Turtle growth rate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just wondering what the normal growth rate for a turtle is, how old is normal for approx 20cm shell?

i have found it deppends on the turtle , my murry short necks are 18 months old and there doublw the size of my smaller eastern long necks that iv had for 2+ years.

i would think it would depend on the turtle. My two are the same age yet one is almost twice as big. From what i've been told the smaller one could have more kreft blood in it, which would make it grow slower. I'm no expert though.

should have added the species, saw shelled turtle. I have one here that i got as a youngster about 4-5years ago, i estimate the age at 6-7years and the carapace is approx 20cm, to me that does sound a little small but from what i have read i'm not too sure

should have added the species, saw shelled turtle. I have one here that i got as a youngster about 4-5years ago, i estimate the age at 6-7years and the carapace is approx 20cm, to me that does sound a little small but from what i have read i'm not too sure
im not sure with saw shells , are they a long neck or short ?

sort neck, Wollumbinia latisternum

Also depends on sex, males are generally smaller and slower growing.

I would say there is no hard and fast rule to determine age as they vary heaps.

not trying to determine age, just want to determine if that size is ok for the age, i know the age is around 6-7yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back