Treatment for internal parasites & worms - info needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Reaction score
Hi all you groovers

Just curious to know what others do inrelation to general worming & treatment of internal parasites.

How often do people treat?

I have Nephrurus geckos and want to treat them safely - I dont have any problems but want to know how you guys do it.

I guess its like dogs & cats which you have to treat all the time.

Cheers

Ari

Probably every 6 months is best. Or you can worm them as they're going into their cooling period, and then again when they come out of cooling. I often inject panacur into a small food item that will be digested quickly so that the panacur is effective. Or occasionally i'll take an animal to the vets and he will squirt panacur down the throat using a long dosing needle. Usually 2 doses are needed, a week or 2 weeks apart.

You dont have to treat them all the time, though. I've got 7 year old pythons that have never been wormed. As long as you're feeding them disease-free rodents from respectable breeders/suppliers and not wild rodents, then internal parasites shouldn't turn up often enough to be a concern.

As for your geckoes, stick to the woodies/crickets available from pet shops and avoid wild ones. Internal parasites can still occur from feeding apparantly clean insects to lizards and you can use the same recommended dose for lizards as you can snakes.

I am using Ivomec for worming and flagyl for the other nasties.
When I started this hoby, I was dosing half yearly ivomec, but now I use it only once a year and sometimes not on all snakes. If I can see that animal is healthy and eat well, I don't dose. Maby I should, but I did not lost any snakes due parasite problem so far.

i use flagyl suspension for the parasites 1ml per 1kg an wormout gel for da worms 1ml per 1kg on my pythons if i think they any of them nasty things.

Jonno Lucas reckons Flagyl suspension is better? When Monty was crook the Vet crushed up 1/4 tablet of Flagyl in tinned cat food and squirted down his neck. IT DIDN'T SAVE POOR MONTY! Sob~ Cheers Cheryl

Cheers everyone for your advise.

But what would be the safest to use considering they are knob tailed geckos, which are much smaller than Beardies and pythons?

And what would be a safe dosage?

Is there a powder disolving one available where I can drip it onto the snouts of geckos so they can lick it off at all?

Cheers

Ari

Hi All

Just thought I would post an update on my Vets recommendation for small reptiles like Geckos when it comes to worming. Apparently Avitrol Plus is widely used by some vets which can be diluted with water and dropped or sprayed onto geckos so they can lick it off without any real disturbance. Obviously it depends on the size and the amount of water a specimen drinks - but was advised 10 drops in 20 mls of water should be relatively safe - considering it is used to worm baby birds as well.

Once again this dosage is based on the size & amount of water my geckos consume. Check with your Vet for individual situations.

Hopefully this post will help others out, as there was really no information on the web about worming geckos.

Cheers

Ari

Science Products manufactures a product called Worm Rid that kills all the types of worms. 0.4 ml/kg, easy to use. Pet shops sell them.
Iceman, where do you get Flagyl suspension from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back