Telstra users

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, new user here, and I have not been able to access this site for over a week now! (It's been driving me crazy!!!) I am with Telstra Broadband.

The who with the what now?
Been no probelms here 'cept the recent crash.

Still having dramas at my end lutzy. Although from work (where i am now) im not having any dramas at all.

I did send you an email also. Just wondering if there is something i should tell my ISP so they can rectify the problem.

It has been so quiet without your 7.24 posts per day of informative reptile discussion alan. :roll:

Hi guys.

Well, I too have now fallen prey to the dreaded connection problem! I'm with Bigpond too (cable) and have started having the same problems as you guys. "Aha", I hear you say! "How can you be typing this then, eh smartie?".

Simple, I'm using my partner's IPRIMUS ADSL account. Therefore, I have to say, the problem is NOT with the site! If it was, I couldn't connect at all, could I?? :) I'm also using my computer connected to my work server and can also connect through either of my work connections - Optus ADSL and TPG ADSL.

I spent a lengthy period of time with a few different so-called support people on the Bigpuddle helpdesk. They were about as useful as a hole in the head! Therefore I have summarised the problems we are ALL experiencing and sent it off to the Contact Us link on the Bigpond web site. Might I suggest you all do the same to your respective ISP's? The more people that complain, the more likely it is that they will do something about it. I've included the data I sent them below.

Also, you could try using the "tracert" command. If you go to a command/MSDOS prompt, and then type tracert www.aussiepythons.com it should show you the path followed from your computer to the APS server. If it stops somewhere along the way, then that is probably the location of the problem. It would be helpful if you could post the results here. Unfortunately, I also seem to have a modem problem, as I can't trace past my modem! :-(

bigpond_problems.jpg

I would be really interested in hearing how you go.

Problem report details:

1. I am an administrator of a website, www.aussiepythons.com, based in the USA. For several weeks a lot of our users have complained that they cannot connect - they get an error page with a DNS error. I haven't had any problems myself until recently. Now, I can't connect either, from my Bigpond account. However I CAN connect from my work connection (TPG ADSL and OPTUS ADSL) and I can also connect from my second home connection, IPRIMUS ADSL. In fact, I'm connected to our work server via Citrix at the moment as well as via my home IPRIMUS ADSL connection and both are working fine.

2. Tracert connections to ANYWHERE do not go anywhere! The only address returned is (as I've just figured out) is the modem IP address (10.140.192.1). everything past that address times out.

3. The so-called helpline is particularly unhelpful and the people staffing it are seem to be particularly lacking in support expertise. Particularly Mike King, who told me to go to tracert.com and try it from there! That achieves NOTHING, unless the DNS issue is in the path between the source IP address (in the USA) and the destination address (in the USA)! His answer to my problem was to contact you via this page. I have tried several times to get a sensible answer out of those people, and at one stage one of them even convinced me that my router was at fault, so I bought a new one! Stupid me! What I should have done (and subsequently did) was to take the firewall/router out of the equation and have since exposed my computer to the outside world by connecting directly to the Bigpond-supplied modem and using your software. The problem still exists.

I have had the so-called support staff check all of my settings and they are correct (as they have been for several years).

I suspect two issues :

1. The tracert problem points at the modem being the problem.

2. The fact that many people are all experiencing the same problem as I have described above, especially the fact that they can connect to www.aussiepythons.com from work but not from their home Bigpond connection, points to a DNS issue with Bigpond or somewhere else in the chain. As I can't tracert, I can't get an idea of where the problem lies.

I have attached a screendump of a couple of tracert attempts.

PLEASE contact me by phone (number removed!) if you need further information, as I don't want to waste time emailing back and forwards on this issue.

Thank you
David Lutz

From the great help of MIANOS, i am on the site at home once again. He suggested i go through a proxy farm which i am doing now, and it seems to work fine.

I think i'll just stay with the setting that i have now as it seems to work fine for everything else too.

The proxy farm im using is sydney.cache.telstra.net and the port is 3128 for any sydney users that can read this. And this is changed by going to your tools/internet options/connections/lan settings/proxy server.

Cheers, Alan.

Drats! You got my hopes up for a while there, Sherm! :-( It must be for ADSL users only or something, as when I tried it I got :

"FORBIDDEN
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list."

Any suggestions? And who is this MIANOS of which you speaK?

P.S. Just found an interesting link relating to the tracert problem I reported above! It may help others, so I thought I'd post the link here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=180256

Yeah, im on run of the mill adsl mate.

Ahhhh, Mianos is my geek wonder mate!!!

Yeah help would be appreciated. I pnly had my first problem the other night (and I am not including the night the server was down). I use Optusnet Cable and have no problems with any other site, Afro uses the same as me and has also had problems. Strange :)

Not sure about users other than Bigpond, but I tried changing my primary DNS server to 61.9.192.14 - this seemed to work for me.

If that doesn't do it for you, try clicking the whirlpool thread link (above) and try that solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back