tarantulas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my spider setups involve a can and a half of raid, and a boot gaffer taped to a broom stick so i don;t have to be in the same room

my spider setups involve a can and a half of raid, and a boot gaffer taped to a broom stick so i don;t have to be in the same room

D00d… That’s a bit rough, yeah? I just hope my poor little spiders didn’t hear (OK then… Read) what you just said :cry:

do u have pics of your spider set ups

I surely do my friend. I’ll actually go and take a few right now.

Last edited:
Adult Enclosure

BigT1.jpg

OK this is where my #1 fav girl lives (she gets her own special enclosure because she’s so special). This enclosure is 60cm x 30cm x 30cm and is a lot bigger than what is needed for even the biggest adult female Tarantula. Forget all the cage decorations also (just for show as in for my benefit). Like I said she got special treatment as she was my first T and she’s a bit of a looker ;)

BigT2.jpg

My other adults are housed in normal clear click-clacks (Big-W style) smaller than this (30cm x 40cm x 20cm) and no cage decorations other then a rock or two, a few bits of bark, some sphagnum moss and they basically have one hide (large white plastic plumbing tube) and one water bowl (which are the plastic lids of large Aus Post Tubes – the large, shallow red lids if you get me).

BigT3.jpg

I use a mix of 50% Peat Moss (not the blocks, just the stuff in the bags) and 50% vermiculite for substrate. As you can see right now the substrate looks pretty dry but that’s because I don’t really like to spray down the enclosure too much during winter (gets too cold obviously). During summer though I don’t over-do-it with the spray bottle either, just enough so that it’s not 100% bone dry.

BigT4.jpg

As you can see though, in the middle of the pic, she obviously doesn’t mind if I don’t spray the enclosure down too much during winter as she has dug herself in for the winter.

BigT5.jpg

You can see that all the cage decorations were money well spent. I must admit though she used to really dig (no pun intended) the Exo-Terra hide here, and actually webbed up the whole thing and had a tunnel going out the back where she could escape if she wanted. Other than that though, Tarantulas don’t seem to care too much for lavish furnishings.

Spiderling Enclosure

SmallT1.jpg

A little book case or something similar is perfect for keeping your small sling containers in. Not only does something like this save space, but they seem to prefer less light and more warmth during winter (just like how a lot of breeders use “racks” ). I actually keep all my spiders in the same room as I keep my python hatchies in also. I like to think of it as “the python nursery” and that way the slings and adult T’s don’t get too cold (I don’t use any specific heating for my T’s) as I use a heater to avoid the room getting too cold for my hatchies during winter. During summer it’s not too bad although I swap the heater for a small air-conditioner (the ones you fill with water) just to keep things sensible temperature wise if and when it does get a little hot.

SmallT2.jpg

Don’t pay too much attention to the spider’s names. They’re all named after Cannibal Corpse songs which are a lot easier to come up with and remember (for me anyway). As you can see I use a small stocking-sock to cover the lid. This doesn’t affect ventilation at all but it does prevent escapees. I wrap it around the lid twice to make sure. If you’re a guy though, you might get a few odd looks when you’re looking for these in the lady’s section when you’re out shopping (just try and keep a straight face, get what you want as quick as you can, get to the register fast and get outta there as quickly as you possibly can so as not to cause a “scene”) :oops:

SmallT3.jpg

Much the same setup as the adults, just to a smaller scale obviously. With the slings I use a small Gatorade lid or anything similar with a few rocks in it to avoid crickets from drowning, a small deli cup for a hide and a bit of sphagnum moss (slings REALLY like to get amongst it and build their own hides).

SmallT4.jpg

As you can see in the top right hand corner, this little guy (or girl as it may turn out) has decided if he wants something done properly, he’ll do it himself. One interesting thing you’ll note if and when you start getting into Tarantulas is the very obvious differences in behaviour between species. Given the very same enclosure and setups, some species want to web-up as much of the enclosure as they can, some seem to think a deli cup is as good as it gets and basically do as little as possible, and some seem to want to dig very meticulous tunnels straight away. Like I said, this seems to be species specific behaviour as two or more slings of the same species seem to undertake mirrored behaviours.

It’s also amazing how Tarantulas seem to adapt to life in the cage much the same way as they do in the wild. For example I have a particular species of Tarantula found in Townsville. The breeder of this species told me that all the spiders he’s encountered in the wild don’t seem too interested in tunnelling and prefer to just build a webbed-tunnel on the side of whatever they can find (for example he’s found a lot who web-up the sides of scrap metal, rubbish dumped on the side of the highway and anything else found in this particular locality). All the Tarantulas of this species I have (4 in total – 2 slings and 2 adults) do exactly this in their enclosures. They just don’t seem interested in tunnels at all (which is very strange for a Tarantula given enough soil to make a tunnel in). I suppose I could go on for hours about this kind of stuff… But I’ve typed way to much as it is…

nice little setup you got, you got a list of species you keep? i think i have 11 all up, i have kept funnelwebs before but probably not again, you never see them and if you do its normally only their front legs protruding out of the burrow entrance

we get bird eaters at work i know one guy who handles his, but he also breeds and milks red backs and has been bitten by one of everything. the veanom itself isn't highly dangerous unless you have allergic reaction. during breeding season they're really argressive so i would try it, but maybe during the cooler months, but they do stress really easy. my main worry it the way they bite, they have quite big fangs and literally spring load they're bite, they rear up on their back set of legs and ram into their target so you'll get the whole one inch of fang in you, ouch! belives me it hurts!!!

aussie t's dont get 1 inch fangs, i think Theraphosa blondi is the only one with fangs that big, aussie t's get fangs to about 1.5cm i'm pretty sure, never heard of a fatality from them but have heard they are very painfull. I havent noticed a change in behaviour at different times of years, the only time i have seen a real change in behaviour is when introudicing the boy into the girls tank

lol, i was just being dramatic, i've been biten and i'm still here so not fatal on itself, but i swore a lot when it happened loudly and at length

lol, my mate got about 8 bites into him arm within about 10 secs, lucky they were dry bites. I have never had any that would run at ya but they would rear up if you got to close

lol, this one was an escaped one at work and none of the other girls were game enough to go looking, the bugger snuck up on me and got me in the soft back of my upper arm scared the **** out me and there wasn't anything dry about it, but caught it the end so it was worth it

Last edited:
are they look nice
have u got any 4ft set ups with lots of differnt spiders in there that be coool
like lots of red baks mixed in with wolf spiders all in the one enclosuer

that wouldnt be very cool, spiders like eating eachother

Hi,
An image or two, Selenotypus plumipes:

DSCF0962_sm.jpg

And a stunning, large Nth Qld coastal species, STENT'S BIRDSPIDER:

DSCF0815_sm.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

steve, when you gonna have the plumipes available? you still owe me a few:p

can you also get me pics of how you keep your tiny slings? whats better, sphagnum moss or peat moss?

im a self confesd arachnifobe (how ever spelled)
but i must admite they are nice
weres these pics of the deadly ones lol
cmon funnel webs were are they

was camping at myall lakes in nsw
and a huge funnel web female i think was caught
but it was the size of a taranchler obvious not sydney funnel web like we get at newcastle

are they still deadly when the females get big, i have heard that thay are close to harmless???

funnelwebs dont get to the size of tarantulas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back