The Bockadam

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with this species? If so can you enlighten me on what they are like to keep please? Things like feeding, temperament and keeping conditions would be a help.

This is what ive found out africa

Good size tank with good log that reaches above the water line (they anchor for resting at the surface to breath and for feeding.
tight fitting lid but a gap between it and the surface.
around 29-30c i beleive, can be made brackish by adding some aquarium salt (for conditiong the water not artificial sea salt for marine)
slow matures, about 10 yrs to maturity, 3-4 ft i think as adults.
Helpless out of the drink but can survive a few days (better to make sure they dont!)
feed on goldfish of appropriate size mostly live, but can be occasionally persuaded to take dead fish.
They manage to slough underwater...Fantastic! provide roughish drift wood maybe. no idea about plants yay or nay.
Thats about all I know, im planning away (unbeknownst to the wife) to aquire one myself. Biding my time right now since im picking up a pair of ceaulea on sunday! :D

Oh yes, I beleive all their waste is liquid so i imagine really good filteration and water changes would be involved!

instar said:
no idea about plants yay or nay.

I was thinking about Bockadams too but decided against it for a couple of reasons - one being the fact that at present, you can't keep them in NSW (not on any license). As for plants, I remember reading that they like to hide amongst water vegetation to ambush prey. Anchored by the tail, as you said, to either plants or a log.

:)
Hix

"aka Apu "Ohh silly me, I am confusing my bockadams with my poppadoms , oh' the craziness!" :lol: Actually i think i was confusing them with fileys, :oops: sorry lol

If you cn acquire Cerberus sp. from a legitimate source then you vcan apply to have them listed by "The Department Formerly Known As NPWS" Is that right Jeff?

These guy's as all colubrids seem to be attracting more and more ppl.
I have been chasing some aswell and would also appreciate some experienced advice from ppl in the know.
I have a couple of tanks i wish to fill with mangrove snakes and other semi aquatic colubrids.

Anyone know of any breeders that have alot of the colubrids?

i wasn't going to say anything.......but
thats the snake i want!!!!!!!!!
so don't want it to get popular.........between now and when i get my class 2 ;)

Peter wrote:
[/quote]If you cn acquire Cerberus sp. from a legitimate source then you vcan apply to have them listed by "The Department Formerly Known As NPWS" Is that right Jeff?
The Bockadam is a deliberate omission from NSW reptile keeper licensing system species lists. When the NSW species lists were originally drafted by herpetologists in 1996, it included all reptile species that were known to be held in private hands anywhere in Australia plus all species known to occur naturally in NSW.

If Cerberus rhynchops is now available to private keepers, a case for listing in NSW should be sent to me for referral to the Native Animal Keepers Consultative Committee to review. It will make a recommendation for classification to the Director-General of the Department of Environment and Conservation before any approval could be granted to import this species into a private collection in NSW.

Cheers,

Jeff

i wasn't going to say anything.......but
thats the snake i want!!!!!!!!!
so don't want it to get popular.........between now and when i get my class 2

Not on NSW licences yet bry, are you thinking of fileys?

nah by the time i get my class 2 they will be on the NSW licence............
well thats the plan anyway ;)
its probley just a dream, just like my iguana :(

I have kept them, see my info in a previous thread.

Also, trying to make the salt water, is a waste of time. They do well in Fresh Water.

Brodie

hehehehe

im so glad i dont live in vic, i have heard you cant keep asmany as we can. i was told no womas, file snakes, salties, macleays water snakes, spotted tree monitors, yellow spotted monitors and perenties :twisted:

That's not entirely true tommo, we can have womas and salties. And unlike you we've been happily keeping all the elapids for many years now :) (Go have a look at my gallery for pics of my adders :) :) )
How many people would keep a perentie if given the chance anyway??
But yes, there are several species we can't keep and others can. There's currently talk of more being added to our list, let's hope something comes of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back