Toad: Snakey, Lizard and Fish!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs-Dexter

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to forums, so please be gentle . I have googled my following questions and this site came up many times, however the posts where up to 6 years old, so thought i'd start my first forum post.
I have had a gold fish pond for years and hear many frogs when it rains Last weekend, I saw a huge toad sitting in the pond and just wondering will it (or the poisons) kill the gold fish? There are two many lillies to see if they are still alive.
Also, I have lots and lots of those gorgeous little wild skinks, that grow about 8 inches, can the toad harm these? but wait there's more.
I also let my 7 foot Bredli python out for walks (supervised of course) can toads leave anything dangerous ie. poisons/toxins on the ground/on trees/pavers etc that will harm my snakey?
I'm hoping to remove the toad, but finding and catching is the problem, as the pond is deep and i'm not sure if it is still there or in the garden somewhere.
Oh and i have a breeding wild blue tongue who lives under the pond.
Again will the toad harm her?
Many thanks :)

Hi Mrs D,

Cane toads (i assume thats what we are talking about)? will eat just about anything that moves and fit in its mouth including lizards. If the toad is lucky it will catch a goldfish but only if the fish is in very shallow water. I would be concerned that the toad will breed and lay eggs (toxic) turn into tadpoles (toxic) and then metamorphis into frogs (toxic). If your goldfish eat any of these then there is a good chance the fish will die. As far as toxins go your python should be fine unless it comes in contact with the poison the the toad exedes from its glands when threatened (unlikely). Anything that tries to eat small toads including bluetonges are as good as dead.

Sorry for the bad news but hope this helps.

Thanks heaps Jeffa!

My python's name is Dexter but that name was taken so i was trying to be creative haha i.e. Mrs! afterwards i realised i sounded like a grandma and no one has ever called me Mrs! So I’ll have to change that at some stage.
Now back to the point... I went home last night and cleaned out the pond and found no toad :) no eggs :) no tadpoles :) no goldfish :cry: and i haven't seen ‘Mummy’ the blue tongue since the weekend, but I’m not too worried about her as she had a big feed on Saturday and I think she is too spoilt, fat and lazy to even contemplate going after something that moves. As for Dexter he won’t be going outside until I have the all clear. 12 years and no toads !! Maybe it tagged along with the new ‘hoarding’ neighbours that have recently moved in!

Thanks again Jeffa, much appreciated.

Have a nice day :) Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back