Two Green Tree Frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tandj

Reaction score
Hi! We have just purchased two beautiful green tree frogs and have set up our tank but i have noticed some white furry type mould growing over the rocks? Has anyone had this problem? And if so what did you do. Thanks :?

Hi,
How long has it taken for the mould to grow? Do you have any flowing water or filtration system in the enclosure? Do you let the water that you add to the tank sit for two weeks before you add it to the tank or do you add it straight from the tap?

Hi Hallie
The mould has grown in about five days, we dont have any filtration system, and yes just straight from the tap. Should you let it sit for two weeks, what about rain water? We are donig water changes and cleaning the tank at the moment weekly, we thought it would be at least fortnightly, but there dirty little buggers with enormous poo!

They do get active and make a mess, especially at night. In my opinion rain water would be best. The reason not to put tap water straight in is because tap water contains metals, chlorine and other impurities which the frogs absorb through there skin and isnt good for their health. If you must use tap water put it in a bucket and let it sit for a week or two to let the impurities sink to the bottom, then use all except the bottom 5cms of water in the bucket.

As for the mould, i would give the whole enclosue a good scrub with hot water and a stiff brush
(dont use solvents ofcourse, because that will harm you frogs) Then when you put it all back together use rain water to fill it up. Maybe the tap water could be causing the mould?

Also a pump or filter to move the water around in the enclosure is a good idea to stop the water from stagnating. (gentle waterfalls look pretty cool and the frogs love them).

I hope this helps...;)

Also,

If you use a small filter you wont have to change the water so often, just clean the filter. Moving water stops it from smelling too...:)

Thankyou so much Hallie, will definately try those ideas. Loving our froggies and hoping to settle into happy healthy lives with them. I have two young boys who just adore them. Thank you again, will look into filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back