Too Hot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KathandStu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, :D

If you live in Sydney you will know just how bloomin' hot it has been during the past couple of days (34-36C out here in the west).

My question is this. I have a 7 month-old Diamond x Carpet & he currently lives in a tupawear container (with holes of course!). There is a heat mat with a thermostat (set at 28C) under 1/3rd of the container. Also there is a bowl of water in there with him.

The thermometer I have in there has been almost contantly at around 34C (obviously the heat mat isn't on much!). The 34C is through-out the container (so no cool spot). I was wondering if this higher temperature is going to make him uncomfortable or hurt him? We don't have air-con so cooling the house (or even the room he is in) isn't a possibillity. We are misting him with tepid water once a day (as per the instructions of the breeder) do you think we should do it more often due to the dry heat?

Your comments & advice are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kath

hi kath,

Is the temp in the room 34 or just in the container?

If it is just the container then i would purchase another lid then instead of holes cut away a large section and put some fly wire there for added ventilation.

If the room is getting that hot "then im not visiting this summer" :lol:

I would move him to a cooler room if possible

Don't forget though that Diamonds are locals to Sydney.

yeh, maybe just unplug the heat mat and make sure it has plenty of ventilation and a water bowl big enough for it to soak in if it wants...

Cheers Alex

Thanks everyone.

da_donkey: Yeah the room temperature is 34C not just the container. I thought about moving him to the bathroom (which is the only room which might be cooler). The problem there is that the bathroom gets all the afternoon sun so it does get as hot (if not hotter) after midday & I hate moving him around too much. Thanks for the idea though.

Menagerie: Yeah I though about that too. But wasn't sure how much influence the Carpet part of him would have. There really isn't much specific info out there about diamond x carpet hybrids or Intergrades.

Ether: I think I will unplug the heat mat (at least during the day when I know it isn't going to get cool unexpectedly). His water bowl is big enough for him to get into easily (& not too deep) but he doesn't seem interested in going for a soak. So maybe he is ok with the heat? He seems ok, as active as usual & feeding well (fed him last night).

Thanks again for yopur advice.

Regards,

Kath

personally i would just head down to a pet shop and buy a plastic tank, they have well ventilated lids in them. i dont use tupaware containers cause the humidity gets to high due to the water bowl and the little amount of air circulation. i would also open the window of the room it is in and the door, with the new container the room will cool down. i wouldnt turn the heat mat off, cause if there is a sudden drop in temp and with the way the weather has been, who knows what it will be in an hour, we could get another storm.

a sudden drop of temp down to say the mid 20'ies (it isnt gonna get much colder than that out west) is much better than a temp hike which could get the cage to over 35 easily....better to be safe than sorry?

Cheers

Kath, during hot weather i would get another container with a ventilated lid, like jason said. I wouldn't turn off the heat mat but i would make sure he has branches so he can climb off the container floor. I would also stop misting him as i dont think that will really cool him down and may increase humidity too much. I would also put the container on the ground where its cooler, and then i would play him some Nightwish :D

give him an ice-block, he'll love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back