The great APS rat swap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
won't want anything stuffing that up.. Like myco, biting, mites, lice etc.
I think trades wouldn't be definite, and if you sense the rat sneezing, itching, coughing etc you wouldn't trade it, thats why I think it could work when all of us wanna trade so we can choose.

What relevence does colour have for a feeder animal??? Or am i missing something
You are missing something.. when your breeding by the 100's and some fancy kind pop up *patches or barecap/underbelly*.. rat people pay up to 60 bucs for a rat with patches, its profitable food.

Sometimes is best to inbreed to eradicate all health probs.
How do you know you have problem free lines with out inbreeding to see the probs ?
Check the fur for no orange marking, ear's, behaviour with rat tilting head/ear infection, look at feed/tail, hand over ear near its mouth to hear breathing, if it isnt heavy, or doesnt sneeze or cough, its healthy. Also size lol

ok well the only way it will work is to swap with folks close to you.
Can we have it somewhere between sydney and canberra? lol or the macauther show?? :-o

hairless rats Am I right?
Yep their harder to keep and they look dirty, you never wanna hold em or cuddle em :-( lol

What relevence does colour have for a feeder animal??? Or am i missing something

When you spend more time looking after your rodents you may aswell have a bit of fun with them too. Keeping rats can be fun, its always a bit exciting seeing a massivley pregnant mum and the day after seeing a big litter of cute little rats.

It is also missing my line of pale headed rats. They have an almost white skull cap which varies in intensity with age. The snakes reckon they all taste the same though!

They are called mink. All mink-based rats have that pattern, it's most obvious at about six to eight weeks and eventually disappears. Mink is on the site, but they don't talk about the 'moult cap'. Sometimes the moult patterns can be pretty cool, with stripes along the body. Mink hets have the moult cap too, but only weakly. If yours have caps which are almost white they are probably rr or pp.

I don't think we have any 'true hairless' rats in Australia, but double rex rats can be hairless for a while during the juvenile moulting stage.

We have all combinations of mink, ruby-eyed and pink-eyed dilutions in black (aa) and agouti (A*). We also have black-eyed whites (including head-spotted and blazed hets, and some nn patch rats/mm BEWs), albinoes and nn pp C* pink-eyed whites. Mostly hoodeds but lots of Berkshires and selfs too. We have a small number of rexes but deliberately avoid making double rexes. The only colour we don't have is blue, and there are at least two pattern types we don't have (downunder and variegated).

Patch rat
Patchybig.jpg

Black-eared black-eyed white
Black-earedWhite.jpg

"Mink cap"
happymask.jpg

A moult cap with a funky triangle on the back
Minkmoltback.jpg

Head spot/patch
Blotchy.jpg

Blaze
Blazedbaby.jpg

the main thing i noticed about the photos is that sdaji is a hairy man

is it wrong that even tho i loves the ratties i still have no problem killing them and feeding em to my snakes.

no its not wrong i love mine but their offspring are snake food simple.
but why shouldnt i have some fun with them while im at it?
Tox we arent coming to mcauthar i dont htink.
when is it?
Happy to pay if no one is interested in swaps.
I understand that some would be hesitant to bring in animals.

I think i'll have to post some pics of my rats.
Forgive my ignorance as I only breed for food, but have almost "outbred" the whites in the colony over the years...personal preference, I dont like the look of them, like white cars...lol, so feed them off first.
I have some really funky patterned and coloured ones, but didn't think anything of them really. I have one little cutie that has a mask like zoro and a "mink cap" from Sdaji's description. I hope he's still there, I may have fed him already :shock:, but do like to keep the cool ones to breed. depends on the size of them and if I need that size to feed.

I do love my rats though and have some breeders that I would never feed to a snake, they are pets of sorts I guess.. Gramps is the last "white" and one of the founders of this colony. He's big, placid as and a real "stud" dragging some tackle I have never seen on other males :shock: :lol:, although at over 3 years old is getting on and likes to sleep a lot... he still services 3 x females in his own enclosure with no probs at all. He's a great old guy! :)

So our snakes and lizards have been dining on Mink!

(Yes that is exactly what they look like.)

They are called mink. All mink-based rats have that pattern, it's most obvious at about six to eight weeks and eventually disappears. Mink is on the site, but they don't talk about the 'moult cap'. Sometimes the moult patterns can be pretty cool, with stripes along the body. Mink hets have the moult cap too, but only weakly. If yours have caps which are almost white they are probably rr or pp.

I don't think we have any 'true hairless' rats in Australia, but double rex rats can be hairless for a while during the juvenile moulting stage.

We have all combinations of mink, ruby-eyed and pink-eyed dilutions in black (aa) and agouti (A*). We also have black-eyed whites (including head-spotted and blazed hets, and some nn patch rats/mm BEWs), albinoes and nn pp C* pink-eyed whites. Mostly hoodeds but lots of Berkshires and selfs too. We have a small number of rexes but deliberately avoid making double rexes. The only colour we don't have is blue, and there are at least two pattern types we don't have (downunder and variegated).

Patch rat
Patchybig.jpg

Black-eared black-eyed white
Black-earedWhite.jpg

"Mink cap"
happymask.jpg

A moult cap with a funky triangle on the back
Minkmoltback.jpg

Head spot/patch
Blotchy.jpg

Blaze
Blazedbaby.jpg

Hi all,
I just came across this thread just now, I'd be keen to do some swaps;)
Location; Toowoomba near Brisbane
Colours; i'll go back and look at some links for names, but theres mink capped hoodeds, PEW, BEW maybe silver or dove, self in a couple of colours.
Swap; i'd like some long coat and rex plus head spots and patches.
Any body into mice aswell? I just picked up yesterday a trio of hairless, some dove tans, agouti/champange, chinchilla, siamese manx and a couple of supers. i also breed some nice jersy marked and extra long coat( this lines alittle obese so they get big and don't live more than 18mths, snakes love them but, in small doses:lol:). I've seen hairless rats bred from a blue line with the hemorage gene. I have not seen or heard of either in a few years. I think its fun to enjoy breeding food and just hoping that something nice or different is born:).

the main thing i noticed about the photos is that sdaji is a hairy man

is it wrong that even tho i loves the ratties i still have no problem killing them and feeding em to my snakes.

I don't think it's a problem that you're able to understand that snakes need to eat, and thus be able to feed animals you like to them.

I think your main problem is that you pay too much attention to hairy men! :shock:

;) :lol:

bump, i bet theres more people out there with rats and mice, that enjoy breeding different varieties. Just to clear up my hairless mice aren't for food just to breed for fun. Is there anybody in brisbane area that breeds rex rats that would swap or sell me some new blood.

Oops haha forgot about the moult caps!

I'm also after capped rats in any colour but black as well. Or barebacks.

Does anyone breed 'jumbo' rats? I saw some once and ever since then i've been after them but can't find anyone that sells live..

I should probably organise rat racks first lol

I have 2 rex females left - they are sickly little things that get myco easily. When Ziggy had babies last time they had problems with their eyes - 1 of them I thought had no eyes but he opened them just before weaning and they were very small. Her litter also had a few end up with that head tilt thing that makes them run in circles after a few days.
Because their dad was normal and they are mated with a normal male, the girls babies don't turn out as rex, some just have longer fur.
fluffieherper: I got my original rex off someone named Odessa stud (something like that) on this site.

Oops haha forgot about the moult caps!

I'm also after capped rats in any colour but black as well. Or barebacks.

Does anyone breed 'jumbo' rats? I saw some once and ever since then i've been after them but can't find anyone that sells live..

I should probably organise rat racks first lol

The 'jumbos' you're talking about are probably Wistars. They're very large, but very fatty and not good for snake food. I've seen them well over 1kg.

Yeah, i don't have anything that would eat them anyway. I'd just like to have a big squishy pet one. My old rat used to chase our cat lol was really funny. He wasn't jumbo, but he was huge!

I'm also willing to pay top dollar for a mink capped, bareback, blazed or headspotted.

I'm also willing to pay top dollar for a mink capped, bareback, blazed or headspotted.

What's top dollar? I'm sure you'll find one. Lots of people make head-spotted minks, we've produced blazed and barebacked ones, and probably capped (I don't pay much attention to cappeds). You would probably pick one up locally for about $20-$30 if you asked around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back