Tools for making an enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found with making mine that laminated waterproof MDF worked much better than melamine. Melamine tended to "chip" even with a brand new fine tooth circular saw blade.
You can't get Waterproof MDF from bunnings but mitre 10 usually has it in stock (in various colours too).
You can also buy rolls of edging which you can iron on for a perfect finish.
There is an edge trimmer too which makes the finish look perfect.
If you have a look through my posts, last year I sold a few so you can see what the end product looks like.
Apart from that, ditto for eveything, everybody else has mentioned.

An alternative is to get the local kitchen maker to do the lot !

Get melamine cut to exact size at bunnings and while you are there get a sheet of pegboard cut for back.best ventilation you can get. Then you will just need drill and screws.

The electrical wiring part is the tricky stuff. I designed my enclosures with top opening mesh doors to place dome lights on which meant I didnt have to muck around with wiring it up. Also with the mesh top, I didnt need to have vents cut out.

If you work out all your measurements,the hardware where you get your timber might cut the correct lengths for a small price

They always do it wrong though. It depends on the quality of an enclosure you want in the end. I recommend getting a professional cabinet maker to cut them as they have proper equipment. Even being out by a few mill can make the enclosure look wonky.

I found with making mine that laminated waterproof MDF worked much better than melamine. Melamine tended to "chip" even with a brand new fine tooth circular saw blade.

If you do end up working with MDF, wear a face mask as it can cause cancer if the dust is inhaled.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I will have to work out a good design. A mesh top is a good idea, but I want mine to be stackable - I plan to get more snakes eventually! But good point about the wiring. I will try to think of something non-hazardous.

Peg board is a great idea for ventilation. I've seen an enclosure like that in an SXR info sheet. I will have to dig out that out again and check it out.

I've had stuff cut by Bunnings before. It was fine for what I wanted, but the pieces weren't accurate enough for something like this. If it looks wonky, it'll annoy me. A cabinet maker would be the go this time, and if they can do they entire thing for a decent price, I might consider it. But I do like a little DIY, so I don't actually mind putting the thing together myself.

Now, does anyone know a good cabinet maker in Cairns, preferably on the north side?

If you only need one enclosure, the tools, etc., will cost you more than a ready-made enclosure. Have a look at the Cairns Ultimate Aquariums on Hoare St, Manunda. They have a few there.
Also, you don't need any wiring / heating in Cairns (as you obviously can feel. lol)

I reckon you should ask Waterrat to make you one :)...........When it comes to cages I have seen some rippers in my time but Waterrat's display cages are better then any zoo exhibit that I have seen.

Also, you don't need any wiring / heating in Cairns (as you obviously can feel. lol)

Oooh, yeah, although it has been cooler over the past few days. It seems to be warming up again today.

Thanks for the tip about the place in Manunda. I will check them out. I've been to a few petshops and found only enclosures with the usual petshop prices. That's one reason I'm considering making my own. The other is that I plan to get more snakes in future. :D

All you need is a case of beer.

Being male I sent my better half down to the kitchen makers just before quitting time with a slab and get her to ask if she can go through their off cuts to make a cage for her (imaginary) son. It also helps that she is blonde. She aced it by asking how you cut this stuff and the classic "how do you make it all stick together?" The guys actually cut it to size for her.
Quoted for truth!

You can't get Waterproof MDF from bunnings but mitre 10 usually has it in stock (in various colours too).
Have worked at a cabinetmaker for 7 years and have never heard of 'waterproof' MDF. Think you've been taken for a ride there. Moisture Resistant yes, but not waterproof. And I'd bet my left nut it's not laminated either. It would be melamine as well, but because the MDF substrate is more consistent you get less chipping. Especially compared to cheap imported crappy particleboard anyway. Aussie stuff is better (and has far less formaldehyde).
There is a waterproof product called Nycell that is slightly similar to MDF, where the substrate is actually a high density foam. But it only comes in white and costs 5 times as much as white moisture resistant particleboard.

Renenet: Kilfoy Cabinets should be able to help you out, but they're in Portsmith. They have good software and a weeke CNC machine so if you convince them it's worth the time (maybe there's a gap in the market in cairns?) they might put in a little effort and set it up with mortice & tenon and pre-drilled construction holes for you. Then it's just a matter of assembling the flat-pack.

edit: Also found when designing mine, that to keep costs down it was easier to rebate a piece of glass in a hinged frame door than buying sliding tracks and glass drilled for locks. One large door also allowed easier access to the whole enclosure for cleaning etc.

Last edited:
Nick, thanks for the compliments but don't particularly enjoy making cages, I only do it when I have to.

Reneret, here is a simple enclosure, maybe if you take the plan and pics to some cabinet maker, it should be a breeze. I made it out of plywood and the vents are from Bunnings.

It looks like I can't attach word files here, I'll email you the plans.

Thanks, Michael. Much appreciated.

Nick, thanks for the compliments but don't particularly enjoy making cages, I only do it when I have to.

I certainly wouldn't expect you to make one for me. In any case, you've been helpful enough already. :D

Last edited:
Can't hurt to ask.... he seems to be very partial to red wine so that might grease the wheels abit ;)

Ha,ha,ha .... better go and buy a top quality professionally made enclosure. It'll be much cheaper that bribing me with wine. LOL

Ha,ha,ha .... better go and buy a top quality professionally made enclosure. It'll be much cheaper that bribing me with wine. LOL

I was pretty sure the price in vino would be extremely steep. :D

If you only need one enclosure, the tools, etc., will cost you more than a ready-made enclosure. Have a look at the Cairns Ultimate Aquariums on Hoare St, Manunda. They have a few there.

They're not there anymore, unfortunately. I went on Monday to see what they had and they seem to have closed down. What a shame. :(

tools are easy to get i have been getting tools for birthday and xmas gifts i got a Makita orbital sander for my bday and a Makita Router for xmass last year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back