Time to Beat the Blues!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poggle

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Ok so my past twelve months haven't held alot of good luck for me.

1. I had an accident at end of last yr and was in a coma for my 21st! Was this way for 2 weeks.
2. Lost my job due to not being able to work, thanks to work! lol
3 Good point, got married to the love of my young life in may.
4. Was hit on my motorcycle by a drunk driver. Not able to do much again. Driver drove off, left me to paty for everything!

So in an effort to beat these problems, i am going to try some thing new. I am packing my life up into a caravan in end of November, and travelling across to the great northern territory in an effort to find the things i love and find my self again. EG. seeing plenty of herps.

So if you live there, or have been there, please let me know of some great places to visit. My wife used to live there and so far we are doing like the usual, Katherine, Kakadu, Lichfield and mataranka. But what about those special places?

When i get back, i am going to go in search of that dream job. Working all day with reptiles. Even if it mean i have to look at opening my own thing. It is my passion and i have worked with Herps my whole life, and i feel now i want that back

Apart from allt hat i wil now have the oppertunity to increase my personal collection. So any one with any thing let me know :D

Cheers,

PoG :D

All i can say is WOW your not having much luck, i hope everything turns around and you have a good run from here on out.
Cheers ben ;)

Make sure you call into a little place called Daly Waters In NT at the caravan park/Pub, great stop over. Its 168kms south of mataranka. Great entertainment and food! best part of our road trip. Don forget the devils marbles either!

Woah mate hope life looks up from here.. that'd be a great trip and an awesome experience. Just one curious question: how did you know the driver was drunk if he drove off?

Pog the best way to find those NON touristy spots in the NT is to drop in to the local water holes and speak to the locals ,they live there so they know way more about spots then anyone else and ya might even get an invite to stay with them ...we did a few times it was fantastic ...miss the road trips we travelled for just under 3 years ...

i did not enjoy mataranka very much but the devils marbels is a nice place at sunset/rise. if you have a 4x4 try gunloom they have a nice water hole to swim in there and try jim jim falls and this is nice aswell and not many people there because u need a good 4x4 not a little crapy thing like an x trail or a rav 4. one other 4x4 is palm vally. there is a little bit of a creek crossing that stops the 2 wheel drive cars getting in but after that its all good. very nice place

also do odnadatta it was a nice drive out there. only down side to that is if it rains then it can get slipery ( dad and i went and ended coming out the short way after it rained for 14 hrs and we convoyed with 12 other people who were same situation as us )

Jeebers....I had noticed you hadn't been on here for a while, and I wondered why :shock:

Hope things only look up for you now :)

All the places suggested already, I would second.
I enjoyed the thermal pools at Mataranka, and the pub at Daly Waters was a top place.
Hell, I liked everything!

Have a great time, when are you leaving?

All those are great places.. but also Darwin in general has herps, I've come across two wild snakes in the garden in the last year, one was a young olive and the other.. I have no idea.. all I know is that it was a pale yellow :) If you've got keen eyes you ought to be able to find plenty of snakeys wherever you go. Douglas hotsprings had monitors around when we went there last, so I'm sure there'd be snakes and other creatures around if you looked. I've heard crocosaurus cove has a large array of snakes in captivity, if you're willing to pay to get in.

Woah mate hope life looks up from here.. that'd be a great trip and an awesome experience. Just one curious question: how did you know the driver was drunk if he drove off?

This car was involved with another accident in the town not far from where i was hit. Exact same car, the bloke blew .21, he wouldnt have even known he hit me. Alasti could nhot prove it.

And red we shall definately be looking for those non touristy spots.

Shell we are leaving beginning of December, so the wet season will prevent us getting to some places, we have 2 4x4 so both can go most places, not mini ones! lol. Just got back from a weekend in cairns, went up on the sky rail there, and at first stop, what should i see but i beautiful young Scrubby. Pictures to come.

My wife used to work at Crocodylus park, so that wil be interesting to see, not a big fan of croc farms, but i will look at the zoo part any ways.

Had a good day yesterday, Went out to our property, and i saw multples of reps. water dragons every where, a RBB, 2 EB :) and 3 CTS.

All when you dont have a camera, i am a shocker for that

Poggle that's a terrible mate but chin up from here! You'll have an awesome time I've always wanted to trip around Australia, especially the top end. Best of luck!

I really liked King's Canyon when I was there, too.

I am sure it will be great :D looking forward to gettingsome nice snaps of the native wildlife there.

go swimming with some freshy's :) might pass on the salties :p

When i get back, i am going to go in search of that dream job. Working all day with reptiles. ......

You poor thing. You have had a hard time haven't you :( But what you are doing sounds like a great idea. You have your wife ... congratulations ... and heading off for some time out is a great way to remove all that unwanted weight from your shoulders. Try not to dwell on the past, just look at your lovely wife, and look ahead. You never know, you may find that dream job of yours during your travels and may decide, thats it. We are home now, look no further.

I don't know any of those places you mention but my pair of olives (still mine even though they have new owners :( ) were wild caught from Katherine. If you see some, I'd love to see some photos, as would everyone else :D

You poor thing. You have had a hard time haven't you :( But what you are doing sounds like a great idea. You have your wife ... congratulations ... and heading off for some time out is a great way to remove all that unwanted weight from your shoulders. Try not to dwell on the past, just look at your lovely wife, and look ahead. You never know, you may find that dream job of yours during your travels and may decide, thats it. We are home now, look no further.

I don't know any of those places you mention but my pair of olives (still mine even though they have new owners :( ) were wild caught from Katherine. If you see some, I'd love to see some photos, as would everyone else :D

I shall do a thred when iget abck with heaps of photos :)

I plan on seeing alot. I would like to see some wild crocs, not the jumping cruise in a zoo, same with the snakes. I plan on meeting a herp whom is doing research on the inland taipan at the moment, so it shall be my first experience " in the wild" with these snakes.

Just make sure you come back. Don't be silly and get eaten by the croc. The authorities will shoot the animal or capture it and imprison it for the rest of its life if it kills someone.

Hope you enjoy. Take care and have a great time. Get a laptop so you can keep in touch with us.

Just make sure you come back. Don't be silly and get eaten by the croc. The authorities will shoot the animal or capture it and imprison it for the rest of its life if it kills someone.

Haha glad you are worried about me getting eaten and not the croc being harmed!!! lol

Laptop will be comign with me too. :D

Crocosaurus Cove and Crocodylus Park are different places, Crocosuaurs Cove is in the city, it opened only a year or so ago, I think. I've heard Crocosaurus Cove has a good range of snakes that are all active and visible during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back