Turtles Of the Lake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
60 is a lot.

Was wondering are there shells permantly scarred from the worms ?

turtles cost money to save,where as horticulture makes money for australias acommony,the goverments only care about the buck,its disgracefull that they have let the murry turn in to what it has

turtles cost money to save,where as horticulture makes money for australias acommony,the goverments only care about the buck,its disgracefull that they have let the murry turn in to what it has

I totally agree, over a decade of Howard and he did NOTHING

No aussie. Once we remove it the shell is untouched. It is not difficult to remove. It crumbles fairly easily and any left on [ difficult areas like tight up around the legs ] dissolves after a short time in clean fresh water.
You are spot on richardsc. The government wont stop crops like vineyards etc because of the money they create, especially wine. I have a special dislike for vineyards [ as some here will already be well aware, lol.] but they are not the only ones. Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind letting fruit orchards like citrus go under while the vineyards continue to developed & added to? And why do dairyfarmers go to the wall while wineries continue to get water? The lakes and rivers are dying but the pumps still run.............

It seems incredible that something that can be cleaned up so easily (in comparison to other turtle problems) can cause some much trouble to your turtles.

Having never been to SA ,I know very little about your agriculture except that its known for its wineyards and wines. Do they get preferential water allocation/ allowances?

Creating all those dams and diverting water certainly opened new areas of agriculture, but we were slow to see what long term damage we were doing to the waterways. Its good to see communities and groups of concerned people working to restore damaged waterways and river banks. Even better to see school age kids really involved and working in help our turtles.

We can clean the shells, we can feed the turtles and bring them back up to full strength again but the real problem remains. Salty water. We need an huge injection of fresh water and that can only come from upstream. But is there any to send down to here? That is the recent discussion. And even if we do get it, how long before it, too gets sucked up by irrigators? Frustrating doesn't quite cover it, does it!

You are fighting a losing battle! Really the govt needs to step in and take responsibilty, what is your local member doing?

Good question. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. It is not a new prob though. I can remember learning about the Murray & the salinity at school 20 odd years ago! My question is why has nothing been done long before now??? Why does it have to get this bad before anyone takes notice and tries to do anything?

An update.....still more turtles coming in but now we are cleaning and then setting them up in hibernation pens. The school has converted a chook yard into a turtle pen, complete with a couple of ponds and a shed which has a thick layer of straw down for the turtles to hide in. Pics are fabulous cos it has rained non-stop here for the last few days. As soon as we get some sun I'll take more. 6 of the turtles I have cared for are now in this pen. The others are still with me & I received 2 more tinies yesterday. Honestly, these kids are amazing! They are working SO hard to help save these turtles.

Attachments

• turtle hibernation shed Aug 2008 001.jpg
    turtle hibernation shed Aug 2008 001.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 31
  • turtle hibernation shed Aug 2008 002.jpg
    turtle hibernation shed Aug 2008 002.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 30
  • turtle hibernation shed Aug 2008 003.jpg
    turtle hibernation shed Aug 2008 003.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 43
Ta timmo but the credit goes to the Milang school kids....[including wassa & turtle_girl ]. They go out into the lake [ waist deep at times ] regardless of how cold it is! They are on a mission & I am proud of all of them for their determination to help these poor turtles!

There is a place in Victoria where a lot of turtles could be re-homed
Its called Turtle lake in newport and its massive it is an old mine area that is now a huge fresh water wet lands there are many long necks all ready there
Just a thought.....

Great kids, great school

I have to admire those kids - I 'm sure that water must be mighty cold down there in Sth Australia. We winge up here in Qld when its a little bit cold.

What a great school! What great students.

Another 52 turtles were found yesterday. Including this one, which was given to me today. She is in a real bad way unfortunately. She was weighed before & after cleaning....4.6kg before, 2.4kg after. That is a whopping 2.2kg of tubeworm coral she had on her! Almost her own body weight! She was found in a small puddle and has been chewed by, we think, water rats, as she has lots of open wounds and marks. She is extremely weak & although I am hoping we can save her, I don't think she will make it. The vet has put her on a long acting anti-biotic & IF she is still here on Saturday I will give her a 2nd injection.
On a happier note, the ones we have shedded are all doing really well, so they will be ready for release [ ??] in the spring.

Attachments

• Will she make it.... 002.jpg
    Will she make it.... 002.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Will she make it.... 001.jpg
    Will she make it.... 001.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Will she make it.... 005.jpg
    Will she make it.... 005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 31
sam i want to cry :( poor little darling!
u guys rock for doing this!
u deserve that person of the year award thats always on telly

Kakariki is there anyway way we can give financial assistance to the project to help pay for the food and equipment required? A bank account or paypal account?

channi..I will ask the school. The vet is giving treatment free of charge [ thanks heaps to the Strathalbyn Vet Clinic!]. Atm, I am paying for the bloodworms but I am sure I could get help from the school if I needed it. Channel 10 has given Milang campus $2000 Environment award to help with the turtles. Thanks channi, for the suggestion & for caring enough to add a comment.
Lana...I am one of a great group of people who are working together. I certainly couldn't do it alone & yes, a few tears have been shed along the way I can assure you!

That second picture of the turtle you got today is devastating. I could gather up a few mates and come down for a couple of weeks to help out, with collecting them and possibly building more areas if you need it.

Thanks Rocky! I will let you know. We could definitely have used your help a couple of months ago.
I am wondering whether I should put this girl into some warm water. I dont want her to dehydrate & she is probably suffering from salt poisoning also. But she is so weak I am afraid she may drown or the wounds will get worse. What would be best do you think? I have water heaters and she is under a heat lamp atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back