The In's and Out's of Keeping Sugar Gliders.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gliders rock!

Rocket, sorry it took me so long to reply, I only just found this thread. I wouldn't say i'm an experienced sugar glider owner, but I did have a breeding pair (Tips and Pips) for just over 2 years, they finally had some babies, 2 males (TJ and Sherbet), which I was able to handle from a young age and tame. I then regretfully sold the parents and now have the 2 baby boys, they are now almost 6 months old. I'll try post some pics of them and the dad. I would agree with Marz though, keeping one alone is not a great idea, although they may be ok, most will be lonely and the longer they are alone the more likely they will lose their glider social skills, and if you try and introduce another glider down the track it may be a nightmare. Also I would suggest only getting another female unless you intend to become a breeder. Now for the pics! They are the cutest and most adorable little pets.

Attachments

• little tacker.JPG
    little tacker.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 39
  • My baby boys.JPG
    My baby boys.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 43
  • TJ posing.JPG
    TJ posing.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Glider daddy 2.jpg
    Glider daddy 2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Glider daddy.JPG
    Glider daddy.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 35
Rocket, sorry it took me so long to reply, I only just found this thread. I wouldn't say i'm an experienced sugar glider owner, but I did have a breeding pair (Tips and Pips) for just over 2 years, they finally had some babies, 2 males (TJ and Sherbet), which I was able to handle from a young age and tame. I then regretfully sold the parents and now have the 2 baby boys, they are now almost 6 months old. I'll try post some pics of them and the dad. I would agree with Marz though, keeping one alone is not a great idea, although they may be ok, most will be lonely and the longer they are alone the more likely they will lose their glider social skills, and if you try and introduce another glider down the track it may be a nightmare. Also I would suggest only getting another female unless you intend to become a breeder. Now for the pics! They are the cutest and most adorable little pets.

Thanks so much for replying Greg.
By any chance are you in SA?

I agree that she does need a partner (male and female) and am currently on the lookout for one. Breeding them would be nice but isn't an absolute necessity. I am not keeping them just to breed them and try and get rich off selling babies (as some people have stated). So far my female seems to be doing very well and is slowly (ver slowly) getting more used to me being around.

Are you wanting to pair your boys off with females?

Regards

Thanks so much for replying Greg.
By any chance are you in SA?

I agree that she does need a partner (male and female) and am currently on the lookout for one. Breeding them would be nice but isn't an absolute necessity. I am not keeping them just to breed them and try and get rich off selling babies (as some people have stated). So far my female seems to be doing very well and is slowly (ver slowly) getting more used to me being around.

Are you wanting to pair your boys off with females?

Regards

No I'm located in VIC actually, in Melbourne. I am looking to pair my boys with females, but I intend to keep all of them, and have 2 breeding pairs or a colony.
You dont even have to get a male, if you don't intend to breed, then best try get another female. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

Greg.

Cheers for that. As a matter of fact, I will be picking my new male up tomorrow morning so she won't be lonely after all :) For only $75, you can't go wrong!

Will get photos when hes settled in.

we have a pair at work. They are kept in an aviary type enclosure that is about 3x1.5x2m (LxWxH) and temporarily have a bush stone curlew sharing the enclosure. Fresh gum cuttings are put in and they spend their days in a parrot breeding box.
We feed them in the afternoons a wide variety of chopped fruits and small amount of veg, kangaroo meat mix, rehydrated dog food, a few mixed bird seeds, insectivore mix, wombaroo protein supplement and the occasional mealworm, fig, flower and honey.
And yes they are gorgeous little animals and quite friendly to handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back