to cool or not to cool?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craigc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if it is important to let captive snakes hybernate in the winter months. Is there any sort of benefits to letting them do this? My snake is still very young, 3-4 months, and I've been keeping the temps. at 30c in the day while they drop to 24c at night.

It is used for making spoof to breed and to increase there lifespan also no feeding for a few months so ya save money hehe

how much would it increase there life span?

a few years i would think also i wouldnt worry about hibernating your snake till its a bit bigger i hibernated my 10 month childreni now its awake and its eating like crazy its on a growth spurt

Hi craigc, what snake do you have, if it is a Diamond Python, you should let her hibernate next year.

It's not to not of a concern when they are young but when they reach maturity it's best to follow natural conditions and give them some time off.
They don't have to be hibernated as alot of tropical snakes are active through out the year but they just stop feeding for a while.

hey Artie, she's a stimson. Would it be in there instinct to hybernate even if you didn't cool the enclosure? She's not as active as when I first got her.

Craigc, with a Stimson, I would not worry too much about hibernating. But with any snake, it is always better to try and give them as close as possible to their natural conditions, where they come from.
It is possible that your stimmis instincts tell her it's winter and she is somewhat less active, but she defiantly would not want to hibernate at 30c temp.
Has she been slowing down with her food as well?
I would surprise me, as at 4 month they are little gutses

she is a very stuborn eater. I'm having alot of trouble feeding her, she should eat now that she has nearly finished sheding. I've tried to keep her enclosure as natural as possible, I've got reptile sand, and a few logs in there for her.

What do you mean, she should eat now, she nearly finished shedding?

she started around 4pm, kept getting her water bowl for about 10mins at a time, got out and shed some more. I couldn't get to her properly 'cause she gets in tight spots, but it turns out she was only half way there. It's not coming off in one piece.

You may have to try and help her, if it's not coming all off. Check and make sure the eye caps are off, but if not, don't try and do it your self, you can do damage to the eyes.
Hope all goes well and you can feed her next day or so.
You might have to increase the humidity in your enclosure as well.

She has got the front half all off, just waiting for mid body - down to shed. If its not all off by 2morrow I will try some warm water, I was told it works.

It should work, you also can mist the cage a few times as well.
Good luck.
PS Did you check for the eye-caps on the head-skin as yet?

You should raise the humidity level if shedding is a problem.Perhaps a bigger water bowl or even move the bowl closer to the heat source.You could also use peat moss or similar in a jar with a few holes drilled in the lid.This will help in the future anyway but warm water soaking should be whats needed atm.

thanks for all the replies. I did check the eye-caps, they have shed so I don't need to worry about that. I have also put her water bowl closer to the heat source for the humidity to rise. Thanks again for all the replies.

I would be soaking her and removing the rest of the old skin.
Just half fill a ice cream container with warm water and a drop of detergent and soak her for at least an hour.The old skin will peel off quite easily then.
I hibernate all of my snakes that are over 2 yrs. I think my snakes benefit from it and I am in no hurry to get them up to breeding size. I am not in this hobby for the 'money' but I do save money by not having to feed them.

Brendan....a spoof is a comedic parody of a pre-existing body of work. What does this have to do with snakes?
You are one confused kid.

Spoof=sperm greebo, why must you pick at peoples post ? :|
are you an english/grammar teacher or just pedantic? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back