The In's and Out's of Keeping Sugar Gliders.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sure jessb but how are you going to do this if you live in a high rise in middle of the city?

sure jessb but how are you going to do this if you live in a high rise in middle of the city?

I agree with Jessb.If you keep a native animal you should feed them as close to their natural diet as possible. Surely if you live in a highrise you could still go and get fresh browse and flowers a few times a week. If you cant then get a cat.IMO

Thanks Marz for the link to the Healseville sanctuary regime for feeding their animals..
Great advice to.
The diet according to the good people at Healseville.
NATURAL DIET: Insects, pollen, nectar, sap, lerps.(sorry, all out of lerps)
AD LIB: Water.
DAILY DIET (per animal): 1 Dog chow/Advance.
6g Fruit, chopped (1tbspoon).
3 ml Nectar mix.*
1g Fly pupae (¼ tea spoon).
5g Corn (¼ thin slice).
2g Sprouted seed.*
2 Mealworms.
SUPPLEMENT: 5 Pollen grains – once per week.
3 Sultanas – 3-4 times per week.
2 Sunflower seeds – once per week.
1g Pet Health Food (small cube) – once per week.
1 Almonds - once per week.
Insects – 3-4 times per week (eg. moths).
Acacia, eucalypts, other blossoms as available.

Thanks everyone.

Marz: I have spoken to the person I am getting her from and he currently keeps her alone and said she's doing quite well. Although, a mate will be a necessity in the near future before the onset of the cold nights in Winter. Currently, in SA we are doing fairly well with the weather and the person is looking into a mate for my female, locally. Thanks for the link, very helpful indeed!

Well its been a week since I got her and she seems to have settled down well and feeds every night. Heres some quick shots of her.

Last edited:
So that box you have her in is a hide box with a slide off front?

What is your enclosure set up like?

She's living in an aviary. Will post pics tonight for you herptrader.

She has several boxes she can sleep in both on the gorund and high up.

Nobody else has any pics they'd like to share of their gliders? Would also like to see Squirrel Gliders..

Looks good. Got any aviary pics?

Here's some aviary pics. Looks quite alot different as I have put a few more nesting boxes in and alot more logs etc in there for climbing.

Last edited:
my brother keeps 2 female sugar gliders in his bedroom he lives in a 3 story apartment and his bedroom has a second story loft with a mesanine floor he has put up a big rope net hung from all four corners from the roof and there is railings ect in one spot they have worked out how to do an 4m glide from two spots and are very energetic .
at their bed time they both make their own way and retire to an old hessian back pack hanging from a post on his 4 poster bed.
From what i have seen sugar gliders are an amazing animal they can differentiate between people they are highly intelligent i belive slightly smater than an average domestic cat.
They receive a variety of fresh fruit and some vegetables every night and i dont think they are very difficult to look after.
I think they are a very rewarding pet and a great alternative to introduced species.
I dont think a massive cage is required for these animals but it would be ashame to keep gliders that cant glide so a 3m long 2.7 high and a 2m wide cage would be my minimum for a cage but that is a personal opinion only.

hi rocket,i have a book on sugar gliders,its excellent,covers husbandry and breeding ect,its from barrons,but it is a great book,i highly recomend it,any ways i got it through robinsons,a local abc centre plus book shop,most book shops should be able to order u a copy
the book is called SUGAR GLIDERS a complete pet owners manual and is written by caroline macpherson
it costs 16.95
hope that helps
i still havnt kept sugar gliders,but do intend to,need to finish off the herp shed first,lol,but will probably get gliders well before that,pm me if u need any futher details

Here's a pic of my sugar gliders which l purchased from Krusty (thanx Krusty)
they are doing really well:) l just love them!!
When it comes to feeding they have a variety of fresh food every night being either
grapes, watermelon, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries(which they just love)
apple,orange once a week or so...diced carrot, mushrooms, sweet potato, peas...corn.
l get a heinz brand baby food which is pumpkin and sweetcorn or chicken and sweetcorn
which they love too!!
Occasionally l give them hard boiled egg or poached chicken breast which is good for protein.
A little lite, low fat ham is ok ocassionally too....My partner says they eat better than him;)
supposedly which l have not tried as yet but they will devour day old chicks another
good protein source.
Once or twice a week they get their much loved treat of half a glaced cherry as you will see in the
pic!!
Anyhow l'm sure you will get much pleasure from keeping these cute little individuals!!
And l always lightly coat their insects with calcium powder:)
Enjoy!!

Attachments

• Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 58
Oh and their favourite sleeping place from a few choices is their cat hammock which they just sink into!!

What gorgeous little critters. I have been talking to a friend of a friend who has sugar gliders. She mentioned a couple of things which haven't come up so I thought I'd share. Gliders need company BUT they are territorial so keep them in pairs unless you have a large aviary. I asked her about aviary size as after looking at your pics I am now thinking about getting some. She suggested that the 7ft X 7ft aviary I have would be ideal for 1 pair, poss 2.[ I will probably use the 8ft X8ft for 2 pair.] Also if you do overcrowd them they will chew each others tails off! :shock: Feeding is mainly fruit and veg with supplementary vitamins. Also she feeds some meat like dog food occasionally. They sleep in a big hollow log but she has had some success with PVC pipe!

Thanks all for your kind comments and suggestions, very much appreciated!

Thanks for that list jan, a few things I didn't realise they'd like. So far I've been giving her Rockmelon, Apples, Banana, Tomato, Corn (her favourite), Peas, Cherries, Grapes, Watermelon, Nectarines and Peaches. I lighly dust some of the fruit with Wombaroo Small Carnivore Mix.

Richardsc: Thanks alot for your input! Very much appreciated also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back