thinking about a monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalboy

Reaction score
hey
im thinking i want to get a monitor
just look to you guys for some expirences youve had with them
im not really to worried on size but i want it to be somewhat tame
ideas?

If you want something that handles a bit easier and you're on class 1 licence still then your only option really is Ackies. I have tristis and just love them but they aren't good for handling. Not many monitors would be considered "tame" though

I agree with Saximus, if you are on class one, then ackies are great. I kept and bred them for many years and only sold them off in the last year or so. Great first time monitors IMO.

Yes 'tame' is an individual thing... I have a young Ackie, sweet little guy, as tame as I could hope for at times - but it doesn't change the fact he's a crazy, flighty, hungry creature who'd just as soon test his baby teeth on my finger! :p

Probably my favourite animals next to my small elapids.
I'd go an ackie, Gillens or Tristis.
They all love heat, food and are extremely active.
I only have Tristis out of those three, but know a few people with the other two. They tame down enough to hand feed them but watching them hunt is very entertaining as well :)

As the others have said monitors aren't exactly "tame" although some individuals are actualy tame mainly from the accanthrus spp.
most will only tolerate handly but to no length enjoy it.

yeh i sort of understood that they arnt gunna be te best
but was looking for something that is good for a first
thanks heaps for the help guys

Tristas are quite flighty compared to ackies, they are definately the pick if you are after something that can be handled. Mine were very tame and would walk up my arm and sit there whilst I cleaned out there tank, they would then happily walk back when they were ready.

I have Gillen's. I am not the kind of person that needs to handle my animals so these fit my needs perfectly. However if you want something you can handle especially often then these guys are probably not the guys for you. They are awesome to watch, hunting acrobatics are amazing and they commonly interact with each other in various interesting ways. However mine which are admittedly young and the first I have had, are constantly watching, they are very intelligent and know the difference between my hand coming in holding food and my hand coming in to pick them up (although I have not really tried to hold them yet as I am settling them in but did need to pick them up to change the setup a bit once), the instant it looks like I am going to touch them they bolt, go for crevices and cracks, they are however perfectly happy to and will run up to your hand to feed from it.

From what I have heard, I would agree with the general consensus of Accies.

Hey Geckophotograhper just wait till your guys get some size on them they'll be very confident then!

Haha I hope so. They are really awesome little guys and if they end up handleable it will be all the better if not, well they are awesome to watch all the same.

Even a tame adult monitor can do horrible damage by accident
If its sitting on your shoulder and slips you will probably be visiting a hospital

I saw a tourist get ripped up in the Whitsundays, 48 stitches and a helicopter ride

Wonderful wonderful highly intelligent beasties
But can inflict substantial damage

An ackie could never do that kind of damage.

If its sitting on your shoulder and slips you will probably be visiting a hospital

I saw a tourist get ripped up in the Whitsundays, 48 stitches and a helicopter ride

I think a ackie is the way to go guys Now just to find oneAny for sale guys?

A lacie, yeh, an ackie....or any small monitor for that matter...never. I have been bitten by them many times, draw blood, yes, stitches. Never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back