Thick-tailed gecko problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gecko_luv

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Recently i have noticed that one of my thick tailed geckos (Underwoodisaurus milii) had a swollen tail. It looked like it was about to fall off. A few days after I went to check on my thick-tails. The one with the swollen tail acted funny, become very skittish. Suddenly its swollen tail started to shake widly. My thick tailed gecko kept on attacking its swollen tail bitting it hard. Soon after my thick tail managed to rip it off.

What should i do now that my thick tail has lost it tail, will it get infected or worse die? :(Recently i have swapped from small crickets to medium crickets. Some of the crickets had already grown wings and i fed one each to my thick tails. Are the wings of the cricket are problem? How many medium crickets should i actually feed each to my geckos? Should i swap back to small sized ones?

The thick tail with the swollen tail has a piece of stuck shed on its eye which i cannot get off, not even gently rubbing it with a q tip or keeping the tank humid, the shed piece will not come off. Any suggestions? I've noticed on the gecko with the swollen tail that near tail where it used to be had darkened is that a blockage?

I have provided some pics. Please help! :) my other thick tailed gecko has no problems at all.

Attachments

• IMG_6525.jpg
    IMG_6525.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6527.jpg
    IMG_6527.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6526.jpg
    IMG_6526.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 95
RE the bad shed eye
Leave it for now if it does not come of next shed or u are concerned take it to a vet
Do not attempt to take it of urself as chances are you will do more bad than good
Re Crickets
How big is ur gecko?
Re tail
i cant give u any 1st hand advice that would help but i would suggest taking to vet asap
My gecko had a tail bacteria infection due to bad shed, i took her to a vet he gave me some anti-bac ointment and it was fine 3 weeks later, all up costing $60 including meds
He did tell me that with reptile wounds is not good to let them scab over and u should attempt to keep them clean and remove any scabs so it does not encourage infection
Having said this i am not a vet and no one on here even a vet can give u the same benefit of seeing a vet face to face.

Last edited:
poor little fellow i am no help i dont own geckos have heaps outside never seen that b4 hope you find what u need

The vet also said that i should avoid humidity in my tank until the tail was healed because it can incourage bacteria

I don't know what was wrong with the tail but obviously there was a problem and your gecko sorted it out, the tail should re-generate after a little while as well.
Regarding the crickets I don't think medium size, or wings on them should be a problem, as long as they are being eaten and not left in the tank for long periods and possibly stressing the geckos. A general rule is feed crickets that are sized no bigger than the width of the gecko's head.
Regarding the skin on the eye, as mentioned previously, it is best not to touch it.
Anyways like also previously mentioned, take the little fella to the vet and get an expert opinion. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions for good reptile vets in NSW?

RE the bad shed eye
Leave it for now if it does not come of next shed or u are concerned take it to a vet
Do not attempt to take it of urself as chances are you will do more bad than good
Re Crickets
How big is ur gecko?
Re tail
i cant give u any 1st hand advice that would help but i would suggest taking to vet asap
My gecko had a tail bacteria infection due to bad shed, i took her to a vet he gave me some anti-bac ointment and it was fine 3 weeks later, all up costing $60 including meds
He did tell me that with reptile wounds is not good to let them scab over and u should attempt to keep them clean and remove any scabs so it does not encourage infection
Having said this i am not a vet and no one on here even a vet can give u the same benefit of seeing a vet face to face.

Thanks for the advice. Do you know any good reptile vets in NSW? If you do could you provide details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back