tank size for water dragon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theduclos

Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m new to these forums. Joined up to ask this question.

I’m building a tank for a reptile. The first is a test tank. Measuring 900 long X 450 wide (I have the glass already). The second is a 1200 X 750. My question is would the first tank be too small for a Gippsland water dragon. My plan all along has been to build the smaller one for 1 or 2 baby beardies then when they grow move them into the larger one. But after a trip to the local reptile store I fell in love with the Gippsland water dragon. Would it be ok to start off in a smaller tank then go to a larger one? Or just stick with the beardie plan. Also can anybody give me an idea about the size the water dragons grow to in captivity. I have read they can get up to a metre long. Is that in the wild or in captivity?

Thanks for the help

i had a male eastern that reached 1.2meters within 3 years... and im under the imression this is not exraordinary either. i had an avery and a tank for winter, now i just use the tank as i only have one youngster (between hatchy and juvy) and he/she is in an 8ft X 2ft X 2ft, i feel that this is JUST enough, based not only on size of the animal, but more so on their needs to move around quickly, and the length of the tail restricing turning around comfortably in anything less than 2 foot wide! i would probebly stick to beardies, as i said its not always just the size of the animal, but also its nature, and water dragons need to move! concider a water monitor or beardies, if you go with the beardies be sure to have sand and plenty of heat, and no open spaced water (shallow bowl only). let me know if i can help you any further.

thanks for the help mate. ive done a bit of research in tanks, the building materials are easy to get (i work at bunnings) so i get as much building advice as i want to ask. and ive done my electrical preapp and working with an electrician so the wiring up of a tank is not going to be a problem. deep down i knew the water dragon wasnt a true option and ill stick with the beardies. just 1 small question, if i start with a baby beardie, at what age do you think i should step up to the larger tank?

thanks again for the help.

it all depends on feeding man, some beardies grow fast other slow?!?! when they a bit under a handful change em up i guess?!?1 beardies arent overly active so your two tanks seem fine. also man, why make two? just make the bigger one, and start em off in it!

got the timber glass and doors for the small one already. was quoted glass 1200X700 sheet at 90 dollars at a few different places. dont wanna spend that if it is not going to work out. all i need to get for the smaller one is the melamine base and thermostat/lights. (which can be gutted out of the small one when they move into the larger one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back