The most terrifying night of my life!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if that Funnel Web bit and killed one of them, then he's a murderer in my book.

I would be going back there to camp with mates I can trust, and baseball bats. And I would use them!

Why not just take ur lace monitors for a trip ;)
Just joking :)

Thx for all who have replied, ill start by answering some of the questions posted, as for if any of the land is owned or not, I don't think it is, out there is nothing but bush and judging by the sattelite maps that I've looked at, the area which we camped is a long way from anything, no houses, no open areas, no recreational areas for many kms..

As for the guy with the beard there's not much I can say apart from he was dirty, scary looking and had abeard and long dark hair, I couldn't see much of him cause it was very dark .

I have no idea as to what happened with my tent and belongings, there as no way I was going back there!!!!

I know its strange as to how this guy was keeping pace with us while we were on the track with torches and he was on in the scrub with no torch but its just one of many questions ill probably never have answered....
Weather this was just some homeless guy with nothing better to do or if we stumbled near some weed crops and they were protecting this I have no idea, all I know is it was not a situation I ever want to be in again..

Cracker of a story by the way j law just checked it out on google earth not that far from Sydney there is probably dead bodies and crops scattered all over the joint

Jlaw if you would be keen, I would be interested with going back with you during the day with a few of my mates? You can bring anyone you like as well and anyone here off APS. I would be keen to go back to your tent site and have a general look around that area. I have never been to Kuring gai national park but I get free entry to all NSW National parks through the SES.

Thx for the offer monitor keeper, it's something I will have to think about... I have been offered to go back before with other people but I never take it up due to the fact that I don't think I can go back there without a gun or something and if I did I don't want to make a mistake because something spooks me and blow someone's head off!!!!!

I must apologise for sidetracking the thread with my tale of my mates.

What you experienced is of a serious nature. There are however a number of difficulties involved in doing something about it. It is not illegal to wander around in the bush at night. So the person who followed you has not actually any laws. It would be virtually impossible to prove this person placed the spiders in your tent, without you being present at the time and able to identify him as the culprit.

With respect to the spiders… Red-backs are non-aggressive and will simply drop to the ground and curl up in a ball if threatened. Never-the-less their inclusion as a potentially deadly animal clearly makes your exposure to such circumstances of the most serious nature. Funnel-webs are quite aggressive when disturbed. The male is the wanderer, who goes in search of a mate. Taking up temporary residence in shoes or sock or other clothing dropped on the floor, they are given to bite when disturbed. Even the female, when removed from her web, becomes quite aggressive if deposited in the open. Males tend to be considerably more venomous than the female due to the lower usage of their venom. There are, however, a number of spiders that look very like the funnel-web. The House Spider and a number of Trapdoor species look very similar and could readily be mistaken by anyone without particularly good field identification skills of funnel-webs.

Clearly you are limited in what you can do to redress the situation. I can appreciate the why of some of the comments, such as shot gun pellets of lead. I would suggest that Saltpetre cartridges would be just as effective and would get you into a lot less trouble with the law should the recipient thereof be inclined to complain.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back