The beginning of the end for the Mary River-Pls read

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expansa1

Reaction score
Dear All,

Just a quick note to inform you of this proposed travesty for the Mary River, Queensland. The proposition of the state government is to construct a 660,000 megalitre dam approximately 12kms south of Gympie (in the mid-catchment area of the Mary River). This 7,600 hectare catchment area will require the resumption of prime agricultural land (responsible for producing 7% of Queenslands Dairy supply)not to mention the displacement of almost 900 families! It may eventually lead to the extinctions of the Mary River turtle Elusor macrurus and the Mary River Cod Maccullochella peelii mariensis as it will have severe detrimental impacts on up to 80% of their known habitat/distribution. Other threatened or vulnerable species that will be affected will include the Queensland Lungfish Neoceratodus forsteri, the Mary River Snapping turtle Elseya albagula?and some endangered regional ecosystems of riparian flora. It has also been suggested that due to unsuitable 'environmental flow' downstream, there will also be severe environmental impacts on marine ecosystems and estuarine breeding grounds of many marine and freshwater species.

Craig and I have been lobbying very hard to try to prevent this 'billion dollar blunder' by attending various rallies and meetings. Not only will this destroy the local environment, we may lose up to 30% of our own property as well! The only legislation that may stop this proposal is the federal "Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 - EPBC Act" but the Federal Government has little interest in this issue as our Premier has not made his formal announcement regarding the preliminary findings from feasibility studies etc. If we wait for this announcement, it may be too late!!!

We have forwarded this e-petition, open to Queensland residents/citizens only, as the only way this dam proposal will be stopped is if the voices of the people are heard. Our state Premier, Peter Beattie, was quoted on Tuesday as saying "This dam will go ahead and nothing can stop it!"

Please take the time to complete the e-petition and/or forward it on to any Queensland residents you know who may be interested in helping to protect this unique South East Queensland region. It is possible that Premier Beattie may make his formal announcement next time State Parliament meets, on 10 June '06, so please try to find time ASAP.
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNum=664
If you would like any additional information, please go to www.savethemaryriver.com or alternatively contact me on this email address.

Your sincerely,

Gabrielle Latta
The Secretary - AFTCRA Inc.

Link to AFTCRA Inc. (Australian Freshwater Turtle Conservation & Research Association) information:
www.aftcra.org.au

Yeah thats the ****test dam... I know of at least 3 familys who have been in the area for MANY YEARS that have been forced to packup and move off the only thing they thought the government couldnt controll their houses... SOME ****ING GOVERNMENT, This mayor of brisbane is a total tool and should be replaced with someone who isnt going to WASTE our rates on **** like a undercity tunnel, and building an uneccesary dam where its not welcome... couldnt they just channel the water into the already built dams?? what about lake cotharibah thats where noosa gets its water from, why do we need another dam in the same vacinity?? **** THE GOVERNEMT

yeah i saw that on the news last night... mums and my first thought was for the turtles (i'd been talking about them the week before) is there anything non QLDrs can do? its so wrong that they can do this with such short notice!!! what can we do?
Megz

Who could I call to abuse about this?? I love a good abusive fone call (have done it many times to telstra and the bank)

we cant do anything PEOPLE like beatie and mayor of brisbane (dont care about his name) have already "gone" ahead and done it... My friends mum got an eviction notice and an offer that is much less than the houses value BUT she has no choice... if she stands up and fights she could lose everything but then if she shuts up she loses her house she has been in for +10 years... its not fair

thats the one thing that get me though... governemnts power to ruin peoples lives... If i got the eviction notice i wouldnt move, they have to come in and get me from off my rocking chair after they pry the smoking shotgun from my hands, so much for HELPING people what about the people they just ruined ( oh no thats ok MY people of brisbane now have a water supply for YEARS down the track )

Hi,

If non-Queenslanders could forward the below letter to anyone they know in Qld that would be helpful!

Regards,

Craig

Dear All,

Just a quick note to inform you of this proposed travesty for the Mary River, Queensland. The proposition of the state government is to construct a 660,000 megalitre dam approximately 12kms south of Gympie (in the mid-catchment area of the Mary River). This 7,600 hectare catchment area will require the resumption of prime agricultural land (responsible for producing 7% of Queenslands Dairy supply)not to mention the displacement of almost 900 families! It may eventually lead to the extinctions of the Mary River turtle Elusor macrurus and the Mary River Cod Maccullochella peelii mariensis as it will have severe detrimental impacts on up to 80% of their known habitat/distribution. Other threatened or vulnerable species that will be affected will include the Queensland Lungfish Neoceratodus forsteri, Southern Queensland Snapping Turtle Elseya albagula and some endangered regional ecosystems of riparian flora. It has also been suggested that due to unsuitable 'environmental flow' downstream, there will also be severe environmental impacts on marine ecosystems and estuarine breeding grounds of many marine and freshwater species.

Craig and I have been lobbying very hard to try to prevent this 'billion dollar blunder' by attending various rallies and meetings. Not only will this destroy the local environment, we may lose up to 30% of our own property as well! The only legislation that may stop this proposal is the federal "Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 - EPBC Act" but the Federal Government has little interest in this issue as our Premier has not made his formal announcement regarding the preliminary findings from feasibility studies etc. If we wait for this announcement, it may be too late!!!

We have forwarded this e-petition, open to Queensland residents/citizens only, as the only way this dam proposal will be stopped is if the voices of the people are heard. Our state Premier, Peter Beattie, was quoted on Tuesday as saying "This dam will go ahead and nothing can stop it!"

Please take the time to complete the e-petition and/or forward it on to any Queensland residents you know who may be interested in helping to protect this unique South East Queensland region. It is possible that Premier Beattie may make his formal announcement next time State Parliament meets, on 10 June '06, so please try to find time ASAP.
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNum=664
If you would like any additional information, please go to www.savethemaryriver.com or alternatively contact me on this email address.

Your sincerely,

Gabrielle Latta
The Secretary - AFTCRA Inc.

Link to AFTCRA Inc. (Australian Freshwater Turtle Conservation & Research Association) information:

Below is a letter we had published in a local magazine.

The Traveston Dam - common sense must prevail!

The idea of a Mega dam on the Mary River at Traveston crossing, aptly labelled the ‘Travesty Dam’ by locals, is a farcical notion that has obviously not had much thought or common sense applied to it. Why on earth are they trying to go ahead with a project of this magnitude when a feasibility study, completed in 1994, rejected the site and deemed it unsuitable? Some of the reasons for the rejection were the displacement of too many landholders, the inundation of prime agricultural land and the overall environmental impact to the river ecosystems and riparian zones. For a “smart state’ this is a very dumb idea! The budget projections for the project have been grossly underestimated if we are to be reasonably compensated for our properties and losses.

Today, there are many more landholders that will be affected and if anything, the endangered species that are endemic to the Mary River, including the Mary River Turtle, Mary River Cod and Lungfish are fewer in numbers than in 1994. In fact, the proposed structure will detrimentally effect up to 90% of the Mary River turtle’s known distribution!-(Information supplied by Australian Freshwater Turtle Conservation and Research Association). Maybe the Premier wants the Mary river turtle to be recognised as Australia’s most critically endangered turtle rather than Australia’s second most endangered turtle. This dam will also involve the destruction of large areas that in 2001 were recognised as dominant and sub-dominant ‘remnant endangered’ regional ecosystems.

Inappropriately, Premier Beattie flew over the region, made his announcement then conveniently took off overseas and avoided the public outcry. What a cowardly act! Why weren’t local politicians, councils and landholders consulted or even notified before he made this public announcement? This is another one of his typical knee-jerk reactions to a crisis! And all this without sparing a thought for all the lives that will be destroyed and the blood, sweat and tears that have been shed by many generations of landholders for us to be where we are today! As far as we’re concerned, Premier Beattie has just proven himself to be a heartless and un-Australian coward. What would his reaction be if he was told he was going to lose his home, his livelihood and his parent’s gravesites for “the greater good”? No amount of compensation can bring back the toil and heritage that will be forcefully stolen from us! People’s dreams and aspirations have already been replaced by anxiety and confusion because of his lack of tact and compassion!

Why do situations have to be in crisis before he acts, just look at the health system, electricity supply and now this water crisis? What Queensland really needs is a pro-active Premier that has the insight to plan ahead! Slurp away Brisbane, wash your precious cars and hose your driveways because Premier Beattie believes he has all the answers for your unsustainable water usage!

If he wants to leave his final legacy here, then he’s barking up the wrong tree. It certainly won’t have any positive outcomes. He will have blood on his hands. He will be responsible for ruining the lives of many hard working Australians and the extinction of the Mary river and hundreds of species of flora and fauna that depend on her for their survival. It will be known to us locals as “Beattie’s Travesty dam” or “Lake Extinction” with its mudflats and mosquitoes as far as the eye can see!

Craig and Gabrielle Latta
Affected residents

isnt there a law or something that says they cant do anything to land/river/area that has endangered species on it?? this is ridiculous!!!! i dont know many people in QLD but i'll send them all an email..
Megz

Yep.. being so close to the area (<30kms) that little snippet really said something to me... hey if there are any other rallies give me a heads up ill gladly be there ... and i dont see why they cant extend borumba dam or even create a factory that turns sea water into drinkable water, that way there is already a structure that can deal with problems like this further in the future without having to clear out another 500 people

hey megz... it shouldnt matter if you know anyone in QLD sign it yourself... send it to our southern counterparts... every signature is gold

kwaka, the first thing the petition says is you have to be a queenslander to sign ,any thing else we can do to help craig?
sent the petition and m/r website to the queenslanders i know,
for what its worth,,
baz

If you dont live in Qld you could just grab any Qld phone book it has all the required details :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back