thick tailed gecko help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbonsing

Reaction score
hey guys
im getting a breeding pair of thick tailed geckos (barking geckos ) and juast wanted to know what size enclosure should i use there are very conflicting ideas out there so i thought i would just ask
the second thing was im not sure what substrait to use i was thinking kriters krumble (fine coco fibre) or sand or evan a mix of both
thirdly was i am only 16 and still at school with only a part time job so i dont relly have alot of money well not enough for a comercial incubater and i was wondering if i used the aquarium design but use an esky instead i think this will hold the heat better this is where you place water and a fish tank heater half way in a esky and then place a rack just out of water level with the usual container with vermiculite and the eggs in it so what do you all think of that would it work

hope you can help cant wait to get them
cheers josh

1. Enclosure size - 400mm x 400mm x 300mm H as a guide. Put 2 hides minimum in enclosure plus shallow water bowl.
2. Best substrate would be red sand. I have used Kritters Krumble in the past and not real great when feeding. If they miss the cricket, they normally eat a bit of wood instead and I have had pieces stuck in their mouths a few times. Red Sand is so much easier to work with.
3. Incubator - never bred a reptile, so have no comments on this. Plenty of threads on this topic though.

I house 2 adults in a 30 litre,tub but a 2ft enclosure should be sweet for substrate fine bark is good u can also used sand or u can do half half not sure on the incubator never seen someone do that I hope this helps cheers

Mine are in a 35L tub each, as I don't plan on breeding them in this season (female is only 14mths)
I found like atothej09 they were eating a bit of substrate(witnessed them eating it and in their poo's), so I sifted most the coarse and long fibres out and mixed some play sand in(50/50). I have since noticed their poo's are looking much better. I have also used play sand and red sand with good results.
check the DIY section for how to make a Foam box Incubator Solar17 and just recently crocka have made good threads on this topic.

I use both play sand and brickies sand with them for over a year now. $4 a 20kg bag at bunnings. Both work well though the brickies sand dries out and becomes very hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back