The In's and Out's of Keeping Sugar Gliders.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
all i can say is if you are planing to get rich of these glidder think again ......

i wish i could have em in NSW....if we can i really would consider getting them. just 1 question:
sugar gliders are small right and the greater gliders are the big ones?

Luke

Yes - sugar gliders are 2nd smallest glider in Aus. Feather-tail Glider is smallest and Greater Glider is largest.

they are the cutest things i've ever seen!

good luck with them! :)

I adore these guys, would love to own a couple!
I wonder though if they're raised with lots of human interaction, is there a way around the handful/shirtful/hairful of bowel contents when handling?

Thanks for kind words from MOST of the people who have replied.

Diamonddan: I'm not keeping them to try and get rich off breeding them. I've wanted them for a very long time and will just be happy to keep them.

Here's a few other pics.

Last edited:
here are some of my babies that i have cared for over the years ....all have since been put into groups of 10 then released back into the wild :D some are sugar glider some are squirel gliders

Attachments

• twinnysaaaaa.JPG
    twinnysaaaaa.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 86
  • twins5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.JPG
    twins5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 83
  • macey grey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.JPG
    macey grey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 60
  • lindi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
    lindi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 70
Very cute indeed Sigrid. I see why you are especially passionate about these animals.

Thanks again to all!

yea i really miss caring for them i just dont have the time :)
good luck with your new one :)

Thanks to all those with the positive and helpful comments! Turns out they will be arriving next Wednesday (27th). Can't wait!

im personally not so sure how important the orange is in the diet. some websites say everyday others say rarely. the breeder i got mine from occasionally gives it to them but does not see it as an absolute necesity and each time i have offered it to them they heavent touched it. i guess from talking to people and looking at websites thats my own conclusion and each person has to make the decision as what to believe but im just adding my opinion. one main thing almost every site had was that their food needs a higher calcium to phosphate ratio so this is one thing that i am trying to make sure of and with supplements such as wombaroo high protein and small carnivore the ratios seem to be correct so this should help im sure.
good luck with them rocket if i can help any further ( though i am definitely no expert on all things sugar gliders), please let me know. you can ever stop learning so i dont think anyone has all the answers but i am just speaking from personal experience.

You lucky devil Rocket. If I ever come to SA I will be popping by for a cuddle! Um, I mean with your gliders. :shock:

You lucky devil Rocket. If I ever come to SA I will be popping by for a cuddle! Um, I mean with your gliders. :shock:

Sure you meant with Gliders Falconboy.........;) LOL

Thanks so much for the advice Gobo. Will definitely keep in contact with you.

Will also get more pics when she arrives and the avairy over the weekend.

Rocket-----please remember It's important, they get orange in diet!
They are a native Australian animal, orange trees are not a native. They don't naturally eat any of "our fruits" they survive on nectar, leaves and flowers from wattle, gum, bottle brush etc

Will also get more pics when she arrives and the avairy over the weekend.

Several important things about gliders.

Sugar gliders are colony animals and generally do poorly on their own and they can show signs of stress, depression and self mutilate. For these reasons alone, make sure you get more than one.

Having said that,Introducing new gliders to an established colony can be full of issues. Gliders have distinct territories and sometimes new gliders will not be accepted into a group.

A good diet is essential. Healesville Sanctuary have researched for years on this and others.
http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/Pdf Docs/HS Current Diets.pdf

Avoid most internet sugar glider diets as most of these have been put together by amateur US owners who have never had their concoctions analysed or tested for good sugar glider nutrition.

They love fresh native blossoms and offer them fresh branches. An occasional piece of orange is okay but be mindful of feeding it regularly. Fresh insects and blossoms are much better value nutritionally as well as a good variety of fruit/veg/protein etc.

Gliders scent everything and will smell (especially males) though if you keep them outdoors, this is going to be minimal. Just make sure their aviary provides enough room, adequete shelter from rain and hot sun. An airlock into the cage is really worthwhile as they are small and quick and the last thing you want is an escapee. Even some hanging plastic strips over the door is better than nothing if you don't have an airlock.

Rocket-----please remember It's important, they get orange in diet!

How does that work then? Oranges aren't native to Australia, so they certainly wouldn't be part of gliders' natural diets. Wouldn't it make more sense to ensure they get something closer to their natural diet???

EDIT: lol, sorry nuthn2do - just saw your post!

Duhhh nuthn2do can't we get you on mastermind! Your special subject could be the bleedin obvious! Of course gliders don't have access to orange trees in the wild! In captivity they generally dont have access to eucaluptus sap and exudates, the flowers, insects, wattle gum and necter that you discribe. If in captivity you provided them with all these they wouldnt need orange in diet at all! As most people give them artificial diets which lack in certain vitamins and minerals a piece of orange makes up for these. Get it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back