Turtle Size limits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue is that many pet shops fail to mention to (idiot)customers that a 'Penny Turtle'becomes the size of a dinner plate.Little turtles look cute and are bought on an impulse. IMO Turtles should only be sold by licenced breeders who can give proper information to customers than the bull***t that petshops tell them.I should know as I work in a wildlife hospital and am continually getting calls from morons who want to see if we can take their turtles as they didnt realise how big they got.So in a nutshell I think most (apart from pails ect that give good advice)petshops should not sell turtles.

Right on the Money there

i really hope this rule get changed, they should make it, for turtles under 10cm, u have to have a lic..

Agreed

i think turtles shoudl be sold from breeders

i also think that you should have to have a permit to buy a turtle in vic

as the common long necks and murrys are currently off permi... there is nothign from stoping a 10 year old from walking into a petshop, and buying one, regardless of whether they have a permit or not

its an interesting issue

what also is bad is buying not common turtles
like broad shelled and saw shelled

cause we cant buy hatchies we have to pay big bucks for adults which is not fair

I totally agree! You should only be able to buy turtles that are native to your state in Pet Shops.

Just recently I had someone who purchased their Murray River turtle from a Pet Shop here in QLD ask which river they can release it into as it had outgrown it's tank in a year.

We explained the laws to them (which they should have already understood) as they had a licence and had rung the Pet Shop for help.

It isn't good to release any Pet into the wild let alone any non-native animal in your state.

Broad-shelled turtles are common in Vic, SA, NSW and Qld.

i totaly agree with everything exspansa has said in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back