to the people who keep greens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythonlovers

Reaction score
Just wondering last night and ways that i could improve/ make better my gtp enclosures, and one way is a misting system so my question is,
what misting systems do you use or have you made one, and how have you overcome the whole cold water will give them thermal shock issue, do you heat the water with a water heater, and so on.

atm i use a fogger/ or i spray them.

cheers.

Not exactly an answer to your question but you don't really need a mister at all. Just give them a good spray every day or 2 (can be longer but I find this is good) on them and the walls of the enclosure for them to lick the droplets off, also provide fresh water daily. The only real time they need to be kept extra humid is when shedding, otherwise as long as they're hydrated and other husbandry is correct you should have no real issues.

Also, I'm not sure about the thermal shock thing, the water would have to be pretty cold for it to affect them, I just cold water straight out of the tap.

Just my 2 cents.

I mist every 3-4 days only and everyday around shedding. I have even missed the signs of shedding (easy to do with GTPs) and have still had good sheds without misting, although I think it's best if you do mist at these times. I think (not based on any real evidence) that Australian GTPs, or those with a fair bit of Australian GTP in them do not need the constant humidity that PNG, West Papuan and Indonesian animals need. After all Cape York has extended dry seasons whereas these other locations may hardly have seasonal variation at all, depending on where they are. Australian GTP's have also been found in drier woodland adjacent to rainforest.

I use a hand trigger sprayer, $2 from Bunnings and leave it on the top of the enclosure - but water cools instantly the moment it atomises so I'm not sure it makes any differenc to keep it warm. I see mine drinking regularly from their water bowls so I'm not too concerned about dehydration. These observations may not apply to GTPs of different origins where they experience daily rainfall.

i guess it depends. i was only asking cause i wanted to see some cool inventions and so on :) and to Trimeresurus, you use cold water?? i use tap hot water cause i have been told and read that cold water can cause thermal shock to greens...
then i guess it must depend again on circumstances. and you both spray every couple of days? how to you keep your humidity high for such a long period of time?
cheers for both answers.

The humidity in my GTP enclosures drops right off after misting (I also have good ventilation in my enclosures) and I am more concerned about the long term effects of constant high humidity and dampness...probably a recipe for bacteria and fungi and possible RI's. Can't say I'm an expert in GTP husbandry but what I'm doing seems to work for me with the particular animals I have.

another poeple say give them fresh water daily? but with other pythons they dont say it... why do you have to give gtps fresh water? (i do) but its just something i have always found strange.

GTPs drink a lot and hydration is key to avoiding issues with them, things like prolapse and shedding issues seem to be mainly related to hydration levels, it's also good to feed their food to them wet if you don't.

As for spraying, just straight out of the cold tap - it's not like you're putting them in a bucket of it, if you're worried just let it get to room temp, no need to be warm.

You don't need a constant high humidity with chondros, a 24 hour cycle is good giving them a high humidity period after a good spray then letting it dry completely over the course of 24 hours, continuous damp conditions can lead to issues in almost any animal.

If you want a cool diy trick then go buy a personal humidifier or ultrasonic fogger, some tubing, a few plumbing fittings and a skull or dragon statue or what ever you think is cool.

You alter the humidifier with the plumbing fittings where the mist comes out to make an air tight seal with the tubing. Run the tubing behind the enclosure and back in under the statute to hide it then out the eyes of the skull or mouth of the dragon or what ever you decide to use. run it on a timer so its not too much. Few minutes twice a day.

If you want more details how to do this pm me

Last edited:
I mist with hot tap water, once the water is sprayed it gets cooled in the air. I doubt you'd send a gtp into thermal shock although small neos could experience a drop in temp from it owing to their small mass. If I don't heat the water first they flinch when they get misted, hot water they don't flinch as the mist only drops to room temp by the time it hits them. I don't think it's absolutely necessary but I think they prefer it. If they are happy, I'm happy.

I don't like misting systems very much, If you've got loads of greens I do see the point but I prefer to do it by hand and I think it's a good opportunity to get a quick look at them and check their welfare while I mist. I don't mist everyday, some days I mist a little more than others, it depends on the weather and the conditions of the snake and enclosure at the time, misting systems don't have that kind of judgement.

A wet enclosure doesn't always equal a humid enclosure either but it can equal water blisters. Rather then spraying every day I scatter a few handfuls of damp sphagnum moss in the tubs of my older greens. When the moss comes in contact with heat the moisture in it evaporates and maintains a humid but not dripping wet environment. I also use the moss as an indicator of how much I should be misting, if the moss starts to dry out completely I know it's time to spray a little more. I can noticeably feel some of the humidity in the enclosure when I reach my hand in there but nothing is dripping water. Greens are tropical, not aquatic lol.

I also inject water into their food before I offer it. I've only started doing this recently as it was suggested by a breeder I respect a lot (and was also the source of my first gtp hatchy and consequent gtp addiction) I can honestly say my older greens have never looked better. I've never had shedding problems or anything before but the shine on my greens now is unbelievable.

As far as weird and wonderful inventions or innovations I don't have anything to offer but if you're looking for a way to increase hydration, I'd recommend looking into water injection :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back