Tree Advice Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AntaresiaLady

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello again all,

We have a gum tree out the back yard, and I am considering chopping a nice branch off for our Stimmy, she just has a plastic crappy one in there atm.

Does anyone have any advice on how to disinfect it safely? And will it be okay to use a 'non dead' branch in her cage?

I read of two ways to disinfect was to pour scalding hot water over it a couple ot times, and the other was to use a bleach solution (which I then read was NOT a good idea as some of the bleach may leech into the branch/leaves)

What is your favourite disinfecting process?

dilute 10ml permoxin to 400ml warm water, put in a spray bottle and drench ya log.
when it dries do it a couple more times and give a VERY GOOD rinse.
works a charm.

If you screw the branch in and it's not fully cured, it will warp your cage.

As a non-python keeper myself, is there any conclusive evidence to prove that using a green branch will lead to an unhealthy python??

I use these all the time with my monitors with no ill effects. IMO, it provides environmental enrichment as they check out any new smells!

Cheers,

Varanus.

If I used a bit of tree from out the back, I'd be disinfecting it WELL before putting it in Hermione's cage.

Just rememeber that when you cut down a tree of whatever type...it leaches out sap for a while...and it will have a real funny smell to it until it drys out thoroughly...... In an enclosure that smell can be a lil overpowering...

I learnt the hard way.......

I have used bleach(diluted) many times on logs and have never had problems associated with it yet, not saying there aren't possible problems that it can cause
just i haven't had problems. I always rinse it well afterwards. What problems have been associated with using bleach to disinfect with?

i have dead branches across the road from me and would also like to know if they would be ok with my childreni ?

Parko...I read that the bleach can be absorbed by the tree/plant material and then transfer it to the reptile. Not sure what the damage would be.

am i the only one here that just uses branches without sterilizing them???

no i dont usually but when i have a fire going out the back ill put the branch in/over the fire for a minuite mabey kill any natys more for the mental well being of my snakes new smells and surfaces

dose that mean that i could just grab a few dead branches from across the road and throw them in and it wont ba a prob ?

I've been planning for ages to get one of those steam guns for just this sort of thing.

Hey you know thats a good idea and use for one. I saw some in the 'cheaper than usual' shop the other day...I might pick one up!

Strange... snakes don't live in sterile environments in the wild, in fact their cages will in all respects be dirtier than their home ranges in the wild, and I daresay that their branches actually become dirtier in their cages than they do outside. Why "sterilise"? What would a branch carry that would cause a problem?

The most that should be necessary is that due to the (extremely remote) chance they may carry a parasite such as mites or even a tick, pouring boiling water over it a couple of times will do all you need.

As far as bleach (hypochlorite solution) is concerned, it deactivates so rapidly on contact with organic material (dirt, wood etc) that it simply wouldn't be a problem if absorbed into wood. Leave it in the sun for a couple of hours and it would be no problem at all, but because of the nature of wood, it is unlikely you could ever make it bacterially sterile. Fresh branches are fine, just as acceptable as dead wood, as long as they come from non-toxic plants, and they are not from sap-bleeding species such as the figs of various species. Euc branches, dead or alive, are excellent.

By the way, is that Leon fronm Ferndale? If so, how's it all going???

Cheers, Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back