The Birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kak1

Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife laughs at my various interest including carnivorous plants but she does love the birds. Lately I've been messing about with the camera and just thought i'd post up a few pics of some of our birds. These are birds that we bred this year or adult birds. It's always exciting to see them grow. My apologies for the poor quality. I hope you all enjoy. What birds is everyone else keeping?

Green-cheeked Conures in their weaning cage
green-cheeks.jpg

Young Amazon Parrots
amazons.jpg

Mature Black-headed Caique (pronounced CAKE (in OZ) or KYEEK (US))
caiquechilli.jpg

Young Black-headed Caique doing excercise
caique excersising.jpg

African Grey's Hatching
grey hatch 2.jpg
grey hatch.jpg

Young Blue & Gold Macaw
blueandgold.jpg

Last edited:
No-two I took the grey photos a few months back but had them on the camera so thought i'd share. Thanks for the offer but the birds are now living it up in their new homes.

No-two I took the grey photos a few months back but had them on the camera so thought i'd share. The greys are now living it up in their new homes.

Naww :( Shame. They're the only bird I would keep now. I used to have a heap years ago, some idiot sold me a young bird with beak and feather I got out of them after that, I would keep a grey though.

Looks like you had an ok season Jade :D

I've still only got the one, my YNA boy.

Stevo that Yellow-naped you got is a stunner mate. Got any recent pics?

Eckies are certainly wonderful birds and something to be proud of :) as no doubt you are. When I first started eckies were the prized bird of many collections. It is little wonder why when you look at them isn't it.

yeah ekkies are grate!
mine are the PNG type, but id love to get my hands on some of the other sub species.

The problem we have with eckies in Australia is that many of the sub-species have been crossed with each other and are no longer pure. Despite this there are still some pure birds in a small number of collections. We no longer keep eckies but when we did we only kept the red-sided polychloros sub species. A few friends keep the aussie sub-species macgillivary which is large and stunning as well as quite rare.

Thanks for your kind words about Danny. :D Here are a few pics of the lad that I havent posted here before.

Really enjoyed seeing your collection, and methods, during Parrots2010

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 316.jpg
    316.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 327.jpg
    327.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 90
  • 307.jpg
    307.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 314.jpg
    314.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 72
  • 319.jpg
    319.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 321.jpg
    321.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
He's a stunner, Stevo.
Love the fifth pic!

Stevo you should have introduced yourself mate. I'm pretty sure you were on the pleco forums as well weren't you? There were so many people on the tour I forgot names and sadly faces which meant people keep calling and I can't remember them unfortunately. I'm glad you liked the set up. Let us know when you are up so you can pop out again. Where are you living now?

Danny is looking awesome. He is a nice sized bird and in great feather. You've put in a lot of work and it seems to be paying off. Not too many people can get an amazon on its back with out sedating it. It's a credit to yourself and Danny mate.

You have gorgeous birds! I love the black headed caiques but macaws are my absolute favourite, the B&G is a stunner! All very healthy and alert looking babies.

I have a pair of maroon bellied conures and a pair of mutation green cheeks in the aviary and as pets a rainbow lorikeet, 50 yo galah, pearly conure and a cockatiel.

Wish I could have gone to Parrots 2010!

Thanks Melusina for the compliments. It is always good to get positive feedback. I'll hopefully post up some more photos soon when time permits. Parrots 2010 saw us meet many brilliant people and as always learn a lot more about various species. Hopefully you can make it to the next one which I believe is in 2012. If you do please feel free to say g'day.

What do hatcho blue and gold mackaws go for these days Id love to get one and hand raise it?

Scorps I couldn't answer that question sorry as we don't sell birds till they're fully weaned. You'd have to phone around to find a price.

I'll be looking out for more photos then :D I'll be posting pics of my flock when I get home. I certainly plan to go to the next 'Parrots!' Only problem with 2010 is that I'd already bought tickets to America (I'm there at the moment). Likely see you there next time though!

Scorps, I wouldn't recommend hand raising unless you have a lot of experience. I'd personally question the integrity and practices of any breeder that sells you an unweaned bird. (Sorry for being nosy/ opinionated/ presumptuous, just looking out for your and the future bird's interests).

Stevo you should have introduced yourself mate. I'm pretty sure you were on the pleco forums as well weren't you? There were so many people on the tour I forgot names and sadly faces which meant people keep calling and I can't remember them unfortunately. I'm glad you liked the set up. Let us know when you are up so you can pop out again. Where are you living now?

Danny is looking awesome. He is a nice sized bird and in great feather. You've put in a lot of work and it seems to be paying off. Not too many people can get an amazon on its back with out sedating it. It's a credit to yourself and Danny mate.

Haha! Yep, was also on the pleco forums! small world. :) I dont blame you for not remembering everyone from the conference, everybody was pretty busy with the aviary visit too. Me; I was busy chatting up my current girlfriend!! :shock: We'll definately drop you a line whenever we're around your way. I'm in Townsville, previously Darwin, and Belinda is in Canberra.

Danny is good most of the time.... He's been having a bit of trouble dealing with other people around me late last year, and we've been putting in a lot of work to try and get him to accept Bel.. That's the 'problem' with him coming of age...lol. He's still good with my Mum (as you can see in the earlier photo) down in Melbourne though, which is handy seeing as that's where he is for the next 9months!! He does love to play on his back...

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 50
  • flatout.jpg
    flatout.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back