Turtles! Turtles! Turtles!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benan

Reaction score
Hello, i'm interested in buying a couple turtles.. male and female

First, I don't want BIG turtles I want ones the size of your hand (At full growth) i have searched images of long necked turtles, short necked and saw shell they are too big for my liking :)

2. I'm 14 so I need a license my mum said she might let me get a turtle depending on the costs.
3. What kind of tank do I need? do a regular fish tank (Big one) satisfy their needs, or they a POND (Which I cant have because my dogs will eat them :( )
4. How much a week/month does it cost in food? what do they eat?

Once I find out more i have more questions! thankyou ;)

Oh, I didnt think so (They are when they are babys) well can you tell me the breed of the SMALLEST ful grown turtle (Short neck) :rolleyes:

but they get really heavy :p and harder to look after I guess would i need a pond when they are fullllll grown?

Well I want a cute turtle :p (Man I sound like a fairy) I duno.. short neck looks better than long neck but they grow heaps large

define long time. Years/months?

and how do turtles have sex! are they like frogs boy can lay eggs and so can females or females have to lay eggs and males insemenate them?

Yea thats a well known fact i learnt @ the wet lands over here in newcastle. if I dont get a turtle i might breed fish

macleay river turtles(emydura maquarii) only get to 18cm(carapace length). Apart from that no other turtles that are smaller are available in captivity.
Turtles do have sex too.

Repz If you wanan keep a baby theres no point getting just 1 in a 3 foot tank. But if you want 1 fully grown yer 3 foot would be sufficient for a short neck, long neck or saw shelled.

Repz Not really, You can build a 3 foot tank for a fully grown short neck or long neck to live in.

have you ever seen a adult turtle of those species, a 3 foot tank is far to small for an adult.

Never heard of them turtles can you post some images of them please =]?

no i dont have any pics, they look just like murray short necks(these are often just called short necks) if you google "emydura macquarii" you should find something.

i adult murry river turtle (maquarii, not maclay the normal ones) grow to about 30cm how can you keep it in a tank 90cm long its to small. they would need a min of 6x2x2 ft imo.
they also need heat and uv

I want the smallest turtle possible even when full grown how big of a tank will i need? and how long would it take for them to grow fully

my murrays have gone from 20c peice size to 7cm in 4 months

WOW! Im seriously thinking of breeding fish LOL turtles seem to cost some money (tank, supplies etc)

Hey guys,

Macleay river short necks are for sure the smallest if thats what your wanting i have kept them in a 3 and 4 foot tank at adult with no problem and bought them from a guy who bred them in that size tank. They all hatch out tiny but obviously will grow so a 1 foot tank is fine when they are small but you will need to upgrade as they grow other wise their shell will deform etc. If you go to your local aquarium im sure there will be setups that you could buy with a heater and filter etc and as said earlier make sure u get a good UV light for the tank. I know of some people who will have some for sale in a couple of months if you are interested?

Cheers
Nath

Macleay river short necks are for sure the smallest if thats what your wanting i have kept them in a 3 and 4 foot tank at adult with no problem and bought them from a guy who bred them in that size tank. They all hatch out tiny but obviously will grow so a 1 foot tank is fine when they are small but you will need to upgrade as they grow other wise their shell will deform etc. If you go to your local aquarium im sure there will be setups that you could buy with a heater and filter etc and as said earlier make sure u get a good UV light for the tank. I know of some people who will have some for sale in a couple of months if you are interested?

Cheers
Nath

That sounds good. Would I need a bigger tank for a female and male Macleay River turtle (Full grown)?

ive kept the pair in those sized tanks with out a problem and no they are not exactly the same as a common short neck, short neck is a generalised term that can relate to northern snappers, saw shelled, murry river, mary river etc etc, these are a short neck from macleay river that is closley related to the murray short neck. tehy look pretty much the same just dont grow as large. And with out feeding them too much just nice and constantly they wont grow too fast, just nice and constantly. They can average in price, depends who they are off and if there are many around that year etc. im not too sure how much these will be going for but i doubt it will be untill december give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back