They "must" like me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cr@p there is 10 minutes i will never get back.
Back to topic
Baden being a gov organization i think you are overlooking the lazy fact.
It is easier to audit a large breeder/keeper like yourself knowing that it will all turn out ok. way less paper work and to their boss they have kickin @rses and takin names..
I would say like all other government departments they get a pay rise per inspection and why not do it the easy way..

Wow only about 2 pages actually apply to the original topic. Not in Qld but never had a visit, I just make sure all my paperwork is in order just in case. It seems highly unfair to be targeted for no apparent reason. Hope you can sort it out and they stop bothering you.

Yeah well back on topic, I think it sucks that people can be relentlessly investigated for no apparent reason (unless they're possibly linked to cases of mass murder ;) )QUOTE]

Have you met Baden? He'd make a great serial killer, he gets my vote for the main part of wolf creek 2 :) i reckon he'd wreck your day if you were every found at his house uninvited or another reason for all the visit's is those attractive EPA girls that were at the GC expo might think his ruggedly handsome... food for thought... lol

Yeah well back on topic, I think it sucks that people can be relentlessly investigated for no apparent reason (unless they're possibly linked to cases of mass murder ;) )QUOTE]

Have you met Baden? He'd make a great serial killer, he gets my vote for the main part of wolf creek 2 :) i reckon he'd wreck your day if you were every found at his house uninvited or another reason for all the visit's is those attractive EPA girls that were at the GC expo might think his ruggedly handsome... food for thought... lol

Sounds like a scary bloke, haha. I doubt that he would deserve the attention he's getting from the EPA, though. I've seen the pics of his animals and they're fantastic, plus the scale he sells at must speak for itself.

Unlucky.

Although I think the last thing you want to do is piss them off. If they want to inspect you twice a year, they're going to, they're the government.

Horrible thing to happen to that family, but I don't know if I'm completely against it. If the information was correct and an attack was potentially stopped then I say good job. I'd much rather have someone (even myself if it came down to it) to be harassed a little bit, rather than take a chance so we don't step on any delicate flowers toes and have a bomb go off. Since these new laws they raided residencies in Sydney and they've uncovered plans and materials for large scale bombs.

Think about that attack that happened in Norway or wherever it was, where that guy pumped rounds into school children and similtaneously blew up a building... If someone actually decided to raid him they would have found his plans, which were found after the fact. They had more than enough reason to, he purchased 5 tons of fertiliser....

It's a shame that a-holes dob innocent people in for their own amusement, but if it got to the stage where it was "just another person crying wolf" then who knows what could happen.

There was a case in the UK where a bloke was living with the train bombers and a sim card of the bomber was found at the house of the "innocent" man. He was held and released after a couple of weeks. There's no doubt in my mind that he knew about the attacks. I think they were right in detaining him.

And they love to make you feel better about losing your freedom by making it seem neccisary.
Here is how it works. You want freedom? You won't be safe.
You want safety? You won't be free.

Its all a huge game. The government profits off having their population in control and they ride a fine line to do just that.

Its too difficult to double quote on my phone but to whom ever mentioned Australia's 'free to do as you like' way of life, unfortunately you seem to have missed whats going on around you. I will use my industry as an example to show that we are in fact one of the most heavily regulated countries in the world.

As a manager in the hospitality industry, it often amuses me how many times a day I have to squiggle the little thing I tell people is my signature. Every time I give you money, money you won fairly on a pokie machine (that is controlled and monitored 24/7 in a government centre somewhere) I have to take your full name and signature, I'm also required by law to have you on camera, I also have to provide my full name, and signature and also a license number (which to obtain I was subject to history & security checks). All that for $50. If you win $500 its not enough to just have the above, I also must have another person (also subject to those checks) check that the transaction has been processed correctly. Then I have to keep that one slip of paper for YEARS. If your happen to win a jackpot and win $10,000 or more, then again the afore mentioned is not enough, I must also complete another direct notification to the government about your good fortune. Which is under the guise of possible money laundering and anti terrorism.

And that's just a payout, you should see the laws and responsibilities when I pour you a beer to go along with it. To manage a venue I hold 2 licenses and am required to have competed another 4 courses, which must be current (some to be renewed anually).

+1 LOL

had a few visits from DERM. one was a random audit of my paperwork when i down sized my collection which just happened to be at the same time i had a heap of hatchies ready for sale, perhaps because there was a lot of paperwork going into them over a short period they wanted to check out the conditions etc.

second visit was when i applied for a vens licence and they wanted to check my herp room and enclosures were escape proof and lockable in the case of an elapid getting out.

had no issues with them coming in as i follow the rules and have everything in order. both times they contacted me and asked for a suitable time they could come in and see me.

and i have to admit both the girls were a pleasant treat for my eyes, my wife even got a little jealous that i went in the house with them :)

I've had one when a pair of bearded dragon were literally dropped on my doorstep and I did the right thing and informed DSE, requesting to get them on licence. Of course I heard nothing for 3+ months then one day I'm at my boyfriend's and they call up saying they're taking them away to be destroyed! Just brilliant... I found them very difficult to deal with, especially considering how emotional I was. They've said they'd keep a close eye on my but I've since had nothing happen.

Visits seem a little tame in QLD these days. I remember the old days well, setting fire to the fauna record book, punchs thrown, lounge room wrestling, assault charges and jail. Mind you , the fauna police back then were a different and seperate unit to the QLD DEC.

Hey all - interesting thread.
I've only had my license for 2 years now but the only contact DERM has had with me was after I emailed them to let them know my new address.

Cat

If you don't have a warrant to record someone without their knowledge and then you go ahead and record them without informing them, it's inadmissible in court.

So then stipulate that if they wish to enter your premises you will be recording it.....we have just had all new security put through our place to help protect our collection and if they turn up here they would be more then welcome to check our lot out but be told to smile for the camera's that are recording everything.

Random or prearranged inspections are OK with most of us who feel they have nothing to hide and as long as the officers are polite and reasonably intelligent, it's cool to go through the process. However, whet it comes to what Baden is experiencing, it's another matter and I would certainly be writing a letter to the Regional Director outlining the unacceptable conduct of the particular officers and demanding reasons why such frequent inspections are necessary.
That would be my first step.

I wonder if he would get a polite letter and then another visit? Or his next MA declined? People that think they have power can be very petty when they think that is threatened...

Holy cr@p there is 10 minutes i will never get back.
Back to topic
Baden being a gov organization i think you are overlooking the lazy fact.
It is easier to audit a large breeder/keeper like yourself knowing that it will all turn out ok. way less paper work and to their boss they have kickin @rses and takin names..
I would say like all other government departments they get a pay rise per inspection and why not do it the easy way..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back