thorny devils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahbell

Reaction score
I know im a pain in the but about asking about hard to get herps ,but does any one know of any breeders of thorny devils.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

You will not find any in captivity. They basically don't exist apart from probably a few people...though I've not heard of any. Also, not sure that these are actually listed on any private licensing system's species list.

Simon Archibald

i have only met one person who keeps these. they only eat certain species of ants which would be a problem with people down south. this guy found a nest of these ants and fenced around it and puts his thorny devils in everyday for a feed

Didnt know that greebo, that be handy for em. I was under the impression they primarily got water by it running down their face toward the mouth during rain? wouldnt think there would be many puddles where they are found? :?

works in many ways inny - any dew that falls anywhere on their body is channeled to their mouth, via this capillary action. moisture in the sand...

Re: RE: thorny devils

jimmy_the_kid said:
lol cant that squirt blood out of the eyes also lol nad ill spell it how i want u knew wat i was trying to say lol

no these dont do this

RE: Re: RE: thorny devils

things can squirt blood out of their eyes?

I think I know what you're talking about.. it's more of a red oozy thing than a squirt though isnt it?

Squirting blood from the eyes is a defence mechanism of the Horned Lizards of the genus Phrynosoma, 13 species of lizard from North and Central America. Popularly refered to in Westerns as "Horney Toads", they can squitr the blood a distance of 2 - 3 feet. And like the Thorny Devil, they are exclusive ant-eaters. The Texas Horned Lizard (P. cornutum)was a popular species in the pet trade, but they all would just slowly die over an extended period because no-one gave them the correct diet.

:p

Hix

When I was in the NT last year I was told there are only three places licensed to keep them: the Alice Springs Desert Park, the Alice Springs Reptile Park (or whatever they're called), and the wildlife encounter display people at Yulara. I don't think any private licenses have been issued in the NT.

In NSW, they aren't even listed on the RKL system, indicating that they may not be kept. I imagine the other States are similar.

Over the years the odd Moloch has been brought into Taronga - someone has returned home from an outback holiday and has found one in their luggage. Taronga has always sent them back to Alice Springs because Sydney doesn't have the ants they eat. I remember one came in a little over ten years ago, Terry tried it on local ants but it just refused them.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back