Touchy Subject but I appreciate any advice on this new territory

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellany

Reaction score
After reading a new thread on here and enjoying finding out about Hets, jags, and what not (which I had no idea about till this forum!), I would like to put it out there basically what I'm thinking....

Now please, sensitive people, I know that this may start some things, but my questions are genuine, and think of me as a person who knows little, but wants to give a snake a home, and thats it.

I dont know anything about Jags, there fore I'll be reading up on the neuro issues etc, so that I know what im getting into before I jump into this, so I'll be reading up more on jags in this forum, but any more would be appreciated.

I would like to get a jag, but a certain one. One that was bound for the freezer etc. The cut and dry of it is that although I respect any breeder who decides that this hatchie or that hatchie is too neuro bound to be viable, I just would like to put it out there that I am not a breeder nor will I ever will be (if I was into breeding I would have bred my BHPs ten years ago but didnt because its not a path I wish to trot down unless I know more and personally I dont want to breed). So my question to anyone is, if you have a jag hatchie that you are considering shipping off to the other side, would you consider passing it on to me, with all the info you deem necessary if I only want it as one solitary pet, and have no intention of breeding it (I have one staffy, one coastal, and one husband. I have no intention of breeding anything in this house ! - oh I have kids, just I have enough kids lol).

Please feel free to tear me to shreds, pm me or the like, but to be honest, I just want to know thats all, if anyone has a jag hatchie, would they consider it ? All info and answers are appreciated, but if you want to take it as a personal attack on pure breeders, its not, I just want to give a jag a second chance, but dont ever want to continue its line.

(My head is now kissing my ...... good bye )

So you just want a twitcy Jag?

I am sure some one will help you out, I have a twitchy one that a Breeder gave to me , Awesome little snake and a lot of people told me I should Freeze it, but they can get stuffed :)

Give it a few years and I am sure you will have to turn down people giving you snakes.

After reading a new thread on here and enjoying finding out about Hets, jags, and what not (which I had no idea about till this forum!), I would like to put it out there basically what I'm thinking....

Now please, sensitive people, I know that this may start some things, but my questions are genuine, and think of me as a person who knows little, but wants to give a snake a home, and thats it.

I dont know anything about Jags, there fore I'll be reading up on the neuro issues etc, so that I know what im getting into before I jump into this, so I'll be reading up more on jags in this forum, but any more would be appreciated.

I would like to get a jag, but a certain one. One that was bound for the freezer etc. The cut and dry of it is that although I respect any breeder who decides that this hatchie or that hatchie is too neuro bound to be viable, I just would like to put it out there that I am not a breeder nor will I ever will be (if I was into breeding I would have bred my BHPs ten years ago but didnt because its not a path I wish to trot down unless I know more and personally I dont want to breed). So my question to anyone is, if you have a jag hatchie that you are considering shipping off to the other side, would you consider passing it on to me, with all the info you deem necessary if I only want it as one solitary pet, and have no intention of breeding it (I have one staffy, one coastal, and one husband. I have no intention of breeding anything in this house ! - oh I have kids, just I have enough kids lol).

Please feel free to tear me to shreds, pm me or the like, but to be honest, I just want to know thats all, if anyone has a jag hatchie, would they consider it ? All info and answers are appreciated, but if you want to take it as a personal attack on pure breeders, its not, I just want to give a jag a second chance, but dont ever want to continue its line.

(My head is now kissing my ...... good bye )

Yeah a flack jacket and a bomb shelter. . . probably wont be sufficient but good on you for asking.;)

Why don't you give a jag sib a second chance instead, no neuro that way.

yeah i thought i might take the cross hair off you kam lol..

Basically I just want to give a snake a home thats not minus 18..... hey if i could set up a place tomorrow that separated all the snakes and they had all appropriate care I would after reading that other thread !.. So if anyone wants to swap me for the freezer (didnt sound as warped in my head lol ) I'm all ears !

I'm the kind of girl that gets sprayed with snake guts after trying to get a big old carpet off the road before the fourbie idiot hit it. Clearly he got it but I got his car with karma later.... off prawn juice in the door frames, nothing dangerous but just enough to make the guy want to spew every time he got in his pride and joy for weeks after

yeah i thought i might take the cross hair off you kam lol..

Basically I just want to give a snake a home thats not minus 18..... hey if i could set up a place tomorrow that separated all the snakes and they had all appropriate care I would after reading that other thread !.. So if anyone wants to swap me for the freezer (didnt sound as warped in my head lol ) I'm all ears !

Thanks Bellany !

I was struggling to hold the fort and supplies are getting low.

Anyway There are some good people that I'm sure would like to see 1 of their doomed critters get a better chance in life. i have a small collection of mutant misfits and if I didnt love them who will. . . it's good to see there are some out there that care

Mate..the thing about neuro issues is that they often get worse, leading to a painful death when they stop being able to feed. I'm sure some dingus would be happy to give you one, but why on earth would you want it?

if the neuro got too bad of course i would sent it off ( I didnt know it was degenerative, thanks for that info ) but if it was just a doomed misfit then unless it was leading to a painful death as you have pointed out I would like to do it, I just hope that whoever gives me the snake knows that I'm not going to breed (I'm also a wildlife carer, so its kind of there that I feel for the buggers, unless of course its in their best interests as you mentioned)

Thanks Bellany !

I was struggling to hold the fort and supplies are getting low.

No worries Kam, I couldnt sit here in my jammies eating doritos and chai and watch you eat bugs lol

Mate..the thing about neuro issues is that they often get worse, leading to a painful death when they stop being able to feed. I'm sure some dingus would be happy to give you one, but why on earth would you want it?

I think that if a keeper is a decent person and their animal is in pain with no chance of relief then they would put it down. If Bellany is willing to give it a chance for a decent life then that can only be a good thing. I doubt she would be willing to let it suffer if it got worse. . . or would you? (looking through squinted suspicious eyes)

. or would you? (looking through squinted suspicious eyes)

Arrhhh... Share my chippies? lol.. no I wouldnt, I regularly have to watch animals get euth'ed at the vet when i get a pick up and its unreleasable... altho I do have two lorikeets that will never be released as the wont ever fly but they are real characters and in no pain (a year old and still have no tail feathers tho they arent runners?) So since this thread didn't explode in my face, if anyone wants to pm me with a misfit that they deem it to be not in pain, I would love to give it a home.

Between that culling thread and that lacie thread a whiles back, I'd love to be a second chance (please kindly tell misfit tho that this is a nunnery and thou shalt not be getting laid anytime soon or later lol)

If it is good enough not to cull off it is worth money btw i am happy to take any free jags as well ,but i wont discriminate as ill take free GTPs and Albinos as well, just thought i would put that out there .

The BIG problem with neurological issues in snakes is that they cannot talk to us

Although we may say it feeds most of the time and just shakes a lot we have no idea what is happening inside

There is a possibility that their quality of life, from their point of view, is abysmal

With most other animals including humans all this is measurable
Most of it is also treatable

So that leaves a question to be answered
If you were in a state of incurable extreme neurological disorder would you want some kind person to keep you alive???

i wouldnt want one just because i feel so awful watching their head swinging around.. they look like they are in pain, which they probably arent, but i cant handle it..

still kills me that people breed these snakes because of asthetic apperance even though there is a very real chance of neuro. i think your doing a good this saving one and trying to help. i just think if this was a human being born that was gorgeous to look at but completely down syndrome would people be ok with that? i hope you get your snake and everthing works out great. :)

I agree on the quality of life argument 100% - I have worked in aged care and disability, there are too many HUMANS kept alive via unnatural means that natural selection would never have allowed... This may soundharsh but I believe I am entitled to this opinion after seeing the utter misery and hardship some of these conditions impose on someone's 'life'.

I think 'save' or 'give a chance' are not really applicable here, no flaming, just trust the exp. breeders' opinions... Perhaps check around, there are plenty of viable 'rescues' if you really want to help an unwanted animal - perhaps it will not be a neuro challenged jag though.

JMO :D

Neuro is a subject that I don't know about for the reasons you stated longqi, and I respect the outcome if it is doomed, but as my recently started thread under culling - or second chance, someone has already said culling and 'unattractive' being one of the reasons, I can tell you now I am dead against culling because of being ugly (I probly wouldn't be here if mum agreed to that lol).. Maybe if some people put up a checklist of reasons as to why they would cull and what reasons I would take it would people find a middle ground?

I was thinking (though bear in mind I'm not a breeder)

1. Neuro - to what degree?
2. Kinks - Where?
3. Ability to feed - or is it just a problem feeder?
4. Pattern not ideal
5. Colouring not ideal
6. Weakling from egg

If anyone else who has knowledge on the subject could they add more or modify?

Conditions in which moving it to someone else for pet purposes could entail -

1. Neuro - not too bad
2. kinks - Not too bad
3. Able to perserveer with feeding
4. Patterning not an issue
5. Colouring not an issue
6. Weakling - to what degree

I don't see why if the snake fits into 3, 4, or 5, it can't be rehomed. And with 1, 2, and maybe 3 or 4, possibly up to the descretion of the breeder and experience of new owner?

Everyones input would be appreciated, I would really like to get a more knowledgable background on something that could potentially save snakes and still keep breeders and pet owners happy?

Thanksss guys !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back