Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My wife and I spent the last 10 days at Mission Beach, Queensland. Mission Beach is a beautiful place and is one of our favourite family holiday destinations. I would highly recommend this area to those of you who visit the tropical north of Queensland. So far, it has escaped the massive resorts that have destroyed some of the other northern towns. It is a great spot for trips to the Great Barrier Reef, walks through the rainforest, day trips to the Atherton Tablelands or just lazing about the pool or the beach.

Mission Beach is located about a 1.5 hours south of Cairns or 2.5 hours north of Townsville. It is part of the region known as the wet tropics. November is the month when the wet season returns to the north but we experienced very little rain. This past year has been unusually dry with only 25mm of rain received during the winter months when 600mm would be expected. The lack of rainfall appears to have affected the reptile and frog numbers and I saw far fewer individuals than I have recorded in earlier years. Butterflies were also not as common or as diverse as I have seen before.

Here are a few photos of the area.

The beach of Mission Beach:
habitat_mb11.jpg

The view from the lookout at the top of Bicton Hill. From here, Dunk and the family group islands are clearly visible.
habitat_mb9.jpg

The rainforest is not overly tall due to the all too frequent cyclones that strike this area.
habitat_mb21.jpg

View along a creek through the rainforest.
habitat_mb2.jpg

habitat_mb16.jpg

Boyd's Forest Dragon (Hypsilurus boydii) -- I saw this dragon on two occasions. One night, I found a sleeping dragon on the side of a tree along the edge of the trail. The following day, I nearly stepped on what I think to be the same dragon as it sat on a rock in the trail. After a few photos, it inflated its dewlap and then bipedeled away into the forest. This was the first time that I have seen a Boyd's in the Mission Beach area. They seem to be more common up in the Atherton Tablelands.
lizard_BoydsForest1.jpg

lizard_BoydsForest2_400.jpg
lizard_BoydsForest4_400.jpg

lizard_BoydsForest6_400.jpg
lizard_BoydsForest10_400.jpg

lizard_BoydsForest9.jpg

Cassowary -- While I photographed the Boyd's Forest Dragon, I heard footsteps in the forest. The source remained out of sight, but when it was near, I heard its soft, rumbling call. It then walked off but remained unseen. I returned to the area about 45 minutes later and the source of the noise emerged onto the trail. It was this Cassowary. The bird was in adult plumage but was not overly large and had a fairly small casque. Mission Beach is a great place to see these birds but unfortunately, their numbers are in a decline. I am afraid that in the not too distant future, they will die out due to habitat fragmentation, too many cars and feral animals such as dogs and pigs.

"Macro" shots of the Cassowary. I did not have time to switch lenses.
Cassowary1.jpg

Cassowary3_400.jpg
Cassowary2_400.jpg

This was a good indication of Cassowary activity. I think that dietary studies of Cassowaries would be easy. Many of the rainforest plants produce large fruits that appear to be targeted towards dispersal by Cassowaries.
Cassowary4.jpg

Prickly Forest Skink (Gnypetoscincus queenslandiae) -- I was surprised to see one of these skinks at Mission Beach. They are abundant in the Atherton Tablelands but I have not seen one before near Mission Beach.
lizard_mb_prickly4.jpg

lizard_mb_prickly2_400.jpg
lizard_mb_prickly3_400.jpg

Carlia rubrigularis -- This species of skink was by far the most numerous reptile at Mission Beach. I did not see nearly as many this year as before but it still was common. These skinks were social and lived in the leaf little of the forest understorey.
lizard_CarliaRubrigularis4.jpg

lizard_CarliaRubrigularis1_400.jpg
lizard_CarliaRubrigularis2_400.jpg

White-lipped Tree Frog (Litoria infrafrenata) -- These are the largest of all tree frogs. They were fairly common along the edge of the rainforest.
frog_infrafrenata2.jpg

frog_infrafrenata3_400.jpg
frog_infrafrenata4_400.jpg

Ornate Nursery Frog (Cophixalus sp., maybe C. ornatus) -- These little frogs were easy to hear but not so easy to observe. I usually found them calling from clusters of dead leaves that had collected at the base of branches a meter or two above the ground.
frog_ornatenursery2.jpg

Dwarf Tree Frog (Litoria fallax) -- I saw a few of these on the road.
frog2_mb.jpg

Litoria jungguy -- The males of this species were particularly photogenic. This was a common frog along creeks or rivers of the area. I usually found males perched on fronds of palms or on small rocks right in the creek bed.
frog_jung5.jpg

frog_jung1_400.jpg
frog1_mb_400.jpg

frog_jung2_400.jpg
frog_jung4_400.jpg

I found a few species of native fish in the creeks.
1,2 -- Snake-headed Gudgeon
3 -- Jungle Perch and Rainbow Fish
4 -- Rainbow Fish
fish_SnakeHeadedGudgeon1_400.jpg
fish_SnakeHeadedGudgeon3_400.jpg

fish_perch_rainbow1_400.jpg
fish_rainbow1_400.jpg

arthro_shrimp2.jpg

These dragonflies were common and brightly coloured.
arthro_dragonfly3.jpg

The following two species of butterflies provide an example of Batesian Mimicry. Photos 1 and 2 are Black-and-White Aeroplane (Neptis praslini), a "tasty" member of family Nymphalidae. Photos 3 and 4 are of a Hamadryad (Tellervo zoilus), a "distasteful" member of family Ithomiidae. The butterflies are almost identical in pattern but in fly quite differently. The aeroplane flies with quick snaps of the wings followed by a flat-winged glide. The Hamadryad flies with fluttery wing beats more like a Cabbage Butterfly. Aeroplanes usually would land on the upper surface of a leaf whereas Hamadryads usually would land inverted beneath a leaf.
butterfly_blackwhiteaeroplane1_400.jpg
butterfly_blackwhiteaeroplane2_400.jpg

butterfly_hamadryad1_400.jpg
butterfly_hamadryad2_400.jpg

1. Evening Brown - a Nymphalid that is a good dead leaf mimic.
2. Australian Rustic
butterfly_eveningbushbrown1_400.jpg
butterfly_rustic1_400.jpg

1. Blue-banded Eggfly, male.
2. Blue-banded Eggfly, female.
butterfly_bluebanded1_400.jpg
butterfly_egg1_400.jpg

1. Australian Leaf Butterfly -- These are excellent mimics of dead leaves. Unfortunately, I was not able to take a photo of one of these butterflies when it was sitting in leaf litter.
butterfly_AustralianLeaf1_400.jpg
butterfly_AustralianLeaf3_400.jpg

1. Common Oakblue -- An interesting species whose larvae is cared for by Green Tree Ants.
2. Blue sp.
butterfly_oakblue1_400.jpg
butterfly_blue1_400.jpg

1. Young mantis
2. Plant Hopper (Homopteran)
3. Strange fly that would wave its white-tipped front legs.
arthro_mantis1_400.jpg
arthro_homop1_400.jpg

arthro_fly4.jpg

Cricket
arthro_cricket8.jpg

Spiders. Spider 4 below was killing a fire fly. Fire flies were common along Lacey Creek near Mission Beach. I saw one signalling rapidly and it did not seem to be moving. When I walked over to it, I found that it had been captured by this spider.
arthro_spider4_400.jpg
arthro_spider5_400.jpg

arthro_spider1_400.jpg
arthro_spider2_400.jpg

arthro_spider3.jpg

Flame Trees were flowering at Mission Beach and up in the Atherton Tablelands.
flower_flametree1.jpg

The following trees are members of Proteaceae. I believe that they are Macadamia.
plant_mb_proteaceae1_400.jpg
plant_mb_proteaceae2_400.jpg

1. This vine had strange, potato sized fruits.
2. New stems growing from the base of a forest ginger.
plant_mb_fruit1_400.jpg
flower_ginger1_400.jpg

1. A delicate fungus.
2. Phosphorescent fungus. These fungus glowed green on the forest floor, quite an incredible sight.
fungus_mb_1_400.jpg
fungus_mb_2400.jpg

1,2 -- Cycads were numerous in the rainforest. They were particularly numerous on hillsides such as Bicton Hill.
3 Barringtonia calyptra
plant_mb1_400.jpg
plant_cycad1_400.jpg

plant_cassowary_pine_barringtonia1.jpg

Fantastic! Amazing find with the cassowary. You are very lucky! And yes they have a massive role in the disperal of seeds in the rainforest, so much so that they are a keystone species in this habitat.

We (my family) stayed at mission beach for a month when we travelled around Australia ..absolutely loved it and we went over to Dunk Island whilst there ...its an amazing place ...great pictures you have taken ..

Great shots, I'm itching to get back up to FNQ again. Your Cophixalus is indeed C. ornatus, they are cute little frogs. The Litoria fallax is likely to be a Litoria bicolor based on where you found it however call is the most reliable way to distinguish the two.

Aaron

You Defiantly have 'the life' i would love to travel taking pics of wild animals,plants and insects it would be awesome!

Great report and pictures, im really enjoying the pics of all the butterflies, insect and spiders. Cant wait for the pt2
Thanks Tim.

The Litoria fallax is likely to be a Litoria bicolor based on where you found it however call is the most reliable way to distinguish the two.

Aaron

I agree, my first impressions was that it wasn't fallax too..
David, I used to be amazed at your pics, now I'm just in awe of how much you travel! Most people take four weeks holiday a year, you seem to be at home for four week a year.

Thanks, all.

Aaron and Jason,
Thanks for the correction. I am posting from Townsville and don't have access to my usual reference sites so thanks for the identification.

Jason,
I have been forced to use 12 weeks of long service leave and I don't intend to waste valuable holidays at home.

Regards,
David

Great pics again. i'll have a guess on the spiders,pic 1 and 3 are types of Nursery web spiders closely related to wolf spiders, pic 2 female Golden Orb and pic 4 a Wheel weaver.

Thanks for that, crackintepitch. I know very little about spiders.

Regards,
David

Great trip for inverts, although north Qld usually is! Very lucky spotting the lichen huntsman, they camouflage so well.

Jason,
I have been forced to use 12 weeks of long service leave and I don't intend to waste valuable holidays at home.

I'm in the same boat mate, i dont go back until january 14th. Thats if i dont have a career change in the meantime!!

Thanks, guys.

Jordo,
lichen huntsman -- thanks for the id. I found it when walking into the forest to try and take a pic of a Laced Monitor that was sheltering beneath a Pandanus. I disturbed the spider and saw it move. It did blend in well.

Regards,
David

Thanks, guys.

Jordo,
lichen huntsman -- thanks for the id. I found it when walking into the forest to try and take a pic of a Laced Monitor that was sheltering beneath a Pandanus. I disturbed the spider and saw it move. It did blend in well.

Regards,
David

Can offer a few more. Mantis is most likely a juv Hierodula majuscula.
The first spider is a giant water spider, Megadolomedes australianus.
And the big orb weaver with the red pedipalps is Nephila edulis (can't remember if edulis is the mallee species or the big tropical one you got but pretty sure).

Great pics! I especially liked the Boyd's & the Cassowary, although my favourite was surely the Snakehead Gudgeon, as I keep a pair of these in an aquarium. Great display specimens I reckon. Others can keep their brightly coloured tropicals & cichlids, give me a nice predatory Aus native any day.
And yes, those are macadamias in your pics.
Thanks for posting such a great set of pics again.

Thanks for help with the identifications, Jordo and Tonsky.

I agree with you about our native fish, Tonsky. I have seen photos of a number of beautiful gudgeons and rainbowfish from the tropics.

Regards,
David

Great pics! Good report too!
Living in Sydney I don't get to see as much wildlife as I'd like too.
I'd like to thank all you guys with your reports. Gives us city slickers a nice Glimpse of what is out there.

Great pictures.

The "new stems on forest ginger" are in fact Hornstedtia scottiana inflorescences and the bracts remain while fruits form inside. Cut sections of these can be seen at Dave Kimble's Rainforest Photo Catalogue and filter by "Hornstedtia". The fruits and fleshy bracts can be used in cooking, they have a mild ginger flavour suited to Indonesian dishes.

Dave, near Mission Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back