tarantulas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
patting spiders?

I have a bird eating spiderling. Now i just want to put my two words in well sort of speaking anyways, ive had her for about 6 months now, when i first got her she was about 1.5cm big and I got told to put on some cotton gloves and put your hand flat in the tank and push her bum to make her go onto your hand, so i did this and she sat on my hand for about 3 seconds then decided to make a running dash up my arm under my shirt and sit on my belt, BUT after about 3 months of handling her for about 10minutes everyday she started to get used to coming out and just sitting either in my hand or on my shoulder, when she started running up my arm i would pat my arm just above where she was and she would stop straight away.
And now she is about 7cm and when i get her out she will just sit on my shoulder, and when i lay down to chill out and watch a movie or something she will walk off my shoulder and sit in the pocket of my jacket.
when she was a little itty bitty thing she did try to bite all the time, but if you get a spiderling and start teaching it with cotton gloves i found that they are very very intelligent and will eventually get used to being handled. But only time will tell when she is full sized if she will stay that calm.

So the moral to my story is, everything is possible, just keep at it and you will find out for yourself weather the spider that you bought will get used to being handled or is it more of a spectacter sport.

Hold on hold on the Stents is an ozzy T???

Crappers , where can we get some?

The Stents were discovered by Brendan Stent somewhere near Townsville (obviously exact location is not public knowledge). He is the only licenced T catcher in the area as far as I am aware. He has Stents Birdeaters available (at least according to his website) from small slings up to >100mm. I'm pretty sure only the adults are WC. He's big into captive breeding to take the pressure off the native population.

I don't know if its ok to advertise on this thread so PM me and I can give you details.

Sphagnum moss?

Available in all nurseries and your local Bunnings. I use it for my T's and a 50/50 mix with large grain riversand as a potting mix for my venus fly traps - seems to be working ok for both.

Last edited:
Sorry haha I didn't mean it as a question, I was just hazarding a guess as to what it was. I use red desert sand. Seems to look good and works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back