Turtles Getting up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldheav

Reaction score
Anyones turtles starting to wake up

alot of mine have

Last edited by a moderator:
i was riding on mountainbike through a narrow bush gully today in sydney,and i came across
a longneck turtle trunderling along near the creek in the bottom.
it was away from the water which was running in the oposite direction
it might have been washed down in the heavy rain last week

My last one woke up yesterday, 2 are out basking now, 1 is in the water.

my one woke up 2 weeks ago, started to bask this week and is pigging out on food for the past week

good to hear

i was draining out one of my ponds today my broad shells have grown

inever had that happen in winter

my females are now around 60cm SHL they are HUGe

hibernating long necks

i'm in melbourne suburbs and i have some young long neck turtles. just wondering at what age/size should i let them start hibernating. and how do i do so, i know ur meant to not feed them for a few days/weeks before hand, but i'd have no idea when to stop feeding them. and do they normally hibernat in water or soil. love to hear ur experiences

how old are they mate

usually after three winters they are rady to hibernate

Flickchick,
"i'm in melbourne suburbs and i have some young long neck turtles. just wondering at what age/size should i let them start hibernating."
Turtles grow at different rates, depending on their diet and how much they have been fed. Basically, for longnecks (Chelodina longicollis), once their carapace is about 10cm, they are big enough to survive the cold of winter outdoors.
"how do i do so, i know ur meant to not feed them for a few days/weeks before hand, but i'd have no idea when to stop feeding them."
Transfer them to a large outdoor pond, once the water temperature has risen to about the same temperature as your indoor tank. Gradually cool your indoor tank if you need to bring it down to match the pond temperature. Normally, the indoor/outdoor water temperature will be the same sometime in Spring. It depends on many factors, including how warm it is where you live, how much sun your pond gets, how deep it is and how warm your tank is.
Once they are in the outdoor pond, leave them they. The pond will gradually heat over Summer and then gradually cool as we head into Winter. The turtles will gradually and naturally cool down with the water temperature.
Once the water temperature drops to about 16ºC (probably around Easter time), stop offering them food. By the time the water drops to about 14ºC they will have lost interest in feeding anyway, and you'll be seeing them less frequently.
do they normally hibernat in water or soil.
Water. Especially if you have a big deep pond. If you have a little, shallow pond, they'll probably hibernate on land. But, I would never recommend keeping turtles in a little or shallow pond.
Regards,
Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back