Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter is the perfect time to get him used to you. I used to take mine out of the tank in the morning and take her back to bed with me and put her on my chest under the blanket with her head sticking out. She loved this so assosiated me with feeling warm and fuzzy :D. Sorry if someone already said something along these lines.

I have a 8 month Eastern Water Dragon, Its really annoying because evertime i try to feed him or open the cage to do anything , he wil just run up to me and start biting my hands! wish i knew a way to fix this
Feed him more lol.

I used to take mine out of the tank in the morning and take her back to bed with me and put her on my chest under the blanket with her head sticking out.

haha, i did that fr a while too,..till the morning i didnt feel the dreaded tail lift in time,....lol,...

lucky it only went all over me not my bed,..!! :)

yes lollypop mine is a combo heat & UVa/UVB it;s been great!
I did have add another fitting for a low watt night time bulb, I have finally got the perfect balance with my temps it was harder being a small enclosure so it would heat up very quickly

my bro just got 2 little beardies today. they seem to handle fine and when you get them out, the either sit on your hand and look around, or will run up your arm. they are also very spastic in the enclosure and chase crickets from one side of the cage to the other, and jump off rocks ect..

yes lollypop mine is a combo heat & UVa/UVB it;s been great!
I did have add another fitting for a low watt night time bulb, I have finally got the perfect balance with my temps it was harder being a small enclosure so it would heat up very quickly

I would think about adding another UV light in there, I have the same heater as you a Reptile One UV + Heater but my lil gal was not getting enough UV. Just a heads up for the future :)

just an update! He took food directly from my hand for the first time today, I only had to have my hand out for a few minutes so it was great, finally making some progress, but I wont push my luck and try to pick him up today =o)

congrats nicky. You are getting there! Fatso loves eating from my hands......sometimes a bit too much. He loves his grated vegies and the last time I put some on my fingers....Fatso was not only biting but chewing my fingers OUCH! I spoon feed the vegies now but still like to give him mealies and crix by hand. I have had Fatso since late Feb and he doesn't like being held still.
Last measure svl 12cm. ( does that help.lol)
I can sit him on my shoulder for a few mins while watching telly, and then he gets this burst of energy and I'm chasing the poor guy around the house.
He likes me when I get him out of his bath and he goes straight to the top of my head and stays there.lol I think he is trying to dry off buy getting as close to the bathroom light and heater as possible. :)
I'm trying to make a leash for him atm to walk safely around the house and outside.

Will he grow out of scurrying away when he is older? I would like to have one of those calm snuggly lizards I keep hearing about

Patience my friends... haha, I had the most agressive little dragon. You couldn't even go near the enclosure, opening the sliding door would result in full bites. Now he's a great little guy to cuddle, never give up!

Just take it easy, keep sessions very short and treats on hand (canned crickets or apple workd great), whenever mine would display I'd pop a bit of food carefully onto his tongue and he'd gobble it up and settle right down, it surprises them... they seem to associate your hand with food and within weeks mine ceased it.

A while after lights out at night (or when they'er just nodding off) I wrapped mine in a tea-towel and placed him on my chest as I used the laptop/watched TV, they're cool at this time and will fall asleep right there for you.

Best of luck, patience, and never give up!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back