick below Tabing Hide.
muntjac1.jpg

Squirrels of several species were abundant.
Prevost's Squirrel
PrevostsSquirrel.jpg

PIERIDAE
Orange Albatross (Appias nero): common, especially near the Kelah Sanctuary.
Appiasnero1OrangeAlbatross.jpg

Orange Albatross and Common Albatross (Appias paulina)
Appiasnero1andAppiaspaulina.jpg

Common Albatross (Appias paulina): the most common albatross of Taman Negara.
Appiaspaulina1.jpg

Appias cardena: Only seen once at the Kelah Sanctuary.
Appiascardena.jpg

Striped Albatross (Appias libythea): A few of these were seen on the grounds of the Mutiara Resort.

... male
Appiaslibythea2StripedAlbatross.jpg

... female
Appiaslibythea3StripedAlbatross.jpg

Lemon Emigrant (Catopsilia pomona): common puddler.
CatopsiliapomonaLemonEmigrant.jpg

Orange Emigrant (Catopsilia scylla): common puddler.
CatopsiliascyllaOrangeEmigrant1.jpg

Saletara liberia: I saw small numbers of these at the Kelah Sanctuary.
Saletaraliberiadistanti1.jpg

Forest White (Phrissura aegis): Most of my sightings were along the trail to Bukit Indah.
Phrissuraaegis1cynis.jpg

Tree Yellow (Ganda caharina): I only saw a few of these near Lata Berkoh.
Gandacaharinatreeyellow1.jpg

Eurema andersonii
Euremaandersonii1.jpg

Eurema andersonii and E. similatrix
Euremaandersoniiandsimilatrix1.jpg

Euremaandersoniiandsimilatrix2.jpg

NYMPHALIDAE

Charaxinae
Charaxes distanti: This species is rare so I was lucky to encounter it. There are not many field photos of it.
Charaxesdistanti1.jpg

The dark streak on the lower wing in the above shot must have been due to a flying bee. Here is a less side-on shot with a better view of the lower wing.
Charaxesdistanti2.jpg

This Tawny Rajah (Charaxes bernardus) was heavily worn. The orange in the background was the C. distanti.
worntawnyradjah1.jpg

Common Nawab (Polyura athamas). I only saw this one at Lubok Simpon
PolyuraathamasCommonNawab.jpg

I'm currently on my phone, but when I saw that you'd started a thread David, I didn't care how long it'd take to load.
Stunning pics as usual and sure there will be a lot of jealousy about.
I was interested in seeing a lot of simularities in these animals to some amazon species. Even the skink is the same genus.
Thanks for sharing - hoping there is another thread to follow.

JD

STUNNING pics as usual mate !
love them!

im confident the 2nd scorp is liocheles nigripes, not to good with my exotics though!

This was a good show, any chance you got photos of other invertebrates, Dermaptera? The butterflies were amazing. Good job.

Glen

Thanks very much. I am glad that the photos are enjoyed.

JD,
There are numerous examples of convergence in the Asian and Neotropical rainforests. When it comes to birds, the babblers are so much like the antbirds. Many of them look so similar even though they are not closely related.

Thanks, richoman, for the scorpion identification.

Glen,
No earwig shots from Taman Negara but I have some from the Maliau Basin in Sabah. I will start that post once I am finished with the Taman Negara photos.

Heliconiinae
I found this pair of Malay Lacewings (Cethosia hypsea) one afternoon along the Tahan River. I saw the species often but they usually never stopped where I could take their photos. This mating pair landed about 3 m up in a ginger thicket.
Lacewing2.jpg

Lacewing1.jpg

Cruisers (Vindula dejone) were a common puddling species.
VinduladejoneCruiser.jpg

Rustic (Cupha erymanthis).
CuphaerymanthisRustic1.jpg

Royal Assyrians (Terinos terpander) were the most numerous at the Bukit Teresik lookouts.
Terinosterpanderroyalassyrian3a.jpg

TerinosterpanderRoyalAssyrian1.jpg

Limenitidinae
Lance Sergeant (Athyma pravara)
Athymapravara1.jpg

Neptis duryodana
sailor.jpg

Neptis miah. I saw this nicely marked butterfly on a single occasion at the first lookout of Bukit Teresik.
Neptismiah.jpg

Neptismiah2.jpg

Common Lascar (Pantoporia hordonia):
PantoporiahordoniaCommonLascar1.jpg

PantoporiahordoniaCommonLascar2.jpg

Commander (Moduza procris)
ModuzaprocrisCommander1.jpg

Nymphalinae
Peacock Pansy (Junonia almana): I only saw a few of these and all were in the gardens of the resort.
JunoniaalmanaPeacockPansy1.jpg

Asian Leaf Butterfly (Kallima limborgii): This amazing butterfly was in the forest near Lubok Simpon.
KallimalimborgiiAsianLeaf1.jpg

Morphinae: These are the Asian counterparts to the Owls of the neotropics.
Tufted Jungleking (Thauria aliris): seen occasionally. They seemed to be the most common early in the morning along the trail up Bukit Teresik.
ThauriaalirisTuftedJungleking2.jpg

ThauriaalirisTuftedJungleking1.jpg

female Dark Blue Jungle Glory (Thaumantis klugius)
Thaumantisspmaybeklugius.jpg

male Dark Blue Jungle Glory (Thaumantis klugius)
Thaumantissp.jpg

female Saturn (Zeuxidia amethystus): Was attracted to the lights of the men's washroom at the hostel. These have lovely patches of blue on the upper wings.
ZeuxidiaspSaturn.jpg

Amathusia schoenbergi: This is a record shot of one that flushed and then perched a couple of meters up in a tree. It was in rainforest on the upper slope of Bukit Teresik. This species is rarely sighted so I was lucky to find one.
AmathusiaspPalmKing1.jpg

Common Faun
CommonFaun1.jpg

Danainae

Blue Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis vulgaris)
Ideopsisvulgaris1.jpg

Dwarf Crow (Euploea tulliolus): I saw a few of these near the lookouts of Bukit Teresik.
Euploeatulliolus1.jpg

Magpie Crow (Euploea radamanthus): a common species along the Tahan River and in the campground of the resort.
Euploearadamanthusmagpiecrow1.jpg

Satyrinae
Melanitis phedima: Two seen beneath a fruiting fig tree on the grounds of the Mutiara Resort.
Melanitisphedima1.jpg

Mycalesis maianeas: This nice bush brown was only seen a few times along the Tahan River.
Mycalesismaianeas2.jpg

Mycalesis patiana
Mycalesispatiana2.jpg

Purple Bush Brown (Mycalesis orseis)
MycalesisorseisPurpleBushBrown1.jpg

Mycalesis intermedia
Mycalesis4.jpg

Common Three-Ring (Ypthima pandocus)
YpthimapandocusCommonThree-Ring1.jpg

Common Four-Ring (Ypthima huebneri)
Ypthimahuebneri2CommonFour-Ring2.jpg

YpthimahuebneriCommonFour-Ring1.jpg

Common Five-Ring (Ypthima horsefieldi)
YpthimabaldusCommonFive-Ring2.jpg

Malayan Six-Ring (Ypthima fasciata) since the ocelli are arranged in a fairly straight line.
Ypthimapandocus.jpg

Ypthimapandocus2.jpg

Xanthotaenia busiris:
Xanthotaeniabusiris1.jpg

Common Palmfly (I]Elymnias hypermnestra[/I])
Elymniashypermnestraagina1.jpg

PAPILIONIDAE

Common Bluebottle (Graphium sarpedon): By far, the most common Graphium. I rarely saw them with open wings like this.
GraphiumsarpedonCommonBluebottle3.jpg

GraphiumsarpedonCommonBluebottle1.jpg

Blue Jay (Graphium evamon):
GraphiumevamonBlueJay2.jpg

Graphium eurypylus
Graphiumeurypylus1.jpg

Tailed Jay (Graphium agamemnon)
GraphiumagamemnonTailedJay2.jpg

Spotted Jay (Graphium arycles): I only saw these once at the Kelah Sanctuary.
Graphiumarycles1.jpg

Five-bar Swallowtail (Pathysa antiphates): This one was practically standing on its head while puddling.
PathysaantiphatesFivebarSwallowtail2.jpg

Great Mormon (Papilio memnon)
Papiliomemnongreatmormon1.jpg

Common Mormon (Papilio polytes)
PapiliopolytesCommonMormon.jpg

LYCAENIDAE

Common Pierrot (Castalius rosimon): fairly common.
CastaliusrosimonCommonPierrot2.jpg

CastaliusrosimonCommonPierrot4.jpg

Straight Pierrot (Caleta roxus): fairly common.
Caletaroxusstraightpierrot1.jpg

Blue Pierrot (Discolampa ethion): Only seen once near the abandoned Orang Asli settlement.
DiscolampaethionBluePierrot1.jpg

Long-banded Silverline (Spindasis lohita): I found a colony of these at a lantana thicket on the grounds of the resort.
SpindasislohitaLongBandedSilverline1.jpg

Fluffy Tit (Zeltusa masa): only seen a few times.
ZeltusamasaFluffyTit1.jpg

This was my first Scarce Silverstreak (Irata rochana). I found it early one morning on the grass lawn of the resort. Even though the temp was 28C, it seemed to be "too cold" to fly. I used a twig to move it to a shrub and it then warmed itself for awhile before flying away.
IraotarochanaScarceSilverstreak1a.jpg

IraotarochanaScarceSilverstreak2.jpg

Arhopola sp.
Arhopalasp2.jpg

Common Tit (Hypolycaena erylus): mostly seen near the abandoned Orang Asli settlement.
Hypolycaenaeryluscommontit1.jpg

Hypolycaenaeryluscommontit2.jpg

Una usta: Only found this species once at Lata Berkoh.
Unausta1.jpg

Tongei potanni: I saw one or two of these at both lookouts of Bukit Teresik.
Tongeipotanni1.jpg

Common Imperial (Cheritra freja): near the Orang Asli settlement.
CheritrafrejaCommonImperial1.jpg

CheritrafrejaCommonImperial3.jpg

Cycad Blue (Chilades pandava): common in disturbed areas near Mutiara Resort.
Chiladespandava3.jpg

Chiladespandava4.jpg

Prosotas dubosa:
blue15a.jpg

Petrelaea dana.
Prosotassp.jpg

Prosotas nora.
Prosotassp1.jpg

Ciliate Blue (Anthene emolus)
Antheneemolus1.jpg

Hedge Blue (Acytolepis puspa)
AcytolepispuspaHedgeBlue1.jpg

Surendra florimel
Surendraflorimel.jpg

Common Posy (Drupadia ravindra):
Drupadiaravindra1.jpg

Drupadiaravindra2.jpg

HERPERIIDAE

Common Snow Flat (Tagiades japetus): Strange, but I only saw these two on the same afternoon and never again.
Tagiadesjapetus1.jpg

Tagiadesjapetus2.jpg

Tagiades ultra
Tagiadescohaerens1.jpg

Darpa pteria: This flat was seen a couple of times at the first lookout of Bukit Teresik.
Darpapteria1.jpg

Pithauria marsena
skiper3.jpg

This was a large, red flat that I flushed along the Jenet Muda Trail while descending from the Bukit Teresik lookouts. It looked much like a Bronzed Flat here in Australia. Fulvous Dawnfly (Capila phanaeus)
Capilaphanaeus1.jpg

Common Wight (Iton semamora)
Itonsemamora1.jpg

Tree Flitter (Hyarotis adrastus)
Hyarotisadrastus1.jpg

Hyarotisadrastus2.jpg

Yellow Banded Awl (Hasora schoenherr): This lovely skipper was photographed along the Bukit Teresik trail one morning. It returned to the same spot over and over and pressed its abdomen against the bark of the tree.
HasoraschoenherrYellowBandedAwl.jpg

These were really strange, tiny moths that lived on rocks at Lubok Simpon. Their hind wings appeared to be ornamental and not functional for flight. They could hover and I initially thought that they were some sort of bee. Any ideas?
moth3a.jpg

moth3.jpg

Koruthaialos rubercula
Koruthaialosrubercula2.jpg

Koruthaialosrubercula1.jpg

Here are two species of colourful day-flying moths. These would also puddle at Lubok Simpon but usually they only did this early in the morning.
moth2a.jpg

moth2.jpg

I found this nice moth while I was on a night walk.
moth1.jpg

Here are a few miscellaneous shots.

I think that the following were the most abundant animals in the forests after a rain. They were everywhere. These leeches seemed to like to dine socially. Clusters of them all seemed to be interested in crowding around a bite.
leeches2.jpg

The combined anticoagulants resulted in quite a mess. My socks were usually dripping with blood at the end of the day. At least the bites do not itch like Aussie leeches.
leeches1.jpg

I picked up small ticks a few times. This one, however, was enormus. I am glad that I was not bitten by it!
tick1.jpg

Last edited:
Another great thread Moloch! Excellent photography too.

The Mabuyas have been moved to another genus Eutropis which occurs in southeast Asia. The genus Mabuya is confined to South America now, with the African ones being placed in another genus Euprepus (i think thats how its spelt) or something similar.
More amazing butterfly photos as well, those tiny moths from Lubok Simpson are really bizarre.

Thanks for the information, Elapo. I will need to copy this into the little guide book that I use.

Regards,
David

Nice work, your photography keeps getting better and better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back