Turtle breeding questions ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus_the_beardie

Reaction score
hello,

Just asking about turtle breeding in my inside tank, they havent actually bred yet (i think) but wanted to know what i should do when they do.

thing is my tank has large pebbles and i dont know were my female would lay her eggs ?
when the time comes what do you guys suggest i do ?
ive read alot about it but still not certain as of what i need to do

P.S im certain they are a pair (male and female).

Advice is appreciated

They dig a burrow into sand and lay their eggs in the burrow. Unless you have a divder and a dry section of sand or similar substrate they wont be able to lay properly.

I dont really know but i think you may end up in trouble with them getting egg bound if they dont have anywhere to lay maybe? :?

if possible make a divider and have it about 3inches of sand

A siliconed glass panel separating dry sand from the water. so they can climb out of the water onto the sand, dig the hole and lay eggs. (think of sea turtles leaving the sea to lay eggs on beach as something of a comparison)

It might be a good idea to PM expansa1 or someone who knows what they are on about.

Usually ppl breed turtles in outdoor areas, ive never heard of anyone breeding in a tank before but i guess it would be possible. Before you go and modify your tank i would suggest you get some advice from someone who breeds turtles.

They usually lay when it rains to so im not sure if you would need to simulate that at all :?

on the platform is it possible to dig in a little bit? if so fill it with sand

i guess i could modify it and put sand in it, the turtles dont really go up and bask (i put them out for sun)

but i guess if the female is gravid she would go and search for dry sand !

I don't breed turtles so have no idea but if your tank was tall enough couldn't you buy a small kitty litter tray or similar and put it on top of the platform full of sand - added bonus you could just lift it out at the end so it doesn't take away from the asthetic value and is easy to clean. It would need to be secure though so it didnt slip.
Just a thought

No i havn't done it before all tho have seen it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back