Twitching

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with licky. Used with care, ie: according to the instructions, is probably the safest mite control to use around reptiles.

The investigated cases where there have been issues have all involved significant miss use like somebody who used 12 cans in a room at once.

Even when overdoses happen the formulation is broken down much quicker than other insecticide options.

I have used TOD for years without issue. Only once in Australia for mites. We keep a can handy to deal with escaped feeder insects for which the lightest fog in the room is effective.

Still hangin' in!

G'day all,
He is still with us, he hasn't improved much since last post, maybe a little quicker...

I have posted exactly how I used the product, if it was miss use at all could someone tell me, and inform me on the correct procedures?

i'll keep everyone posted,

Dan.

I was told by Clayton Knight(reptile vet) that TOD shouldn't be used on young snakes as it can kill them, he actually had one snake in being treated for TOD poisoning the day I was there.
Hope your snake pulls through without any permanent damage done.

I hope i never have to treat for mites because i wouldnt know what to do or what to use.
There are so many posts about what each members uses and even then a small percentage will tell others to stay clear from TOD. Some will say do not spray the animal and others say dont.

Then there's the other products and made up ones like metho and water.

Is it fair to say that no product is 100% safe to use therefore one would be taking a small risk when treating for mites and hope that the outcome is a good one.

IF LJ follwed the directions to the T what the hey happened?, it does seem like he did all the right things.

I hope i never have to treat for mites because i wouldnt know what to do or what to use.
There are so many posts about what each members uses and even then a small percentage will tell others to stay clear from TOD. Some will say do not spray the animal and others say dont.

Then there's the other products and made up ones like metho and water.

Is it fair to say that no product is 100% safe to use therefore one would be taking a small risk when treating for mites and hope that the outcome is a good one.

IF LJ follwed the directions to the T what the hey happened?, it does seem like he did all the right things.
that is fair to say no product is 100% safe for your animal even if you do follow the instructions spot on there is still a risk but thats like all meds :D

Thanks elapid, i notice you wouldnt use TOD, just out curiousity what would you use?
thanks hun

i would say it was twitching and acting funny because the mites were on the move.
if it was a dog it would have been scratching like crazy to get the annoying mites off itself but pythons can not. it was actually working but.......
tod is for enclosures ....
never put your herp back in if it is still present. remove bowls
use water based mite stuff on your herp and also bath it in between daily doses
go to the vet

i use to use orange med
it was a human lice treatment and it worked wickedly. but i havent had the problem in years and am not sure if it is still available, it had an orange label.

Thanks elapid, i notice you wouldnt use TOD, just out curiousity what would you use?
thanks hun
i have no proplems with it used to spray out enclosures as long as they are aired out real good you can soak your snake in water with velvet soap in it that will drown the mites do that a couple of times saying that make sure you dont drown the snake to see everything has risks thats how i do it but thats just me :D

i use to use orange med
it was a human lice treatment and it worked wickedly. but i havent had the problem in years and am not sure if it is still available, it had an orange label.
if you use orange medic now it will kill your snake they changed the formular do not use it

Guys, even though you follow the TOD instructions to the letter, you can still have problems. It is definately the best mite control on the market today, however about 1 in 500 snakes are highly allergic to the spray. Just like some people react and die from peanuts and strawberries. It is alway best when using it on your animals for the first time to give it a tiny spray first, and wait an hour or so to see if there is a reaction. If none then give a full dose.

When I first tested TOD on my snakes many years ago, only two of my snakes reacted to it. One was a Woma, the other a large Water Python. Both showed exactly the same symptoms you have described. I washed both down with water, and completely cleaned there cages. Both recovered in a few days.

If a young snake which is allready anemic from mites, has an allergic reaction from TOD, ir could easily die, or take a lot longer to recover. Care should always be used when treating any hatchlings, or large elapids such as Copperheads, Tigers and Adders. And never spray young Copperheads, Tigers or Adders as these 3 species are highly vunerable to any insectercides and can easily die.

Sad to hear about the poor snakes being effected. :cry:

I am so paranoid about any toxicity and will not use any chemicals near Snakey. It all too risky imho. I do the same with my other animals and for myself, I try to keep away as many chemicals as possible and try to find safe natural alternatives. Having said that, I dont know what to do in the case of mites and I hope I will never have to face it. :shock:

I hope all goes well LJtorana!

i have no proplems with it used to spray out enclosures as long as they are aired out real good you can soak your snake in water with velvet soap in it that will drown the mites do that a couple of times saying that make sure you dont drown the snake to see everything has risks thats how i do it but thats just me :D

so IYO what would you consider thats "aired out real good"

Guys, even though you follow the TOD instructions to the letter, you can still have problems. It is definately the best mite control on the market today, however about 1 in 500 snakes are highly allergic to the spray. Just like some people react and die from peanuts and strawberries. It is alway best when using it on your animals for the first time to give it a tiny spray first, and wait an hour or so to see if there is a reaction. If none then give a full dose.

When I first tested TOD on my snakes many years ago, only two of my snakes reacted to it. One was a Woma, the other a large Water Python. Both showed exactly the same symptoms you have described. I washed both down with water, and completely cleaned there cages. Both recovered in a few days.

If a young snake which is allready anemic from mites, has an allergic reaction from TOD, ir could easily die, or take a lot longer to recover. Care should always be used when treating any hatchlings, or large elapids such as Copperheads, Tigers and Adders. And never spray young Copperheads, Tigers or Adders as these 3 species are highly vunerable to any insectercides and can easily die.
Well said and thanks for the additional caution for elapids, I didn`t know that. It`s true, you do learn something new everyday :)

don't spray it on the animal.
Put your snake in a tub of 30' water deep enough for it to submerge itself. That should get all the mites off. They drown in the water.
Then spray the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back