The need to breed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, too small for my three biggest girls, plus it's not healthy to feed them pinkies more than every couple of months, they require a mainly invertebrae diet.

I don't like doing it at all, because usually you have to feed them live for the spider to take it, and the pinkies seem to take a long time to die from the venom. I feel really cruel doing it :cry: Be much worse and painful than dying from being constricted.

Disabled locusts would be a perfect size :)

Ah I see what you mean, fascinating stuff, but im still squeamish about spiders lol :D
Fancy keeping pet spiders, you weirdo you! :D

hi
i started cricket breeding for the 1st time a mouth ago and found it easy started with 10 crickets and now i got a 1000 little ones running around there so cool

We have not long started to breed our own crickets.
Just a little bit of research can get you many many crickets.
The very first batch of eggs we got about 200+ babies out of them.

Yup Earthworms are great for frogs n turts, blueys like em on occasion too. Very easy to breed, youll find a demand for em, nobody will buy pisces earthworms if they can get homebred ones. Snails would be good too, not sure to breed those but a suplly in cooler months would be tops. :D

I breed a truck load of woodies each year. Last year I sold some but generally people only want $20 or so worth at once and it's too much of a frig around to sell them in such small quantities. I was thinking about going back to freezing them and sticking them on the compost heap this year, but if people are having trouble sourcing them I might consider something.

Reptilegirl said:
are earthworms any good??
I breed earthworms for my Spinipes and they absolutely go crazy on em, by far their favourite treat. (dust with calcium/vitaminD3). By far the easiest food source to breed, just throw some dirt in a garbage bin with occasional kitchen scraps thrown in and they breed readilly.
One advantage(one of many) of living in the country is from spring onwards we have plagues of big juicy blowflies and crickets everywhere.

Hmmmm maybe I should try earthworms for my Spinipes! They're too lazy to chase a roach but if there's one sitting infront of them not moving they might go for it so an earthworm sounds like it would go down nicely lol :lol:. Thanks for the idea Parko!

Yeah - I second that Zo!!

I used to work for a place that bred Crix in large numbers to supply all of the froggie fans out there.
It was a SH*T LOAD of hard work. Mind you - we WERE bredding in huge numbers. But I don't know if I could be bothered putting all the work in for a small result...
I think I will stick to the roaches :lol:
I HATE crix!! lol

Can ya get earthworms from Pisces to start you off? Or even just to try them on to see if they'll take them? This sounds weird saying but is there some special type of dirt you use? lol

Yeah I seen chinese tubs Zoey $7 rippoff, visit a garden :lol: Heaps in mine, all organic

My dragons (spinipes) would not eat the worms used in a worm farm (reds blues and tigers) but would take the common earth worms dug from the garden. We used to get these 3' monsters, they would take one bite off the end of them sometimes :)
They also love snails.
Once I'm a bit more settled in, I'm thinking of breeding woodies to sell.

3' that's bloody huge! Geez I couldn't tell 2 diff types of worms apart if you paid me :? . Maybe I could try snails too. Do yours like the woodies Mags?

I'm thinking of breeding woodies to sell

I'm thinking of doing the same but I'd like to try with Crickets. We have a double car garage which if we really wanted to we could set up to breed all sorts of insects in. I've heard crix are a lot of work tho so I'd probably just start breeding them for our own animals but depending on how much time we have to put into it we could maybe sell the excess to fellow keepers.

Maybe I could try snails too. Do yours like the woodies Mags?

Woodies were their 5days a week food source.
I never offered mine snails for ages, even though I had a heap for the pink tongue, then someone (ad?) mentioned giving them to a boyds I think so I offered, they took, I smiled :)

Cricket - breeding

Cricket breeding honestly is the cheapest & easiest.

PM if you want to know how I do it - I save heaps of cash by breeding & it is sooo easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back