Thermometer warning!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just reading about Liana's turt brings me to mention my own near disaster just a few hours ago, Ive have one of those cheap yellow backed thermometers with the red stuff inside, suction cupped to my frog tank.
I saw it fall off and retreived it and stuck it back on.
A short time later i went to check the temp and it said 40c. I thought what the? no way, it was then i noticed the smell. The damn thing had landed on a smooth rock and shattered the bulb.
Thankfully it hit the rock way above the water level, so it was mostly contained, but there was a small slick.
Ive removed the frogs and sprayed them clean with dechlor water just in case (they were high out of the way) and completed stripped and scrubbed the entire tank. Pretty sure i got it all now, but i wont return the frogs till morning when the smell has dissapated.
So just a warning, i dont know whats in them, mercury?, but its definatly toxic. I wont be using them in the frog tank (above the water anyway) again. Wondering if they could be dangerous when broken (toxidity) to snakes aswell. Will invest in a few more good thermo hygros i think.

I think u'll find that red stuff is alchole (or how ever its spelt). they don't reALLY use mercury these days.

i have been impressed with the accuracy of these little guys and for 5.50 you cant really go wrong... oh and there is no mercury :)

Whatever it was ,it was oily and smelt alot like kero or something. Will definatly invest in a safer option, must stick to glass without coming off tho. :wink:

thats the other good bit about these guys they are magnetic i put a little bit of tin on the outside of the enclosure and the thermometer on the inside.... and there you have it no mess no fuss and fully movable

The red stuff is alcohol, you could drink it all and not blow a reading when the cops pull you over. The mercury thermometers are expensive and mercury is metalic coloured, not red. Those cheap ones are sold with the fact that children will play with them in mind, so they won't use anything that could cause harm. By far the most dangerous bit is the glass, which can break and be sharp.

I agree with Stockeh, for $5.50 they're not bad! I stick them in one or two tubs of eggs in the incubator each year, along with electronic probe ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back