thorny devil hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
Just saw on the ABC news that a reptile park in Alice Springs has just hatched out thorny devils. The hatchlings were as cute as! They said they normally incubate the eggs but they let these hatch naturally. THe cynicial part of me translates that as either the incubator was full or they didn't see the nest.
Anyhow congratulations to the park, well done!

Nice to hear some good news! :D

Boy would i love to get one of those. They're like a miniature dinosaur and look so cool 8) I'm guessinthat they would be a lot of work keeping and feeding these compared to most lizards in general :?:

Would they have to be fed ants all the time :?:

excellent news peter combin and the gang are top herps from the terriotry wildlife park

Yes they would have to eat ants, but they will eat the little black ones that are in your garden, I have heard of a bloke in NT who just takes it outside and sits it on the anthill until its had a feed and brings him back inside. Thats easy up there though, The backyard ones would pose a few problems, neighbours pesticides etc.
They may be available in a year or two, a ssc vet is trialling how they handle captivity, contact him if you are serious. I'm assuming they will be around $1000 when they are available.
I think they are unique and awesome, I just think lots of extra work is required, but i could see them on my list in years to come (and I said no more lizards!)
I would love to see/study the silly walk and the colour changes, the drinking style, they are cool alright.

I would love to see pics of the hatchies, does anyone have any?

babymoloch.gif

thats the only photo i could find of hatchies

cheers, jono

There's a show called "WILD AUSTRALASIA" or AUSTRALIA on tomorrow 7.30pm Queensland time on ABC.There were some shorts of a thorny devil.Should be worth watching for anyone interested :)

I have heard of a bloke in NT who just takes it outside and sits it on the anthill until its had a feed and brings him back inside.
I have also heard that they will only eat a particular type of ant.
Obviously I don't have a thorny devil myself (but would dearly love to) so I am only passing on what the 'experts' have told me.

Greebo said:
I have heard of a bloke in NT who just takes it outside and sits it on the anthill until its had a feed and brings him back inside.
I have also heard that they will only eat a particular type of ant.
Obviously I don't have a thorny devil myself (but would dearly love to) so I am only passing on what the 'experts' have told me.
\

I have heard that myself also...I will email peter at the terrioty wildlife park and find out

Hi all I recieved some info about ant species which the Moloch will eat....

Hi Marc,

"as far as I know, in the wild, they eat only ants in the genus Iridomyrmex,
these are the small pitch black ants that get into everything. They prefer
ants that move on a trail rather than ants that just run all over the place.
The ants must be diurnal as well. This factor alone would exclude many
species of nocturnal ant from their diet. Pianka will have some ecological
info on them available on the net."

I will seek aditional info on captive Molochs.....

Pianka says that Molochs can eat between 675-2000 ants at one sitting...thats alot of ants..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back