turtle tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3ptile.boy

Reaction score
haye guys/girls

i was thinking of setting up a turtle tank soon as im looking to get a turtle, and was wondering if river sand or other type sand is alright to put on the bottom instead of rocks.
i have seen some pics of tanks with it and i recon it looks heaps better then the little pebels.

cheers,

Personally I wouldn't use it for my boy (Kreffts shortneck). He's a guts and constantly tests everything to see if he can swallow it; I rekon if he had pebbles, sand, small rocks that he could swallow, he would swallow them.

I've heard stories of turtles becoming impacted due consumption of both sand and pebbles.

edit: I've been using black polished river rocks, I rekon they look great. I just removed any that were small enough to fit in his mouth. He loves burrowing around through them, pushing them aside etc looking for food.

all the best if you decide to get a turt, theyre a lot of work and expensive to set up but I love my boy :)

Last edited:
I have play sand in my 8 foot tank with my Elseya albagula and kreffts turtle, I have watched them constantly and have not seen them eat any. Even eating banana and dried fig off the floor they don't ingest any sand. I wouldn't chance it with hatchies though.

Sand does look fantastic in my opinion, is easy to clean and the turtles love to dig around in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back