Travel Question: Liquids in hand baggage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconboy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Can any of you recent or regular travellers confirm the rules regarding liquids in hand baggage (taken in the cabin - not the main cargo baggage) for me? International flight that is.

I was under the impression from reading the airline/travel web sites that you could take multiple bottles of liquid as you like as long as each bottle is under 100ml and all the bottles are stored in a clear plastic bag (like a clip lock bag) that has specific measurements.

But I have a friend who travels a lot and they claim its only a TOTAL of 100ml. For example 1x50ml bottle, 2x20ml bottles, 1x 10ml bottle and thats it.

Thanks.

Your friend has it right. And it doesn't matter if your 100 ml bottle of purfume only has 20 mls in it, it still counts as 100 mls. Lipstick and lip gloss also count as liquids, not that that will affect you but if you have lip balm it may.

God, that isn't much. We want to at least take deodorant (which apparently is hard to find in Japan), contact lens solution and the wifes creams etc. Blimey. They've gone a bit overboard.

For deodorant buy one of those salt rocks, they work a treat.

Thanks, never heard of them so googled. I'm always a bit iffy about natural stuff, especially being a stinky bloke! :) Should give one a try before we go.

Also found out they do have 'Axe' which is relabelled 'Lynx' fairly easy to find over there. Don't want to rely on being able to find one though just in case, we'll be doing a bit of walking in humid weather!

Reading it again, I still read it as allowing multiple 100ml containers:

All liquids and gels should be carried in containers with a capacity no greater than 100ml. Liquids and gels carried in containers larger than 100ml will not to be accepted, even if the container is only part-filled.

Containers should be placed in a transparent resealable plastic bag of a maximum capacity not exceeding 1 litre. The 100ml containers must fit comfortably within the transparent plastic bag, which should be completely closed. The plastic bag should be presented for examination

What do you think? Still sound to me like you are allowed multiples.

reading that I would concede that you can take up to 10 100 ml bottles.

i am calling the department of infostructure now to get you an answer.

you can take as much liquid as you like (within reason), simply purchase it at the duty free store after going through the baggage check.

Ok I called them the regulations state that you can carry as many bottles under 100mls as is reasonable, the airline you are flying with decides what is reasonable. He suggested that you call and ask and if you get an answer you like ask them for an email address so you can email your question, get a written reply, print it and take it with you.

Having been a flight attendant for the last 5 years it is 10 bottles of 100ml allowed. Why don't you take copious amounts of deodrant in the checked in luggage??? No limits there! What are you doingin japan??

Gone too far??? Ramzi Yousef ( mastermind of the original twin towers bombing), made a nitroglycerin bomb by taking small amounts of chemicals onto a plane and mixing them on board, Philippine Airlines Flight 437 - 1995. The bomb was then attached under a seat and was designed to blow a small hole in a small but very important section of the plane, that would then send it crashing into earth, luckily the design on the particular plane he was testing it out on (he had planned to do many more planes and this was just a test run) was set out differently to what he had planned, and he was unknowingly 3 rows out of place, and only managed to kill the Japanese man sitting on the seat, the plane was badly damaged but made a safe emergency landing...

Saying that, last year I travels on 5 flights from here to and around Thailand with large tubs of suntan cream in my carry on and never got picked up, my wife did on an internal thai flight only because she forgot the first aid kit had a pair of sissors in it so she lost them and her suntan cream...

Thats the thing JasonL and co. its not the airlines decision whether you can bring x amount of liquids on board. its the airport authorities and security. different airports with different staff will turn a blind eye sometimes.

when i was flying during all the security scares out of london heathrow even us crew were basically strip searched! the girls werent allowed any makeup or mascara, the boys werent allowed deodrant........ you can imagine after an 18 hour duty these were neccessities!!!!! we were no longer looking like the immaculate face of QANTAS lol...... but bedraggled ragdolls at the end of the flight!

OK JasonL, I can see that, but hey, crossing the road is a risk, why not drop the speed limit to 5km/hr?

Jay84 - we are (possibly silly) but only taking cabin luggage on the way and our return ticket allows the checked in baggage (so we can bring home more than we take). There are a few days we will have our luggage with us more than we'd like, which is why we are travelling light. Its only 11 days, we are taking 7 days clothes and basic toiletries and camera. Its not like its the ends of the earth, we will manage or try and buy what we need. A lot of the traditional accommodation we will be in a sexy :) japanese robe, so we are hoping our clothes will last. If not most places have laundry, including our 3 nights in Kyoto to get things washed and dried.

As for what we are doing, general sights, zoo, etc. 2 nights Tokyo, 2 nights Chidoricho (outskirts of Tokyo), 3 nights Kyoto, 1 night Nagoya, 2 nights in an expensive ($1200 for 2 nights!!) near Futo, www.fujiyoshi.com where the room has a spa pumped with water from the hot springs outside, 10 course meals (beef steak, lobster, scallops etc etc etc). Reviews have it as the best place people have ever stayed, and surpringly, 'expensive but worth it'. :)

Can't wait, but organising everything (including working out train timetables etc) myself in advance, I'm so stressed!! But everything will be so planned it will be lots easier when we get there. I've never been outside Australia and neither of us speak Japanese (other than junior high school stuff).

I just clicked on that link and its all japanese!!! but from the couple of pics on the homepage it does look lovely! it better be at that price, im sure it wont disappoint.

sounds like a nice little trip you have planned. is it an anniversary or other special occasion? mek sure u take lots of snaps and post them on here.

I just clicked on that link and its all japanese!!! but from the couple of pics on the homepage it does look lovely! it better be at that price, im sure it wont disappoint.

sounds like a nice little trip you have planned. is it an anniversary or other special occasion? mek sure u take lots of snaps and post them on here.

Yes, I've had trouble with some of the sites only in Japanese. Google has a translator which is not too bad, gives some idea.

That fujiyoshi has quite a good reputation, although isn't as popular with westerners as a lot of places because the area its in isn't quite as much to do and a little more out of the way, not to mention they don't do much english. I rang them though and there is a lovely lady (most of the japanese have been so polite and helpful) who speaks some broken english, so it was all good. They even pick us up from the station too. They also offered to change our Sashimi dish to the Beef steak because we don't eat as much fish, which is great. I think it will be fantastic.

Special occasion, you could say that, its our honeymoon. We get married on Friday. :) I wouldn't be spending the money on that place otherwise.

Oh and I should say a huge THANK YOU to 'frankc' on here who has been a great help and whose wife even rang Fujiyoshi in Japan for us (she is Japanese). Top couple of people. :)

my understanding is that its 10, 100ml bottles. and i think thats in your carry on luggage. dont think theres a limit to any checked in luggage. but best bet would be to ring your airline and ask them, at least that way you will get the correct answer

Ok I called them the regulations state that you can carry as many bottles under 100mls as is reasonable,

Oh, that was nice of you. Thanks for the info, I could have got around to ringing or emailing but with the wedding on Friday and the holiday which I had nothing booked until Tuesday, I haven't had a chance to scratch myself!!! The minor stuff will be organised next week.

OK JasonL, I can see that, but hey, crossing the road is a risk, why not drop the speed limit to 5km/hr?
QUOTE]

Because generally you don't have people trying to run you down? :lol:, but speaking of such, they have dropped the speed zones in plenty of places, the Princes Hwy at Heathcote went from 70 to 50 after a child was killed, not to mention school zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back