Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great photos Cris :wink: Do you keep any captive GTS or BTS at all? Very interesting species that I would like to get at some stage. I particularly like the GTS blue and yellow phases and the (katherine form) brown tree snake (night tiger)

Nice pics. I also have one living in my yard, but everytime I see it I don't have a camera handy and by the time I get it its gone, as they move very quickly up into the trees.

In summer I also have a family of Water Dragons around my pool and have also seen a Bearded dragon and a Blue Tongue , not to mention hudreds of Asian House geckos and Cane Toads. Our neighbours have also said there used to be a Carpet Python living around the house, but have never seen this.

Thats amazing, you are so lucky to have these things in your backyard!!

All I get is the occasional blue-tongue, and I even get excited about that hehe

Green Tree Snake saliva is an anti-coagulant, so when they bite it thins the blood at the bite site and causes you to bleed more profusely than you otherwise would. So no, they aren't venomous but I still wouldn't want to be bitten by one.

common tree snakes are solid toothed and can NOT deliver venom, unlike the brown tree snake that is rear fanged and mildly venomous. DR Brain Fry has found venom glands in many solid toothed colubrids, but has found none have yet to evolve the means to use it. Althuogh some he found had extremely potient venom.

Ahh great! So what's the temparament of these little things, because they're quite a stunning species.

I believe i have read about research finding BTS snakes can have a what are called 3 finger toxins which are similar in potency to death adder venom. THeir delivery methods arent as efficient but they can still deliver nasty bites. I cannot remember where i read it but from memory it comes from Brian Frys website forum. Found off this site. www.kingsnake.com/toxinology
AdamR

Edit. Upon finding and re-reading the post they weren't specifically talking about the BTS, rather the Boiga family. Though they did mention that there had been severe envenomations of children in guam by BTS. Sorry for my misleading.

well ive had a large female captive try and eat my finger very well i even bled a bit but sufferd no ill effects what soever only shock that she was that keen for a meal :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back