Tech Question regarding pulse proportional thermostats and globes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusy

Reaction score
Why is it that pulse proportional thermostats can't be used on globes? I would assume that they are simply pulse width modulated which runs at a certain frequency, maybe 50-100hz and in each cycle of that frequency, it turns on for one part and turns off for another, say 60% on 40% off for example and varies that on/off ratio to maintain the desired temp. So the the globe is turned on and off 50-100 times per second, being on for 60% of each one of those 50-100 times.
Is this not similar to simple AC current? AC current runs at 50hz and that voltage runs up to 240V and back to 0V and then runs current in the opposite direction to 240V (actually I think it's somewhat higher than 240V as the 240V is the mean average or something like that) than back to 0V so essentially it is still turning on and off 50 times a second.

I guess we are amplifying and amplified current in a way and if the pulse proportional thermostat is turning on when the supplied current from the wall is peaking, then we would spike the filament in the globe and blow it?

Sorry, I guess I'm trying to understand it all a bit more as I'm an auto electrician so I don't work with AC as much but I like to learn as much as I can and am fascinated by electricity and electronic components and how they work. Also, I am not saying it should work, I understand it has been tried before and failed but I'm trying to understand why.

It's because the frequency they pulse at isn't 50-100Hz. It's actually closer to 1-5Hz. Plug one into a light globe for a few seconds and you will see. The light blinks continuously. You'd kill a regular globe in under a day if you used one. Your assumption of them working on a PWM concept is correct though

It's because the frequency they pulse at isn't 50-100Hz. It's actually closer to 1-5Hz. Plug one into a light globe for a few seconds and you will see. The light blinks continuously. You'd kill a regular globe in under a day if you used one. Your assumption of them working on a PWM concept is correct though

Oh wow, only 1-5hz, that makes sense then. Why wouldn't they use a higher frequency? But yeah, at 1-hz i can completely understand why the globe would blow (open circuit) in that situation.

Thanks for the Her Shop link too mad_at_arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back