thorny devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinsrodents

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Why is it that I never see any Thorny Devils for sale???
Q.. Are thay called somthing else???
Q...Are you allowed to keep them???
Q,,.If so where do I buy them???
Q...Price aprox???
[email protected] :?:?:?

You need a regular daily supply of the correct species of live ants to feed them.

as wokka said u need the right species of ant and u need thousands of them a day or something.

Will

very eaily done if you capture a live queen and plant her in the enclosure but to start the colony it will take a few months
melbourne museum has done this succesfully ! they are cool little animals but dont do much

yeah i think its not a matter of them not being availible, its the fact that due to their diet you could only just manage keeping them alive, if you lived inside their natural habitat range in central australia, to be able to provid the correct species of ants. i have heard them selling at times for around $5000ea. thats just what i've heard please correct me if i'm wrong?:)

Can u actually keep them on a "regular" license, or do u need a "special" license?

Will

Surely you would do a basic bit of research on them before asking about purchasing one?

Surely you would do a basic bit of research on them before asking about purchasing one?

Surely I thought thats what the OP was doing by starting this thread?

Fair enough. Just when I research something, I find out what their diet is and some basic husbandry information before asking where I can purchase one and how much they sell for.

Why is there always someone on here wanting to put people down. I thought this is what the site is for to ask questions and to get advice.

Theyre not written on any licence

Sure they are, some people do keep them. I've seen captive bred animals (legally owned). Very few people bother because of the hassles involved in keeping them, but some do it. People have come up with various ways of catching their food and giving it to them, it's a bit more complicated than just dumping the ants into the Moloch enclosure. I posted pictures of captive bred ones on this site a few years ago, the thread may still be there.

im pretty sure there was an article about them in reptiles australia but the ones they were keeping had died corect me if i am wrong

Here are some captive bred ones, they are not mine but a mates. They are very easy to keep and breed if you have the ants. This female was brought inside due to a heat wave.
155.jpg

065.jpg

058.jpg

That pics is so awsome!!:D:D that would be nice to see hatchie molochs pipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back